• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody ever heard of "Scott & Company LIMITED" (Boston)

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
came upon this vintage overcoat. reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this? who this company is, who made?

IMAG0003.jpg

must be old
smile.gif

IMAG0002.jpg

I posted this in the "Labels, heels and nail patterns" but nobody knew...

Artking3

Reaction score
There is a Scott & Co in Los Angeles which sells high end clothing. I think they are related branch. Sounds like a Wilkes Bashford or similar high-end retailers.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scott Hill owned the operations in Los Angeles and that store has been closed for some time if i'm not mistaken. He nows runs a MTM/bespoke atelier. Very smart and knowledgable person.

horseman40

Reaction score
I know well Scott & Co. My family and I were clients for decades. They have nothing to do with any other company. As with everything of quality and dignity in the USA ..sadly ..they are gone.
Would you be willing to sell that coat to me ..and anything else which you have from that store?
Feel free to email me at [email protected]
Thanks

horseman40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
There is a Scott & Co in Los Angeles which sells high end clothing. I think they are related branch. Sounds like a Wilkes Bashford or similar high-end retailers.

Scott & Co. in Boston had nothing to do with any other store or company. I was their client for years.

caravan70

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
came upon this vintage overcoat. reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this? who this company is, who made?...

Your label is identical to the one on a blazer I have which is dated February 6, 1963 on a tag within an inside pocket - your overcoat may well fall within that general time period. But Scott & Company was at the 340 Washington address at least as early as 1918, according to a Boston city directory of that year, so it has the potential to be quite a bit older. Congratulations on a great find - I'm sure you'll enjoy that overcoat for many years!
biggrin.gif

David G Newton

Reaction score
Just came across this thread on the internet. I worked part time and summers for Scott and Co from the end of my junior year in high school in 1952 until I graduated from college in 1957. The store was owned by a Swedish immigrant tailor Eric Danielson and run by his son Eric Dalielson Jr (Harvard MBA). It manufactured most of its own suits and had semi-custom and full custom departments with various accessory and a young men's department. It was patronized by executives of banks, woolen companies, and other high end enterprises in downtown Boston and was the leading men's store of the time. However, it had a high overhead with about ten full time suit salesmen and salaried sales personnel in other departments. It was struggling financially and the strong trend away from more formal clothing helped do it in. I believe it went bankrupt in the 1960's and ED Jr. took over a department store in Springfield MA. The building was five stories high with a basement sales floor, but now only the first floor remains as a drug store.

horseman40

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Newton:

I just saw your post and am interested that you worked at Scott's. Most od the men in my family were clients. I used to know a salesman there whose name was Farren..John I think. Did you know him? Is he still alive? Do you know how I could find him? I'd like to chat with you if you would give me your email so we could talk privately.

Thank you

David

horseman40

Reaction score

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
came upon this vintage overcoat. reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this? who this company is, who made?...
Your label is identical to the one on a blazer I have which is dated February 6, 1963 on a tag within an inside pocket - your overcoat may well fall within that general time period. But Scott & Company was at the 340 Washington address at least as early as 1918, according to a Boston city directory of that year, so it has the potential to be quite a bit older. Congratulations on a great find - I'm sure you'll enjoy that overcoat for many years!
biggrin.gif
. Scott's opened in 1905. They were the finest, most prestigious men's store in Boston and on a higher level than any other men's store on the East Coast.

lewisba

Reaction score
I came upon this post doing a Google search on Scott & Company. I'm doing genealogy research and believe my grandfather worked or at least had partial ownership in Scott & Company during the 1930s. Their address was:

Scott & Company Limited
Clothes Shop for Men
340 Washington Street
Boston Mass

If anyone else has info related to this company I would appreciate it.

horseman40

Reaction score
Yes, tha's the store. My family and I were clients there. It was the best in Boston then ..and better than any store that exists now.

horseman40

Reaction score
[ATTACHMENT=10514]IMG_0661.jpg (2,699k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

rpmcestmoi

Reaction score
I salivated in front if Scott&co window after shopping at the home of Uncle Eph. This wannabe from the projects wanted to be a Yankee, I fear, but instead grew a strong disdain for the Prides Crossing folks over time. but the terrific English wool jacket pinned to the wall in that rounded display window is still in my head! H. Square had two similar now gone mens shops with only Press carrying the flag. i remember the young Timothy Leary in the bookshop looking more Harvard than Pusey and thinking I Would like that wardrobe but I settled for Khakis, a button down from The Basement and a maroon knit tie.
leveling took place subsequently as cheaper goods became available and without a trained eye it became harder to detect the real from the faux in a crowd. A good thing, that,
You now can count the H. traditional uniform on one hand in the yard.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads