• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themselves
probably a bit too large, which leads to heel slippage. if you can't return them, maybe try thick socks, or one of those silicone insole thingies

I had some bad rubbing with my GTs in that area, but only on my right foot. No blistering, but basically bruising. Hurt like a mother for about the first 10 wears or so, then went in after they broke in.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my pair of Iron Rangers in today. I wear about a 10D in most shoes (44 in sneakers), and ended up going with a 9.5 in the IRs. They fit well, with a little space between my bare feet and the front of the toe box. They appear to be decently constructed, and hopefully will break in well later in the fall.

J_Stallz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossmadness88
Yeah, they are too large. The insole that comes in that particular pair of Red Wings is real cheap. I would try a thicker pair of socks, and/or switch out the insole. But don't go with a gel one. They are cheap and thin out real quick, so you might eat up some room in them for a couple of weeks, and then once the gel thins out, you will be back to having the same problem. Get a thick, high quality insole. Something made of a sturdy memory foam or urethane.
Also, did you buy them from an actual Red Wing??? All Red Wings come with a 30 day comfort guarantee. So you can take them back and switch them for a better fitting size.

I purchased them online from Shoe Parlor through Amazon, so the return option is out of the question. The funny thing is I own a pair of Red Wing work boots in a size 12 and they fit very well, so i figured the fit would be the same with the 1907. Turns out I was wrong.

I have since worn them again and laced them up tighter and the heel slippage was minimal, but still prevalent. I will most likely be buying a new insole to attempt to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help mossmadness88!

ysb

Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching through this thread and have been trying to find some definitive answers regarding RW 8138 vs. 875 vs. 1907

are they all the same shape and the main differences being the type of leather used and whether or not there are leather laces? seems like pricewise 8138>1907>875?

also 8138 = darker brown with reddish hues?
1907 copper
875 chestnut?

Thanks

And also are these sized similarly to GT's? Sorry if this has been asked several times previously.

JayRod

Reaction score
Can anybody help me out with buying the right size Wabasha boots? I wear a size 8.5 in Converse Chuck Taylors and a 9 or 9.5 in most other sneakers or boots.

a2_hennessy

Reaction score
Question:

I purchased a pair of Red Wing Wabasha boots TTS, and they fit pretty snugly, except for some heel slip in the back. Does this mean I should be sizing down a half-size?

J_Stallz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a2_hennessy
Question:

I purchased a pair of Red Wing Wabasha boots TTS, and they fit pretty snugly, except for some heel slip in the back. Does this mean I should be sizing down a half-size?

I was having the same problem when i first purchased my Red Wing 1907s. the heel slip issue is slowly going away, others have recommended at least a half-size down for me, but this issue is something that seems to be resolved through break-in.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
875 and 8131 are on the same last, with the same welt construction. 1907, has a different last with Norwegian Welt construction. Check out the Red Wing site; they have that info listed.

I had a pair of 875s I sold because they didn't fit me right, but they were outstanding boots. You can't go wrong with any of them.

a2_hennessy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J_Stallz
I was having the same problem when i first purchased my Red Wing 1907s. the heel slip issue is slowly going away, others have recommended at least a half-size down for me, but this issue is something that seems to be resolved through break-in.
Ah, alright. I guess I'll keep them, then. It really is pretty snug around my feet, so a half-size down might be too tight, even if it did fix the heel slip problem.

What do you think of the Wabashas? Have you applied any sort of protective coating to them (Obenauf's, Sno-Seal, mink oil, etc.)?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know where in Tokyo i could look for Japanese only releases of red wings?

erbs

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with the Red Wing boat shoes? Are they sized the same as the boots?

steve-b

Reaction score
hey guys, my first post here =)

And i just got a question about the sizing in the GT boot and the 875. When I got a US8 in Timberland boat shoe + Clarks DB and a US7.5 in Timberland 6in boots. What size would I need for these RedWings, is a US8 fine?

Are these RedWings wearable in a city at winter, since there is not that much snow but probably mush of snow?

Ispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a2_hennessy
Question:

Did you find them the same as other RW? I have a pair of 1907 in a 10.5 that I find a little large. Was thinking I might pick up a pair of Wabasha chukka's in a 10.

Anyone have experience with a direct comparison?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads