• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money Never Sleeps sartorial critique thread

LanceW

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find this jacket fabric?
Shia-LaBeouf-Meatpacking-District-shiantology-Wall-Street-2-6.jpg

shia-labeouf-PAcific-Coast.jpg

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
None of these pics is true to Wall Street. The guys who have $5b+ under management roll into your office looking like ****. And they can - I mean, what do they care? Two & twenty or three & fifty (which is what Stevie Cohen and few others can get) on $5b+ is a level of earning where you could give a **** what people think of your choice in clothing.
This is true in my experience, but they don't look like **** because they are earning tens of millions of dollars a year and can afford not to worry about what people think: it's simply because most of them never did care about their looks and appearance. They didn't care when they earned $30k a year and they don't care now. That's why you get so many badly dressed buy-siders
smile.gif
Sell-siders generally care more and dress better but the average level is still pretty low. A lot of the top guys dress in expensive stuff but just aren't snappy dressers; I remember thinking this when looking at John Mack up close a few years back. No doubt there are many, like Blankfein, who realise they should look less nerdy and hire somebody to dress them when they start appearing in public regularly. TD

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of awful looks here but this one takes the cake. Horrendous

Originally Posted by Bull
wallstreet2-ShiaLaBeouf-papa-full03.jpg

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
The man has stage 4 throat cancer, which he will likely not recover from. Cut him some slack.

Mike

Also, the character has been in prison for 20+ years!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
The man has stage 4 throat cancer, which he will likely not recover from. Cut him some slack.

Mike

so he does a movie where he smokes cigars
confused.gif

that blue checkerboard jacket on Shia is atrocious. Josh Brolin, who for some reason or other I think of as a prick even though I know nothing of him, is the best dressed in these pics.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
so he does a movie where he smokes cigars
confused.gif

that blue checkerboard jacket on Shia is atrocious. Josh Brolin, who for some reason or other I think of as a prick even though I know nothing of him, is the best dressed in these pics.

He always plays one in his roles.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Did anyone ever find this jacket fabric?
Shia-LaBeouf-Meatpacking-District-shiantology-Wall-Street-2-6.jpg

shia-labeouf-PAcific-Coast.jpg

Leonard Logsdail New York

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tokyodandy
This is true in my experience, but they don't look like **** because they are earning tens of millions of dollars a year and can afford not to worry about what people think: it's simply because most of them never did care about their looks and appearance. They didn't care when they earned $30k a year and they don't care now. That's why you get so many badly dressed buy-siders
smile.gif
Sell-siders generally care more and dress better but the average level is still pretty low. A lot of the top guys dress in expensive stuff but just aren't snappy dressers; I remember thinking this when looking at John Mack up close a few years back. No doubt there are many, like Blankfein, who realise they should look less nerdy and hire somebody to dress them when they start appearing in public regularly. TD

If you read the article posted earlier, it was never about accuracy with the original, nor is it with this one. It's about building a world, an image, and a character. The first movie did a much better job of that then panned- it made a real dent on the men's fashion scene. It inspired quite a few of the posters here, from some threads I've seen. Accuracy was never the point. They know that the real wall street dresses like crap. But they're too busy building the imagery of a cutthroat world of money and power to care.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
This has been my experience in my short (and thankfully soon to end) stint in the men's clothing business. I once had a high level banking exec (I recognized him from Forbes but kept my mouth shut
smile.gif
) come into the store on my up. He was wearing pants from a very expensive cashmere suit (it coulda been a Kiton.
bounce2.gif
OMG), a Brooks Bros. OCBD, and a sloppily tied Ferragamo tie. I laughed because nobody else would have given him a second look. He looked like a staff auditor or a personal injury attorney who just happened to have an exceptional haircut.
lol8[1].gif
I, for one, am going to see Money Never sleeps. Maybe even the midnight showing. It might suck, but I'm dying to see MD's wardrobe...and laugh heartily at Mr. LeBeef's.
Originally Posted by tokyodandy
smile.gif

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Accuracy was never the point. They know that the real wall street dresses like crap. But they're too busy building the imagery of a cutthroat world of money and power to care.

I did read it before I posted and very interesting it was too. The poster of the message to which I replied and myself I were simply striking off on a bit of a tangent from the original subject.

What did surprise me about the article was that the director actually realised that Wall Streeters didn't dress the way the wardrobe people were portraying them.

TD

Watchaholic

Reaction score
However the movie turns out, you know many tailors are gonna be seeing a increase in business because of it.. Looking forward to seeing it as well - thanks for the shots LVoer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads