• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Condo Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the yellow version of this. Quite a nice table and I really like how the table color pokes out from the end of the stainless legs.

Worth a look if you want a round table. A lot of their other pieces are pretty nice too.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're purchasing nice knives I'm assuming you like to cook. I'd purchase a set of pots and pans (basic Calphalon stuff), cutting board, microwave, convection oven, etc.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
penny portrait Thinking about getting one for myself...
Haha interesting idea but not really my style. I think I'm going to give something like this a shot though: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...omestic-121422
Originally Posted by denning
Outside of apartmenttherapy.com check out http://www.betterlivingthroughdesign.com/
Thanks. Looks interesting. Not as much content as apartmenttherapy but I think I prefer it.
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Ligne Roset has some good looking stuff. I believe they have a location on Edmonton.
Originally Posted by otc
I have the yellow version of this. Quite a nice table and I really like how the table color pokes out from the end of the stainless legs. Worth a look if you want a round table. A lot of their other pieces are pretty nice too.
Great suggestions! There is a store here that carries both brands. Going to have to check them out.
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Ikea Ikea Ikea
I don't think I'll be buying much from Ikea. Granted, the price point is attractive but I think I'd rather take my time and buy better quality items.
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Since you're purchasing nice knives I'm assuming you like to cook. I'd purchase a set of pots and pans (basic Calphalon stuff), cutting board, microwave, convection oven, etc.
Oh I will be. I have my eye on some Mauviel Cookware. I won't buy them right away but maybe in 4-5 months.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
CB2
Hive Modern
Room and Board

Also, they may be hard to acquire in Edm, but Muji makes some great organizational stuff.

I like Ikea for cheap wall shelves, bedroom storage, and other knick knacks.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch, literally the worst time to buy. I hope you're not planning to move for the next 5-10 years at least.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Thanks. Looks interesting. Not as much content as apartmenttherapy but I think I prefer it.

For finding ideas of furniture and things to buy as opposed to just having pictures of people's places, I think it would be much more useful for you at your stage. I also like how they try to post a mix of the affordable with the expensive. I have a huge bookmark list from them of all sorts of stuff.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilarious.

SF member moves into new condo. What has he bought thus far? Overpriced knives and ugly flatware.

facepalm.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Hilarious. SF member moves into new condo. What has he bought thus far? Overpriced knives and ugly flatware.
facepalm.gif

Ughhh. I'm living at home until the end of the month. I can't exactly store furniture and appliances in my room. Knives and flatware are slightly more manageable (By the way, the flatware was overpriced too).
fing02[1].gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
o god... why do people get so into "DIY" art. All it shows is that you have very little taste and that you hate art.

Take the same approach to art as you are to furniture... don't buy **** because it's cheap and easy... build it over time. Buying generic looking bullshit isn't the answer. Why buy the Ikea of "art"?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
o god... why do people get so into "DIY" art. All it shows is that you have very little taste and that you hate art.

Take the same approach to art as you are to furniture... don't buy **** because it's cheap and easy... build it over time. Buying generic looking bullshit isn't the answer. Why buy the Ikea of "art"?

It's pretty simple. I can't afford to cover my walls with expensive art. My short term goal is to buy a Peter Lik piece which will run me between $5,000 & $10,000. Past that, I'm fine with temporary art that I can upgrade over time. I don't really want to keep my walls bare until I can afford a Glenn Brown painting (My life goal). Additionally, I'll have a lot more fun making a painting than assembling some ************* ikea desk.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

Actually Ikea "art" can be quite pleasing with some rather original prints from Swedish artists/photographers with nice framings and mattes. Much nicer than what you see a lot people trying to pass off as "art."

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Ughhh. I'm living at home until the end of the month. I can't exactly store furniture and appliances in my room. Knives and flatware are slightly more manageable (By the way, the flatware was overpriced too).
fing02[1].gif

It's your first place, you're living at home, and obviously on a budget. Spend the $ you have on the MCM pieces you actually want (maybe you can afford one or two?) and then save money by buying flatware/knives/etc. with identical functionality to the crap you bought at a fraction of the price. Save the unnecessary luxury trimmings like the Japanese knife set of which you will only use one knife for later.. By the way, most furniture takes at least four weeks to arrive, if not eight to twelve. Might want to plan for that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics