• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend in Philly - suggestions?

taepo

Reaction score
In a few weeks, spending the weekend in Philly for a long weekend. Going to catch a Phillies game and maybe do some shopping. I'm staying in the Old City area.

Any suggestions for restaurants? We will probably hit up the Reading Terminal food market. Other than that, nothing planned. Prefer to avoid anything too upscale or formal.

Any shopping suggestions? The girls want to do some shopping - would prefer walking distance and avoiding the malls.

Open to any other things-to-do suggestions. Thanks in advance.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple thoughts. Since you prefer something not too upscale, here are some inexpensive but very good options within walking distance of Old City.

1. Paesano Sandwich shop at 9th and Christian. Just amazing and less than $10.
2. Capogiro Gelato at 13th & Sansomt. Other good options within a block: Mexican at El Vez (across Sansom), an excellent BYOB Indian place called Bindi just north, and in the neighborhood and also a good pizza place across 13th street (not the one next door!).
3. Pizzeria Stella at 2nd Lombard. True Italian style and very inexpensive.
4. Percy St Barbecue at 9th and South.
5. Lee How Fook on 11th St in Chinatown.
6. If you have a car and are organized enough to make a reservation, sushi at Sagami in Pennsauken (10 min from Old City).
7. Drinks at Southwark at 4th and Bainbridge.
8. Burgers at Village Whiskey at 20th and Sansom. Order the duckfat fries, too.

Good luck!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Great suggestions.

The best shopping in Center City is on Walnut between Broad street and 18th street. There's also some on Chestnut Street in the same area, including Liberty Place, which is somewhat like a mall.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be sure to get a cheese steak and visit the art museum if you are bored..

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
Here are a couple thoughts. Since you prefer something not too upscale, here are some inexpensive but very good options within walking distance of Old City.

1. Paesano Sandwich shop at 9th and Christian. Just amazing and less than $10.
2. Capogiro Gelato at 13th & Sansomt. Other good options within a block: Mexican at El Vez (across Sansom), an excellent BYOB Indian place called Bindi just north, and in the neighborhood and also a good pizza place across 13th street (not the one next door!).
3. Pizzeria Stella at 2nd Lombard. True Italian style and very inexpensive.
4. Percy St Barbecue at 9th and South.
5. Lee How Fook on 11th St in Chinatown.
6. If you have a car and are organized enough to make a reservation, sushi at Sagami in Pennsauken (10 min from Old City).
7. Drinks at Southwark at 4th and Bainbridge.
8. Burgers at Village Whiskey at 20th and Sansom. Order the duckfat fries, too.

Good luck!

Agree wholeheartedly with #7 and #8. Village Whiskey gets super crowded, but their burger is actually worth the hype. Southwark is the best cocktail bar in Philly. Chick's on 7th & Bainbridge is a really charming, low-key wine/beer/cocktail bar.

Stella and Percy St. I find disappointing.

For a great beer list and upscale pub fare, I like Varga Bar. If you're in town during a weekday, the $3 pints during happy hour (4 p.m. - 6 p.m.) is a great deal because they pour excellent beers. The happy hour at Tria (5 p.m. - 7 p.m.) is also worth checking out.

You might also want to take advantage of all the BYOBs in town (no such thing as corkage fees).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get to Village Whiskey. Butcher & Singer had a $15 prix fixe lunch for the month of August that had a pretty good burger as an option; didn't find out until the month was half over but still managed to make it there four times. Might be worth a call to see if it's still going on (though it was weekday only).

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a nice boutique-style clothier on Locust Street, Wayne Edwards. They carry Borrelli shirts, Bontoni shoes, Isaia, etc.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Yes, Village Whiskey's burger is excellent, but I actually prefer Royal Tavern's...it's an excellent gastropub (actually deserving of both the "gastro" and "pub"...all the food is excellent and the beer list is very good, too) in South Philly, so a little off the beaten path for tourists, but really only 10 minutes walking from South Street.

My favorite restaurants/bars in Philly: Barclay Prime (this is THE best steakhouse I've ever been to...tops BLT Prime, Dylan Prime, Craftsteak, Peter Luger, Jacobs and Co., Cut, N9ne...), Amada, Osteria, Vetri, Don Memo Mexican Restaurant (waaaaaaaaay off the beaten path, in Upper Darby), James, Cucina Forte, Jim's Steaks, Royal Tavern, Village Whiskey, Monk's, Eulogy, Nodding Head, Mercato, Standard Tap, Local 44, North Third...oh man, I want to go back. Best city in which to spend four years at college.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't get a cheese steak

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're horrible and disgusting. With my hate clearly expressed, I will now slowly back out of this thread... where's the door?!

Duveen

Reaction score
Other places to check near Old City are:

Sarcone's at 9th and Christian, best hoagie in the city, IMO.

Tria Wine Bar - half price beer, wine and cheese all day Sundays (called 'Sunday School)

Dinic's Roast Pork sandwich in the center hall of Reading Terminal Market

Greek - high end - Kanella at 10th and Spruce, pricy but good
Greek - cheap - South Street Souvlaki at 5th and South

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
There's a nice boutique-style clothier on Locust Street, Wayne Edwards. They carry Borrelli shirts, Bontoni shoes, Isaia, etc.
Sadly, Wayne Edwards is no more -- a victim of the downturn in the economy. That leaves Boyd's, which I find roughly equivalent to the average Nordstrom. They have a very nice watch collection on the first floor, however.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Sadly, Wayne Edwards is no more -- a victim of the downturn in the economy. That leaves Boyd's, which I find roughly equivalent to the average Nordstrom. They have a very nice watch collection on the first floor, however.

So painful that Wayne is gone. I have several pairs of shoes, a shearling and other treasures from the good old days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads