• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people buy J.Crew?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
The sleeves were two inches too long.

This is also silly. Unless the Ludlow comes with un-advertised surgeon's cuffs, this is a sub-$20 alteration.

cimabue

Reaction score
J Crew acquired its niche selling good chinos and whimsical undies. Banana Republic started with durable safari-type gear in modest little catalogs. Fun! Both used to pride themselves on their American-made classics. One has largely stayed the course and the other has gone far afield.

Thrifter

Reaction score
Because I can get an entry level wardrobe of clothes that fit well and look decent, and then upgrade when I reach baller status.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but young people are not shopping for Kiton shirts and spending 400.00 on japanese denim.

J Crew looks good and the price is right.

What are people who don't spend 2 grand on an outfit supposed to wear? People that have style, but dont spend as much time as we do on fashion.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
I hate to break it to you, but young people are not shopping for Kiton shirts and spending 400.00 on japanese denim. J Crew looks good and the price is right. What are people who don't spend 2 grand on an outfit supposed to wear? People that have style, but dont spend as much time as we do on fashion.
A lot of them are, maybe not Kiton shirts but the only people I've seen in Japanese denim have been in their 20's. One of my friends, 23, owns a rotation of RLPL dress shirts that he bought as a client of mine, not Kiton but still top tier. Jcrew is good for certain things, I like their chinos.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy suits or dress shirts from them, but their casual stuff is very nice and consistently getting better. I'm a fan of the store.

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I wipe ****** with bolts of cloth from Rubinacci.

It takes a bolt of cloth to wipe your ass? What are you eating?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
A lot of them are, maybe not Kiton shirts but the only people I've seen in Japanese denim have been in their 20's. One of my friends, 23, owns a rotation of RLPL dress shirts that he bought as a client of mine, not Kiton but still top tier.

Jcrew is good for certain things, I like their chinos.

That might be true, but I don't think the majority of college students are spending 400.00 a pop on jeans, and buying 200.00 button downs. You can always find exceptions to the rule.

Not saying your're wrong...just basing my opinion on what I see the kids wearing here in Boston. I live next to Suffolk (which is a 35k a year school), nestled in one of the most expensive areas of Boston. These kids have some cash and I see J Crew all the time.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew is a great source for casual wear...especially on sale. Granted, I'm a relative small-timer, but I can't justify spending a lot of money on weekend-wear now that I'm married and no longer hitting the clubs.

I don't expect or even want my casual clothes to last a lifetime, so why not buy moderately priced, somewhat disposable clothes from a place like J Crew.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone is good at something.

J Crew has quality styling. They work their idiom as well as anyone in the (crowded) market. If you think this is easy, just look at a J Crew catalogue from the 80s when they were born....much less on-the-ball.

Their shirts fit me and often look good without ironing. Machine wash, drip dry. I'm happy. It's not office wear but I don't work in an office.

The ties are well styled too.

I probably have a J Crew sweater or two but for most other things, I look elsewhere.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Everyone is good at something.

J Crew has quality styling. They work their idiom as well as anyone in the (crowded) market. If you think this is easy, just look at a J Crew catalogue from the 80s when they were born....much less on-the-ball.

Their shirts fit me and often look good without ironing. Machine wash, drip dry. I'm happy. It's not office wear but I don't work in an office.

The ties are well styled too.

I probably have a J Crew sweater or two but for most other things, I look elsewhere.

This is a good point. I really like their ties and squares.

word

Reaction score
I like j crew shirts. Since they ship from a warehouse in VA it only takes a day to get down to NC. Wait for sales and free ship promotions and you can get quite a bit for not that much money. Makes for great casual wear.

Why didn't you return your stuff op? Did you honestly expect a good suit jacket from a mall brand that markets and price points to college-age people? Come on be realistic here... J crew is hyped in the streetwear section because it's affordable casual wear, I rarely see it mentioned in mc.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
The only thing I own from J Crew is a tie and I like it a lot. I wouldn't even think about buying a suit or jacket there. Some of their casual shirts look nice, but I have found that they are just way too roomy for my thin build. Even their slim or tailored shirts are too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads