• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damnit Rach this thread is good

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

productweekender.jpg

I really like this one. pic isn't big but it looks like it has unfinished edges. combined with that particular leather it's a great look. pricey though

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rach What's the better porter stuff like? Is the leather good? I like the minimalist designs and the price points are quite good. I could see myself getting these two:
080-04952_5.jpg
080-04949_8.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I find them excellent for the price. I have no idea what the US retail is, but the most expensive full-grain leather stuff I've seen were briefcases at around $400-500 (40-50K yen) in Japan. Sometimes the styles are almost too utilitarian, and they sacrifice refinement for durability, but overall, and especially given the HUGE range of products they make, I think Porter is a winner.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks rach, appreciate it. If I have any bag questions, your the man hands down.

I really like MMM bags as well, but they aren't really work appropriate.

I'll probably start picking up some porter stuff soon. I like what I posted, plus the cheaper black ballistic nylon stuff too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Thanks rach, appreciate it. If I have any bag questions, your the man hands down. I really like MMM bags as well, but they aren't really work appropriate. I'll probably start picking up some porter stuff soon. I like what I posted, plus the cheaper black ballistic nylon stuff too.
I really don't think you can go wrong with Porter, though again I don't know what retail price you'll be paying unless you are in Japan. Anything more than their Japanese retail and I'd start to consider them less excellent. If you see a specific bag (like those above), could you provide a link to where they are being sold? BUT, overall, they make pretty standard/classic items and the quality is as good as the major players twice their price. Again, they sacrifice flare or styling, but overall still make a very good bag, and have a lot more variety than something like Filson. When I first was in Japan, nearly everybody I knew had Italian/French bags for business (LV, Prada, etc.), but the last few years, many have switched over to Porter, at 1/3 the price. Also, in terms of MMM, some of their "retro" bags look a lot like some of the models Porter has been making for many years. The vintage/retro MMM camera/reporter bag they made a few years ago is quite similar to the Porter "Square" series, and so on.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Rach

What's the better porter stuff like?

Is the leather good? I like the minimalist designs and the price points are quite good. I could see myself getting these two:

080-04952_5.jpg

080-04949_8.jpg

I really like that 2nd bag, the briefcase. Would be interested in the price and where it can be found.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably the first time I've ever posted RL on this site, but the PL and top-tier bags often are quite nice, though very pricey at full retail. I really like this one, and also the "ricky" (IIRC) style. They seem very unique, but also sort of with a hint of vintage, Hermes HAC styling. Anybody tried them first hand and can comment? For $3400 and $2200 (respectively), they had better be perfect.
eOqvY.jpg

i own an RL bag very similar to the one pictured. it is full leather with a twill lining - i think it was called the Cooper or Boston bag and retailed in the high 4000's, IIRC (i paid about a grand for it). it's my go-to duffel (actually, my only duffel). very substantial leather, but very supple, sturdy brass hardware, and surprisingly light. it's perfect as an overnighter (as long as i don't bring another pair of shoes), or as a plane carry-on. it was sold to me as Purple Label (it has the PL script, and the purple tag and card, but i know that it's been debated whether there is such a thing as RLPL leather goods). if i can answer any specific questions, let me know.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Rach, can you recommend a sub-$300 portoflio/document holder?
Can you post a pic of the style you want? For example, envelope style, zip-around, etc.? Also, what size? I've got several kinds and will try to post pics when I can.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the style you want? For example, envelope style, zip-around, etc.? Also, what size? I've got several kinds and will try to post pics when I can.

I like zip-arounds, but am open to any style, really. Are you interested in selling one that you have, perhaps?

I prefer a brown leather (any shade other than baby poo) that will age well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I like zip-arounds, but am open to any style, really. Are you interested in selling one that you have, perhaps? I prefer a brown leather (any shade other than baby poo) that will age well.
Oh, no, not interested in selling mine, but just posting to give ideas. I'll update with pics when I can. As for brands, I hope some others can chime in as well. That pricepoint has been a tough one for me to find here in the USA. In Japan, it's quite easy (not just Porter, but tons of nice domestic brands), but stateside, it's all corrected grain or plasticky crap at sub $100... or Gucci for $1100, neither of which is high on my list. Yoox used to carry a lot of AG Spalding & Bros, whose leather document carriers were really nice. I have two envelope style ones that surprised me for how nice they were, and were about $100 each. Prada black calfskin with gold hardware (zip and locking mechanism across the top):
bccc_1.jpg
Two AG Spalding:
DSC02911.jpg
Each measures A4 size (about 9X12 or thereabouts). Brand called ValtekZ (which is a fabric maker that made some document cases in one of its coated canvases. The case is the cream colored; the brown is the dustcover.)
ValtekPortfolio1.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thanks...

I like the Spaldings.

I ask if you know because of exactly what you said... it's all either cheap $100 crap, or $600+ from the likes of Swaine Adney Brigg, Smythson, etc. Then the designer labels are even more...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you jock this I'm jockin your shawl robe
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads