• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering purchasing a deep navy blue pair of lace-ups dress shoes...what do they go with?

jj6

Reaction score
Hi new here,

^Why do I see this post everywhere?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How hard/expensive an alteration is shortening the sleeve length on a dress shirt?

Thanks in advance.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
How hard/expensive an alteration is shortening the sleeve length on a dress shirt?

Thanks in advance.

Very easy and (should be) cheap.

davidko

Reaction score
New here (hi everybody!), several questions, hope that's cool:

Making the transition from dressing like a kid to a more grown up style. Hoping for recommendations on a couple pairs of shoes to buy...currently just own sneakers (chucks) and cheap dress shoes. I've seen Allen Edmonds come well recommended here...is there a particular style of dress shoe I should look for for job interviews, that type of thing? Where can I read up on this?

Also, a recommendation for a casual kind of boot that I could wear with jeans?

Finally, is it okay to wear a tie bar? I think they look dapper, but I'm no expert. If yes, where would you shop for one?

Thanks!

BRMC_doves

Reaction score
How do Billy Reid button down shirts fit?

The one shirt I want is sold out of smalls and just wondering what the chest/shoulder measurements are on their mediums.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks, appreciate it.

tps16

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can view swatches from the Harrisions oyster book online?

stevenvg

Reaction score
I'm currently tempted to buy this pair of shoes that's 1 size too big and wide for my feet. Due to the rarity of finding such a pair in my size (tiny), I'm thinking of just getting it and buying insoles. I had a bad experience using insoles (Scholl's) for a pair of penny loafers cause they still kept slipping out whenever I'm walking.

In this case, the shoe I'm thinking of getting has laces so I'm guessing that the same wouldn't occur. With regards to insoles in general, my question is:

What is the maximum difference in width and size such that wearing insoles is still feasible?

Thanks.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidko
New here (hi everybody!), several questions, hope that's cool:

Making the transition from dressing like a kid to a more grown up style. Hoping for recommendations on a couple pairs of shoes to buy...currently just own sneakers (chucks) and cheap dress shoes. I've seen Allen Edmonds come well recommended here...is there a particular style of dress shoe I should look for for job interviews, that type of thing? Where can I read up on this?

Finally, is it okay to wear a tie bar? I think they look dapper, but I'm no expert. If yes, where would you shop for one?

Thanks!

A common recommendation, which I also stand behind, would be Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in black or brown. I would personally reccomend brown first, then black.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1...852bn7.jpg&t=1

As for the tie bar, I wear one every day. So, yes, it is acceptable. Try going to vintage shops to get a genuine one or at last resort try thetiebar.com to get a plain one.

Smudge

Reaction score

Thanks!

Welcome to SF, davidko. Chukkas and RM Williams both go very well with jeans. Brown is probably the most versatile colour.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New here (hi everybody!), several questions, hope that's cool: Making the transition from dressing like a kid to a more grown up style. Hoping for recommendations on a couple pairs of shoes to buy...currently just own sneakers (chucks) and cheap dress shoes. I've seen Allen Edmonds come well recommended here...is there a particular style of dress shoe I should look for for job interviews, that type of thing? Where can I read up on this? Also, a recommendation for a casual kind of boot that I could wear with jeans? Finally, is it okay to wear a tie bar? I think they look dapper, but I'm no expert. If yes, where would you shop for one? Thanks!
Most people will recommend AE Park Avenues, but I won't. I own a pair, but rarely wear them, because they are just too formal and boring. As a younger guy who wants to play dress-up opt for a little fancier shoes. Unless, of course, you need to be very formal for interviews etc. Even then, try to find shoes that you can wear for work and leisure, something with sleeker lines than the Park Ave. If you want to get AE shoes, try Weybridge in chili, I really enjoy the styling of that shoe. Mostly, the choice of shoes will depend on how much you want to spend on them, so give us a price range. Edit: I have a pair of suede chocolate boots in size 9US. I could part with them very cheaply, since I don't get to wear them too much in LA.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Most people will recommend AE Park Avenues, but I won't. I own a pair, but rarely wear them, because they are just too formal and boring. As a younger guy who wants to play dress-up opt for a little fancier shoes. Unless, of course, you need to be very formal for interviews etc. Even then, try to find shoes that you can wear for work and leisure, something with sleeker lines than the Park Ave.
Dude, that IS the point of plain black captoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads