• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal recommendation for suit

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
hmmmm.... then maybe I'll add a 62022 suit to my order...

Looks nice. Wanna macro?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Looks nice. Wanna macro?

laugh.gif
No thanks. I'm actually puzzled enough by small swatches and close-ups. Macros don't help me at all - I'd much prefer a wide angle pic of a larger piece.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
No thanks. I'm actually puzzled enough by small swatches and close-ups. Macros don't help me at all - I'd much prefer a wide angle pic of a larger piece.

Hehe. Just prepared them; would be dommage not to use them. Close your eyes.

macroph62020.jpg

cropph62020.jpg

Okay. Open up.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the cloth I am considering though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met with Patrick Chu for W.W. Chan yesterday. As I had been forewarned in this thread, they did not have the Porter & Harding Thornproof tweed book with them. I pretty much had my heart set on their 14-ounce blue Donegal. As long as I had the fabric number, Patrick advised, he could take the order then and there after he had checked the price on their computer and proceed.

I also looked through the W. Bill book. Actually, Bill has several blue Donegals in addition to the one that's shown in this thread. One of them looked very close to the P&H fabric I liked so much. Chan's price for the jackets made from the W. Bill tweeds was $1,359. I told Patrick I would order either the W. Bill fabric or the P&H, whichever was less. When he looked it up on the computer, he told me a jacket from the P&H tweed would be $1,060. That made it something of a no-brainer.

I also had a look at the Hardy Harris tweed book. There were a lot of handsome fabrics in that one. Does anybody know about their quality? As I believe I have mentioned previously in this thread, I have been disappointed with the fabric quality of a jacket Chan made me from a P&H Harris tweed last year. A lot of pilling and such. I think I shall relegate it to knockabout duty like walking the dog on cool days. The Hardy tweeds were tempting. My income will be reduced materially by my impending retirement, but maybe if I am frugal in sartorial and other purchases I can order one when Chan comes through in July of 2011.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet pic.

I've been looking to add a RTW Donegal with higher armholes and not too baggy sleeves for a while, but to no avail.

emptym

Reaction score
^Did you look at Cable Car Clothiers? They have rtw tweed suits and have been having a big sale recently, which should include their mtm stuff if you can't find it rtw.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Checking now. Thanks for the heads up.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you ended up with the Scabal?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you ended up with the Scabal?

Yes. I really liked the P&H, except for the amount of red in the fabric; just not a fan of (most) red(s) in clothing (for me).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads