• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^yeah, i pay cash, don't like monthly payments, which is another reason i gave up leasing

You're just a baller these days.

I say, whatever makes you happy. For me, it's leasing, as the math makes sense for me.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, leasing was the way to go for me when i owned my own biz. cant write it off now

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^yeah, leasing was the way to go for me when i owned my own biz. cant write it off now

Even if you can't write it off, it can still make sense. I am itching to trade in after 20 months. Knowing I'm going to trade every 36 months or so, leasing makes the most monetary sense to me, given that restriction.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
leasing is nice if you want a new car all the time. However, if you don't want to pay for something that degrades for life..then paying for cash is the better option.

What does this mean? Just wondering.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
leasing is nice if you want a new car all the time. However, if you don't want to pay for something that degrades for life..then paying for cash is the better option.
Paying for cash? The **** you talking about? It makes the most sense to me to rent a liability. I do not understand buying a car (unless you are talking about an older classic car or something with sentimental/hobby interest). You are always losing money in depreciation, whether you make payments or not. Then you are paying out of pocket for things that break and maintenance. This costs both time and money. Then you are driving an old car with outdated safety features, an aged suspension, paint losing its luster, interior parts wearing, things starting to rattle, etc. Buying a used car is even more of a gamble of the old CarFax "oh, sorry, there was a record three years ago that popped up right before you decided to trade it in saying your car had frame damage, so sorry now that your car has lost 50% of its value overnight and you are still financed on 100% of that!" Or you could simply pay one payment for a brand new car, pay nothing for maintenance, have to take it in one time for a couple hours during the entire lease period, not worry about having to sell it, trade it in, or if it's been in an accident, and be in another brand new a few years down the line. For me it is such a no brainer that it astounds me that people do anything else. Don't even get me started on the people that think it's smart to pay $50+K up front in cash on something that will lose 40-50% in three years. Jesus.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a solid argument for leasing a new car over buying a used car.
facepalm.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
much of the depreciation seems to happen in the first few years though.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
much of the depreciation seems to happen in the first few years though.

That's only b/c after the first 3-4 years there is no value left to depreciate.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Paying for cash? The **** you talking about?

It makes the most sense to me to rent a liability.

I do not understand buying a car (unless you are talking about an older classic car or something with sentimental/hobby interest). You are always losing money in depreciation, whether you make payments or not. Then you are paying out of pocket for things that break and maintenance. This costs both time and money. Then you are driving an old car with outdated safety features, an aged suspension, paint losing its luster, interior parts wearing, things starting to rattle, etc. Buying a used car is even more of a gamble of the old CarFax "oh, sorry, there was a record three years ago that popped up right before you decided to trade it in saying your car had frame damage, so sorry now that your car has lost 50% of its value overnight and you are still financed on 100% of that!"

Or you could simply pay one payment for a brand new car, pay nothing for maintenance, have to take it in one time for a couple hours during the entire lease period, not worry about having to sell it, trade it in, or if it's been in an accident, and be in another brand new a few years down the line.

For me it is such a no brainer that it astounds me that people do anything else. Don't even get me started on the people that think it's smart to pay $50+K up front in cash on something that will lose 40-50% in three years. Jesus.

So if you lease with a 60% residual...you're somehow bypassing the 40% depreciation right? And the money factor is nothing like the APR on a loan right? And new/CPO cars don't have warranties right? And there are no other fees associated with leasing right?
facepalm.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^yeah, i pay cash, don't like monthly payments, which is another reason i gave up leasing

yeah, I stopped leasing but I put a lot of miles on my cars and I don't feel a need to get a new one every three years.

Originally Posted by distinctive
Thinking about an A4. Any Audi owners want to share your thoughs on repair costs/reliability?

I have two, one 2-3 years old and the other less than 1 year old, and have yet to have a problem. Obviously, like any other brand, I am sure some have had issues but I can tell you that they are not Land Rovers.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
So if you lease with a 60% residual...you're somehow bypassing the 40% depreciation right? And the money factor is nothing like the APR on a loan right? And new/CPO cars don't have warranties right? And there are no other fees associated with leasing right?
facepalm.gif

My argument was more targeted versus buying a used car as many seem to advocate that as the holy grail. Since I am ordering an M3, I have done the comparison. Residual is 59%. The lease deal is roughly equivalent on paper to the 1.9%/60mo deal currently offered in terms of TCO. However, if you factor in what happened with the E46 M3, where trade-in values for 2006 M3s were about 35-38% of MSRP in good cases, with the probability that this may happen again with the introduction of the new model during the 3 year period, it makes darn good sense to lease. Correct me if my reasoning is off..

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why 2 a4s?

Originally Posted by edmorel
yeah, I stopped leasing but I put a lot of miles on my cars and I don't feel a need to get a new one every three years.

I have two, one 2-3 years old and the other less than 1 year old, and have yet to have a problem. Obviously, like any other brand, I am sure some have had issues but I can tell you that they are not Land Rovers.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^nevermind, you meant 2 audis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads