• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy a suit for around $400

bonoz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to buy a relatively fashionable gray suit for business and non-business purposes. I like a nice fitted fit with thin lapels and thing every thing else. I'm really short so I think a 2-button suit would be smart. But feel free to suggest a new style.

I'm sort of an old-fashioned guy, so I want a suit that makes me look like I belong in the 50's or 60's. Because I'm short, I'll probably need to get it altered and everything. I probably need to go for something like a 36 short. Most places don't even have that size.

I need advice. First, I need fashion advice. What sort of a suit should I be looking for?

And second, I need advice on where I should be looking for a suit like this. What stores? What designers? What brands? etc.

Thanks!

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Marks & Spencer ships to the US, is fairly conservative, supposedly decently made, and relatively inexpensive. They also have a wide range of sizes. J. Crew is fashion-y, so-so make, inexpensive, offers 36S. Has narrow lapels. Hardwick is made in the USA, extremely conservative, not too well made, and relatively inexpensive. Also a wide range of sizes. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy used or hit paydirt at a luxury outlet (Off Fifth, etc.) or maybe hit the right Brooks Brothers sale.

bonoz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Marks & Spencer ships to the US, is fairly conservative, supposedly decently made, and relatively inexpensive. They also have a wide range of sizes. J. Crew is fashion-y, so-so make, inexpensive, offers 36S. Has narrow lapels. Hardwick is made in the USA, extremely conservative, not too well made, and relatively inexpensive. Also a wide range of sizes. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy used or hit paydirt at a luxury outlet (Off Fifth, etc.) or maybe hit the right Brooks Brothers sale.
Cool Thanks. Now what if I want to make some alterations? How do I go about doing that? What are some other stores you can think of? How about Men's Warehouse? Any place I can actually GO and try the suits out?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bonoz
Cool Thanks. Now what if I want to make some alterations? How do I go about doing that?
What are some other stores you can think of?

How about Men's Warehouse? Any place I can actually GO and try the suits out?

If you buy from a store, get a suit that fits well. You can get it altered in store or at a local tailor: shorten sleeves/cuff/taper jacket/etc.
If buying from a store or altering at a local tailor, TAKE/WEAR a pair of shoes that you would wear with the suit. I get my stuff tailored down at Stanton Tailor in nYc and can't tell you how many times I see men in there with suit pants on with sneakers. I often take my shoes in a bag if I am heading there on the wkend for a cuff to a pair of pants. Don't be that dude!!

srendam

Reaction score
M&S, so many posts dissing jcrews ludlow suit around here.

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srendam
M&S, so many posts dissing jcrews ludlow suit around here.

You can't expect many choices for $400. You can't expect great quality either.

bonoz

Reaction score
I am finding it a bit difficult to buy a suit online. Isn't it best to be able to try the suit on and see if you like it or not?

Also, JCrew isn't shipping it out until October. That's kinda late.

GBer

Reaction score
Do you live in or near a major city? Otherwise your choices are limited...

bonoz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Do you live in or near a major city? Otherwise your choices are limited...

I do live near a major mall (Tyson's Corner).

srendam

Reaction score
Heard good things about the benjamin suit from SF sponsor haberdasher

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads