• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zhouyu
was offered 700 a bottle of '98 Ch Lafite... buy and flip it? or not even worth the hassle?

I wouldn't, unless you know a great deal about vintage ultra-premium wine sales, have connections to people who buy wines of this caliber, can store them in a temp and humidity controlled environment and can prove they have always been stored that way, and be ready to sit on them for a long time waiting for a buyer.

People who buy wines of this stature generally have no qualms about paying and "extra" $100 - $200 per bottle to guarantee the provenance of their wine. I don't think you'll be able to sell these easily, if at all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In my experience, the secondary wine market is pretty low right now. I'd be pretty careful about trying to flip stuff.

Matt, waiting on your non-write up.

Last night, had an 07 Hanna RRV Chard with shrimp pesto. Nice wine, cut through the pesto well, noticeable oak but not a bomb, decent acidity and about $17 a bottle.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
07 Topel Reserve PN, Monterrey. Nice little bottle. A tad jammy, little smoke, easy to drink. One of the nearly 100 bottles we brought back from Sonoma.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
One of the nearly 100 bottles we brought back from Sonoma.

Awesome.

We could bring back 4!!!
frown.gif

cmsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Awesome.

We could bring back 4!!!
frown.gif

Same here
frown.gif

Although I did bring back 17 from Oregon on my trip there last fall. I foolishly thought I'd just pay the duty, luckily when I told the customs officer that I had brought back "some beer and wine" he neglected to ask how much.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2008 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Riesling Kabinett feinherb

Whatever all that means.

Edit: OMG. Was this good. 10.5% ETOH, crisp, citrus, easy to drink. Went perfectly with pollo asado.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried the Kenwood zinfandel in class today. Was excellent. Good potential for daily drinker. The rest were meh

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
what region was the focus and what other wines were tasted?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday's handout

http://jump.fm/YSRCS

Region was California

We had

07 Bonterra Viognier from Mendocino/Lake

08 Chateau St Jean Fume Blanc from Sonoma

08 Beringer Chardonnay from Napa

NV Gallo Twin Valley Hearty Burgundy from California

08 Laetitia Estate Pinot Noir from Arroyo Grande Valley

07 Kenwood Zinfandel from Sonoma

07 Jade Mountain Merlot from Napa/San Luis Obispo

I dunno. The pinot was disappointing compared the ones I've had so far. The Gallo Hearty Burgundy was surprisingly good. Not complicated, short finish, short front palate, but well balanced. Would bring to a college party. I thought the pinot was a better but only by a little bit. The Beringer Chardonnay was nice. Not overly manipulated, little butter from ML, little toast from oak, good fruitiness, well balanced. The only thing I'd actually buy would be the Chateau St Jean Fume Blanc (good acidity, long finish, good fruitiness) and the Kenwood Zinfandel

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good viogniers to try? I quite like Condrieu (I've tried a few from Domaine Cuilleron) but would like to see what the new world has to offer. Thanks in advance.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Can anyone recommend some good viogniers to try? I quite like Condrieu (I've tried a few from Domaine Cuilleron) but would like to see what the new world has to offer. Thanks in advance.

Recently had some Rosenblum, Novy Family, and DuMol. The DuMol was way overprice, but I wasn't buying, so
cheers.gif

I would say that any from the Russian River Valley, from a winery with some history, would probably be pretty drinkable.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Recently had some Rosenblum, Novy Family, and DuMol. The DuMol was way overprice, but I wasn't buying, so
cheers.gif

I would say that any from the Russian River Valley, from a winery with some history, would probably be pretty drinkable.

Cheers - I'll take a look to see if my places carry any of these. Do you know anything about Paras Vineyards in Napa or Alban in the Edna Valley? Alban in particular seems to get a fair bit of positive attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads