• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Down Shirts

pokey07

Reaction score
I'm looking for dress shirts that are slimmer and shorter than the normal button down shirt, like BoO, but not BoO prices. Like much cheaper.

I'm looking for button downs that you can wear untucked without them hanging down way past your grundel.

I'm sure other people are interested in the same thing, so I made this a thread rather than just asking it in the thread up top.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I'm looking for dress shirts that are slimmer and shorter than the normal button down shirt, like BoO, but not BoO prices. Like much cheaper.

I'm looking for button downs that you can wear untucked without them hanging down way past your grundel.

I'm sure other people are interested in the same thing, so I made this a thread rather than just asking it in the thread up top.

Do you actually use words like this in real life, or is it only an internet thing?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you essentially want a BoO shirt but not at BoO prices.

I want MMM hi's for thirty dollars but I'm not stupid enough to believe I'd ever get them.

Grow up.

Wally

Reaction score
Wolf vs Goat overdyed oxfords are very similar to band for less. I like the fit better myself.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One brand stands out for me, Ben Sherman in Soho Fit. They tend to fit really slim, they also have a Soho Fit: Extra Slim Fit that is actually slimmer than BoO, it is a bit longer too so the shirt won't look like a boys shirt, a bit difficult to find though.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Do you actually use words like this in real life, or is it only an internet thing?

No I most definitely would say grundel in real life. Is that a problem?

Originally Posted by Razele
So you essentially want a BoO shirt but not at BoO prices.

I want MMM hi's for thirty dollars but I'm not stupid enough to believe I'd ever get them.

Grow up.

lol. Didn't say I wanted a BoO shirt at not BoO prices. I said I wanted to find shirts that fit like BoO shirts at not BoO prices.

Originally Posted by lmaozedong
h&m

Thanks. I check out H&M once and a while. I haven't really seen anything decent lately though.

Originally Posted by Wally
Wolf vs Goat overdyed oxfords are very similar to band for less. I like the fit better myself.

Thank you, I'll have to check those out.

Originally Posted by RFX45
One brand stands out for me, Ben Sherman in Soho Fit. They tend to fit really slim, they also have a Soho Fit: Extra Slim Fit that is actually slimmer than BoO, it is a bit longer too so the shirt won't look like a boys shirt, a bit difficult to find though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look around!

dandy1

Reaction score
which Brooks Brothers button down shirts are recommended by SFers? specifically looking for a button down to wear under sports jackets .. they have a 'dress shirts' and 'sports shirts' range, is there much of a difference between the two in a light blue?

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

which Brooks Brothers button down shirts are recommended by SFers? specifically looking for a button down to wear under sports jackets .. they have a 'dress shirts' and 'sports shirts' range, is there much of a difference between the two in a light blue?

I wouldn't really think so. Either way I would strongly recommend the extra slim fit over any of the others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads