• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

CrazyJ

Reaction score
http://www.gilt.com/s/yomoto-900/product/37599301 Y by Yohji blazer. I've been looking for a sport coat for weeks, since the only two I really own are a cheap Zara one and some other tacky thing from buckle. This would be my go to blazer to wear casually (I have a suit already), but it would be a significant investment for me at $400. I've heard people say that Yohji is ridiculously overpriced for its quality, but it does seem pretty nice. The other thing is that I've also heard that it tends to be designed towards taller folk. I was going for the size 2 (38), which is probably going to end up being 30.5in, since size 3 is 31in.. even though they don't specify, and I'm 5'6. Do you think it'll be too long? The slimness is no problem, as I have a 36 Julius piece that fits me fine. I'm just worried about the length. Opinions?

d-nice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
lookin at the adam kimmel suede military boot right now wondering if i should get it. how are adam kimmel shoes?

I have a pair of AK boots and they are comfortable and the quality is good. I would never pay anything close to retail for them though. I dont really like the military boots but they would be good for snow.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by d-nice
I have a pair of AK boots and they are comfortable and the quality is good. I would never pay anything close to retail for them though. I dont really like the military boots but they would be good for snow.

thanks. you dont like the boots from the picture, or , you saw it in person and you dont like it?

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Need some quick opinions on the blazer. I wish I could link a picture but I have no idea how.
frown.gif

I think I'm holding onto the last one as it's sold out now. *clicks checkout again*

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
http://www.gilt.com/s/yomoto-900/product/37599301

Y by Yohji blazer. I've been looking for a sport coat for weeks, since the only two I really own are a cheap Zara one and some other tacky thing from buckle. This would be my go to blazer to wear casually (I have a suit already), but it would be a significant investment for me at $400.

I've heard people say that Yohji is ridiculously overpriced for its quality, but it does seem pretty nice. The other thing is that I've also heard that it tends to be designed towards taller folk. I was going for the size 2 (38), which is probably going to end up being 30.5in, since size 3 is 31in.. even though they don't specify, and I'm 5'6. Do you think it'll be too long? The slimness is no problem, as I have a 36 Julius piece that fits me fine. I'm just worried about the length.

Opinions?

Without getting into the whole debate of what constitutes "quality", the mainline (YYPH) is pretty damn good in general. While it might have been higher in the 90's (I have very little personal experience with this), the fabrics are very nice, understated but often goes very well with the design of the garment (see signature wool gabardine that strikes a perfect balance of weight and drape), and the construction is also very well made. In regards to pricing, note that US pricing is about 30-50% more expensive than japanese retail. Still, YYPH pricing have been sky high (peaking in fw08 and ss09) but seems to be slowly going down now.

As for Y's and Y's for Men, some have claimed that quality has dropped some over the years but I don't think it's particularly bad and you're basically paying mid-level brand pricing for that particular jacket. If that's the kind of detailing and cut you're looking for, I say go for it.

On another note, if those YYPH high military boots came in green or black, I would've jumped. They have my size too, and below 200 is a good price.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Well I took a look at the mainline Yohji, and while it might obviously seem like the quality should be better in consideration of the price increase from the Y coats, I couldn't stand the cheesy messages wrapped around both blazers gilt picked out. I don't really wanna walk around wearing a jacket that says "I'm depressed" or "I lost my way home"

got my finger on the trigger right now. D:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it just me of is there something real appealing with these jeans?
nzg0si.jpg

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
^ I hate these lol
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
^ where do you find this stuff? is it the same site you told me last time? amazing stuff. i like this things that i can wear that no one in a hundred mile vicinity would come close to matching.
Yahoo Japan Auctions for these two items Check out the link in my sig

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Is it just me of is there something real appealing with these jeans?
nzg0si.jpg

i love them. however, you got to have long legs. sometimes i find a jean that is amazing but the points where my knee is supposed to fall goes high above and that section ends up at my shin. disappointing.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Yahoo Japan Auctions for these two items

Check out the link in my sig

thanks!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the model is supposed to be 6'2" while the jeans have a 37" inseam. I was searching google and I don't think it would look that bad if you have shorter legs, Kanye is pretty short and the knee details is just right on his knees, maybe a bit lower since he is sagging a bit.
Kanye-West-Tim1.jpg

CrazyJ

Reaction score
For $400, should I wait and see if something else comes up on SF or gilt instead?

I like it a lot, but I guess what's holding me back is the fact that Y is a very little known line, so it's hard to for anyone to testify for Y's quality. Whereas if I was spending this much on a McQ blazer, I know it'd be amazingly made.

It's also great because it's a slim fit though, which is what I really need.

ryannn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
For $400, should I wait and see if something else comes up on SF or gilt instead?

I like it a lot, but I guess what's holding me back is the fact that no one has ever really heard of Y or yohji, so it's hard to for anyone to testify for Y's quality. Whereas if I was spending this much on a McQ blazer, I know it'd be amazingly made.

It's also great because it's a slim fit though, which is what I really need.

Lol

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Yeah, the model is supposed to be 6'2" while the jeans have a 37" inseam.

I was searching google and I don't think it would look that bad if you have shorter legs, Kanye is pretty short and the knee details is just right on his knees, maybe a bit lower since he is sagging a bit.]

dont compare it to kanye for look! he is a douchebag. plus he is doing the exact thing right there that defines his idiocy. he also is wearing the thigh part on his knee and the knee bend area on his shin as well.
i dont know how small his waist is, but if he is a thicker waisted guy but just short, that may be the problem.

but if youre a petite guy wearing a size 28 or something, im sure the leg length would be adjusted for smaller legs proportionately so it may work on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads