• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual

jim_k

Reaction score
I've just about had it with khakis and oxfords or khakis and polos. Anybody have any creative ways of shaking up the dress code thing without blatantly breaking it? With summer coming up, I'm guessing there are some great alternatives to the standard fare. My dress code is: Slacks, collared shirt, no tennis shoes.

Speaking of shoes, how about a warm weather alternative to the penny loafer?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I say with spring/summer coming, think linen: pants and short sleeve button ups (not at the same time.). Short sleeve button ups are not to be confused with the dreaded "short sleeve dress shirt". If you wear a tie you wear a long sleeve shirt. For shoes, try a suede buc for summer wear.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Suggestions I've heard and used are:

Cotton or linen trousers for the bottom (not all cotton trousers are khakis).
Long sleeve button-up shirts with no tie or lighter sweater (cotton or linen) for the top in lieu of a polo
Spring/summer sportcoat (usually patterned and lighter weight material like cotton/silk/linen).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just about had it with khakis and oxfords or khakis and polos. Anybody have any creative ways of shaking up the dress code thing without blatantly breaking it? With summer coming up, I'm guessing there are some great alternatives to the standard fare. My dress code is: Slacks, collared shirt, no tennis shoes.

Speaking of shoes, how about a warm weather alternative to the penny loafer?
I know my feelings are shared with many of the members of this board - I would HATE to work at a job with 'business casual' rules. I don't know why us Americans love the thought of dressing down for work. I express myself through my fashion and dress. I'd actually turn down a decent job if the dress code was like that. I would love to wear suits to work. As smart as he may be, I would never fully respect a boss who wears dockers and a polo to work every day - and who makes that the mandatory dress code.

Some suggestions:

Do you have to wear khakis or could you wear standard dress pants? I think a pair of flat-front medium or charcoal-gray pants would look pretty nice while still being casual. I like the linen ideas, especially with summer approaching. Instead of solid oxfords, try a dress shirt with a nice striped or windowpane pattern. I'd also suggest French (double) cuff shirts with some nice cufflinks - either trendy or simple.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dress code is: Slacks, collared shirt, no tennis shoes

i think you're answering your own question here. why don't you get some dress pants instead of khakis?

since you don't wear a tie, i suggest short-sleeved dress shirts (no pocket) for warm weather.

shoes are a very personal choice to make. you're on your own.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's short sleeve, than it can by definition not be a dress shirt.

If it gets warm, then roll them up.

pokey07

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bump this rather than making a new thread.

What do you guys recommend for business casual pants? Right now I'm wearing J.Crew khakis, but they wrinkle so easily, stretch and generally just annoy the **** out of me. What are my best options for business casual pants? Should I stick to cotton?

I'm all ears for any other tips on spicing up "business casual." You can only do khakis and a polo so many times before thinking about sticking your head in a microwave.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07

What do you guys recommend for business casual pants? Right now I'm wearing J.Crew khakis, but they wrinkle so easily, stretch and generally just annoy the **** out of me. What are my best options for business casual pants? Should I stick to cotton?

I'm all ears for any other tips on spicing up "business casual." You can only do khakis and a polo so many times before thinking about sticking your head in a microwave.

Business casual can mean many different things. Only you know what you can and can't get away with in your particular office. That said, I don't think you need to stick to cotton for trousers. Wool can definitely work too. Wool dress trousers and a nice fitting dress shirt (as opposed to a polo shirt) will make you look nice without looking like you are trying to look better than everyone else. My first job out of college was "business casual" and this is what I wore. You can add a sport coat or a blazer if you don't think that would be over-doing it for your office. And don't forget about sweaters. On days when I don't wear a suit, sport coat, or blazer, my favorite look is: medium gray wool trousers and a white dress shirt underneath a navy v-neck sweater.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
There's a very good chapter on this topic in Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man. Rather than regurgitate it all to you, just break down and buy that book. It's worth every penny.

Hint - you are absolutely right about the need to give up on the polos and khakis. All they say about you is "drone."

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Dark blue Indigo denim jeans. Normal wash. No fading. Maybe something in the standard cut by 7 for all mankind. A sport shirt (top two buttons undone) and a well tailored sport coat with a pocket square. Do a fabric that is consistant with the texture of the denim. Do a casual leather loafer or some chukkas, maybe suede. Tie it all together with a handsome belt.

The dark indigo denim will look killer and "dressy" if you have them tailored.

The key to this "look" is to make sure everything fits correctly. Jeans being most important. Imo, a well fitting, tailored pair of indigo denim can look better than slacks. I'll get killed for saying that, but that is how I feel.

Ps: If you have balls, lose the square and do a windsor neckerchief.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Jeans being most important. Imo, a well fitting, tailored pair of indigo denim can look better than slacks. I'll get killed for saying that, but that is how I feel.
This is actually true. But where to get dark indigo denim with normal wash and no fades All the jeans I have seen have fade - and lots of it.

Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
If you have balls, lose the square and do a windsor neckerchief.
+100.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Hint - you are absolutely right about the need to give up on the polos and khakis. All they say about you is "drone."

Yes, every since I moved away from those, I have never looked back. Well-fitted polos can work though, under the right circumstances.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07

Some people are saying denim or wool. Both can be too warm, the latter can be too formal, and the former seldom will help career advancement. And they do not always meet office standards The easiest change would be to well-fitting no-iron cotton khakis from, say, Lands' End. By contrast, J. Crew is known to give some items a deliberately worn look.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
This is actually true. But where to get dark indigo denim with normal wash and no fades All the jeans I have seen have fade - and lots of it. +100.
7 for all mankind, standard fit. They have several indigo non fade options. Can be had at Barneys. They do 20% off denim sales all the time. Levi's premium line available at Barneys is also another option. I bought 4 pairs of denim a few weeks ago. Saved 30% (with the sale and by opening a Barneys card). Naked and famous denim and wool blend are another good option. The weird guy or slim guy fits look good with a jacket. Wash your jeans after 8-10 wears and do it in the bathtub with cold water and gentle detergent. Allow to drip dry and they will stay very dark for years.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Some people are saying denim or wool. Both can be too warm, the latter can be too formal, and the former seldom will help career advancement. And they do not always meet office standards The easiest change would be to well-fitting no-iron cotton khakis from, say, Lands' End. By contrast, J. Crew is known to give some items a deliberately worn look.
A well fitting dark pair of indigo denim, a tailored sport shirt, a sport coat and a neckerchief will have you looking far more formal than khakis and a button down,imo. When I see khakis and a button down I think boring and robotic. Complete with the dreaded pocket flair. I strongly disagree with your career advancement comment in regards to denim. Dark indigo denim can look better than cotton pants, imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads