• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Android frans but due to the lack of Android world phones, considerably smaller app store, and various handset problems (terrible battery life, non-functioning GPS, etc.) I have sold my soul to Apple and bought an iPhone. Maybe in 2 years I will re-evaluate.

^^^ If you're planning on buying a Galaxy S, I hear the Epic 4G far outclasses the other models.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i'm running an epic 4g now in houston and loving it.

there are a few issues of course like bad gps, not on froyo yet that need to be fixed quickly but i'm fairly confident that samsung is taking this release seriously and will be on top of it.

screen is so good. would be absolutely epic with iphone 4's resolution but man those blacks are perfect. i can see it in sunlight just fine.

i wish the power butter were better located.

probably my favorite part is that i can load almost any video file onto it straight from my computer and it plays. no painfully slow handbrake needed! that is so epic compared to my hero. so so epic.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What problems are you having w GPS?
I use mine all the time and have had no issues.

Battery life is still pretty decent...

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently abandoned my HTC Hero (running Froyo2.2 Cyanogen) for the EVO, which is also running a custom ROM 2.2 ROM built off of stock 2.2 rather than Cyanogen, which doesn't support 4G or HDMI out yet. The EVO is one of the greatest things I've ever owned and destroys my friends iPhone4 in everything except video-chat because there is nothing in the android world as nice as Face Time until Google releases mobile video Gchat (I'm in Baltimore where 4G is available)

Just about 15 minutes ago I finished evaluating the Epic 4G and while it is nice, I still prefer the EVO's screen. I think the Samsung interface is pretty crippling compared to HTC Sense or the stock Froyo launcher and the phone is in dire need of better custom ROMs (XDA-Developers' Epic thread is pretty young and empty)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Evo over Epic unless you need a keyboard.

Looking forward to having to make this decision. Went into a Sprint store on Friday and played with the Epic a bit; unfortunately they didn't have an Evo on display.

Still annoyed that Epic shipped with 2.1. It was lighter than I expected. Screen looked great. Buttons seemed a bit unresponsive.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that the epic seems to feel more flimsy and like a toy whereas the evo is very solid, at least my evo is solid as a rock

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
there are a few issues of course like bad gps, not on froyo yet that need to be fixed quickly but i'm fairly confident that samsung is taking this release seriously and will be on top of it.
Have you actually experienced GPS issues firsthand? I coulda sworn Samsung said that they fixed Galaxy S GPS issues for the Epic pre-launch. Did you make sure to turn on aGPS?

Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
The EVO is one of the greatest things I've ever owned and destroys my friends iPhone4 in everything except video-chat because there is nothing in the android world as nice as Face Time until Google releases mobile video Gchat (I'm in Baltimore where 4G is available)
Though it may appear polished, how useful actually is Face Time? I mean, I don't know anyone with an iPhone4. Contrast that with the number of people I know with Skype (which Fring for Android and Apple IIRC use). I think i'd rather stick with the Evo for videochat too.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Evo over Epic unless you need a keyboard.
Or if you want a capable GPU. Playing emulators on the Evo is a bit of a pain. If the PSXdroid developer ever bothers to update his app, the Epic will be even closer to perfection (like getting the dualshock to work instead of having to use the wiimote or keyboard.

Originally Posted by Althis
I read that the epic seems to feel more flimsy and like a toy whereas the evo is very solid, at least my evo is solid as a rock
My first unit was dropped quite a few times, not so much as a mark. I was using a screen protector but took it off once it started to peel up, i've heard the screen is insanely hard to scratch (haven't had any occur yet, had to replace my first one for speaker issues anyway though).

Bummed that I missed the mail yesterday, have to wait 'til Tuesday to get my phone now (**** Labor Day).

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I recently abandoned my HTC Hero (running Froyo2.2 Cyanogen) for the EVO, which is also running a custom ROM 2.2 ROM built off of stock 2.2 rather than Cyanogen, which doesn't support 4G or HDMI out yet. The EVO is one of the greatest things I've ever owned and destroys my friends iPhone4 in everything except video-chat because there is nothing in the android world as nice as Face Time until Google releases mobile video Gchat (I'm in Baltimore where 4G is available)
Hmm, I'm not seeing this. As I said, the Evo has some definite advantages: - larger screen - 4g speeds - customizability of Android - 8mpx camera (though estimations of quality vary) By contrast, the iPhone wins in the following areas: - screen resolution - software updates rollout speed - app store (250k vs. 70k) - battery life

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://phandroid.com/2010/09/07/unre...sense-devices/

Unrevoked 3.2 Provides 1-Click Root For 2.2 Sense Devices
by Quentyn Kennemer on September 7th, 2010 \t

Have you upgraded to the official upgrade to Android 2.2 on your EVO, Droid Incredible, or HTC Desire and are bummed because you can't find an easy way to root your phone again? Don't be, because the folks behind unrEVOked are back with version 3.2 to bring you guys up to speed again. It's just as simple as any 1-click-root method out there, so be sure to head on over to unrEVOked's site to get started (note that the HTC EVO 4G update has been pulled due to an unspecified issue but should be back up shortly).

thumb_550_unrevoked.PNG

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tech Crunch just ran a great article about some of the problems associated with Android's openness. I agree; if Google wants to create a legitimate competitor to iOS, they have to decide what direction to take the platform in, not merely issue updates and new features once in a while. http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/and...=Google+Reader
Android Is As Open As The Clenched Fist I’d Like To Punch The Carriers With MG Siegler This past weekend, I wrote a post wondering if Android was surging in the U.S. market because Apple was letting it? The main thought was that by remaining exclusively tied to AT&T, Apple was driving some users to choose Android, which is available on all the U.S. carriers. In the post, I posed a question: if it’s not the iPhone/AT&T deal, why do you choose Android? Nearly 1,000 people responded, and a large percentage focused on the same idea: the idea of “openness.” You’ll forgive me, but I have to say it: what a load of crap. In theory, I’m right there with you. The thought of a truly open mobile operating system is very appealing. The problem is that in practice, that’s just simply not the reality of the situation. Maybe if Google had their way, the system would be truly open. But they don’t. Sadly, they have to deal with a very big roadblock: the carriers. The result of this unfortunate situation is that the so-called open system is quickly revealing itself to be anything but. Further, we’re starting to see that in some cases the carriers may actually be able to exploit this “openness” to create a closed system that may leave you crying for Apple’s closed system — at least their’s looks good and behaves as expected. Case in point: the last couple of Android phones I’ve gotten as demo units from Google: the EVO 4G and the Droid 2, have been loaded up with crapware installed by the carriers (Sprint and Verizon, respectively). Apple would never let this fly on the iPhone, but the openness of Android means Google has basically no say in the matter. Consumers will get the crapware and they’ll like it. Not only that, plenty of this junk can’t even be uninstalled. How’s that for “open”? And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Earlier this year, Verizon rolled out its own V Cast app store on some BlackBerry devices. This occurred despite that fact that BlackBerry devices have their own app store (App World). From what we’re hearing, Verizon is also planning to launch this store on their Android phones as well in the future. Obviously, this store would be pre-installed, and it would likely be more prominently displayed than Android’s own Market for apps. Does V Cast have some good content? Probably. But most of it is undoubtedly crap that Verizon is trying to sell you for a high fee. But who cares whether it’s great or it’s crap — isn’t the point of “open” supposed to be that the consumer can choose what they want on their own devices? Instead, open is proving to mean that the carriers can choose what they want to do with Android. It’s too bad, but there is now a very real risk that the carriers are going to exploit the open system Google set up in order to create a new version of the bullshit proprietary ecosystems that they had before the iPhone came along and turned the market on its side. And it’s not just Verizon, it’s all the carriers. One of the great features of Android is that you can install apps without going through an app store, right? Well, not if you have an a Motorola Backflip or a HTC Aria running on AT&T — they’ve locked this feature down. How? Thanks to the open Android OS. Oh, and how about tethering? It’s one of the truly great features of Android 2.2, right? Well, not if you have a carrier that doesn’t want to support it. Google has to defer to them to enable their own native OS feature. It’s such an awesome feature — in the hands of Google. Once the carriers get their hands on it — not so much. Speaking of Android 2.2, you know it’s out there right? You’ll be forgiven if you don’t because a whopping 4.5 percent of you Android users are currently running it, according to Google’s dashboard. And again, that’s not Google’s fault, that’s all the carriers. Incredibly, over 35 percent of you still aren’t even running any version of Android 2.x. It’s pathetic. Apple gets crap for not supporting phones that are three years old with OS updates — the open Android system can’t even upgrade phones that are only a few months old in some cases — again, all thanks to the carriers. The excuses for why this is run rampant. They need to tweak their custom skins, they need to test the new software, etc. It’s all a bunch of garbage. This is an open platform and yet you’re more restricted than on Apple’s supposedly closed one. What happens when Verizon won’t update your phone to the latest greatest Android software — not because they can’t, but because they want you to upgrade to a new piece of hardware and sign the new two-year agreement that comes along with it? The game remains the same. My point is not to bash Google — what they’ve created is an excellent mobile operating system. My point is that the same “openness” that Android users are touting as a key selling point of the OS could very well end up being its weak point. If you don’t think Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint are going to try to commandeer the OS in an attempt to return to their glory days where we were all slaves to their towers, you’re being naive. “Open” is great until you have to define it or defend it. I’m not sure Google can continue to do either in this situation. And before all of you pros storm the comments with how great it is to root your Android phones, consider the average consumers here. They are the ones being screwed by this exploitation of “open.” Anyone with the desire to do so can fairly easily hack an iPhone too. Open is not a reason to choose Android + carrier vs. iPhone + AT&T. Update: Oh, and one more great example Michael Prassel reminded me of in the comments — do you want Skype on your Android phone? Well, I hope you have Verizon because otherwise you won’t be able to install it. “Open.” We’re only going to see more of this, not less.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MG Siegler is a ****. The end.

I'm on the verge of giving up reading TC cause of his BS. That article has some valid points but I'll still take Android and its "flawed openess" any day over the iPhone's locked OS. At least I do have the choice with it.

Loving my EVO!

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it took me only a couple days to figure out how to root and use nand/adb on my evo. it's not that hard when there are tons of guides out there showing exactly how to do it

maybe people shouldn't be buying smart phones if they don't know (or don't want to know) how to use them...

Riio

Reaction score
no one's posting homescreens yet? just got a samsung vibrant a few weeks ago, here's what i stuck with after playing around with launcherpro and desktop visualizer:
PHHCM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads