• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bugs and insects as food

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else eat them?

I would like information on the best to eat and how to (safely) cook/prepare them.

Also, where do you source them from? (I'm in US)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bugs Are People!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these bugs or animals?
puzzled.gif
Or people?

escargot.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
You are really dumb, for real.

No argument from me; I am really dumb.

But I know bugs are people.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Ask the chickens.

I'm not sure about sourcing from nature because of possible contamination with not being sure what their diet history is. Have you tried raising crickets and just keeping them on a plant based diet with carrots, lettuce, etc.?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ask the chickens.

Chickens that eat bugs taste a lot better than chickens that eat grain. I still don't want to eat bugs myself, though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure about sourcing from nature because of possible contamination with not being sure what their diet history is. Have you tried raising crickets and just keeping them on a plant based diet with carrots, lettuce, etc.?
Why yes, yes I have tried that. Who hasn't?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Are these bugs or animals?
puzzled.gif

I'd prefer something with different texture than a slug type, more on the crispy side. I once tried a roasted clam and it was just like eating a lard of fat. Also would like insects/bugs high in protein and other nutrients.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why yes, yes I have tried that. Who hasn't?

Lulz to the max

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd prefer something with different texture than a slug type, more on the crispy side. I once tried a roasted clam and it was just like eating a lard of fat. Also would like insects/bugs high in protein and other nutrients.

No troll, just genuinely curious: how does the eating of insects conform with your vegan philosophy? Where do you draw the line on which creatures can be eaten and which cannot? It would seem that the basis for your decision to eat, or not eat, an animal is based on your best guess about its capacity for suffering, as estimated from your best guess about its intelligence.

How do you know that a cricket isn't capable of suffering? Or a clam? Some distant genetic cousins of the terrestrial mollusks, octopi and nautili, have been shown to have intelligence exceeding that of 99% of mammals, including your precious cows (which, in the grand hierarchy of animal intelligence, are remarkably low on the list).

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
No troll, just genuinely curious: how does the eating of insects conform with your vegan philosophy? Where do you draw the line on which creatures can be eaten and which cannot? It would seem that the basis for your decision to eat, or not eat, an animal is based on your best guess about its capacity for suffering, as estimated from your best guess about its intelligence.

How do you know that a cricket isn't capable of suffering? Or a clam? Some distant genetic cousins of the terrestrial mollusks, octopi and nautili, have been shown to have intelligence exceeding that of 99% of mammals, including your precious cows (which, in the grand hierarchy of animal intelligence, are remarkably low on the list).

Intelligence is a considerable aspect, but self-awareness more importantly.

I'm not a vegan, or else I wouldn't be asking for suggestions on what insects to eat. I suspect that insects/bugs aren't (as) capable of suffering because they are a common prey. Evolutionarily, developmentally, physiologically, it would not make sense for them to experience existence or pain to the magnitude of other animals.

I don't eat clams. That was a one time thing many years ago and an experience I wouldn't want to have again.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that insects/bugs aren't (as) capable of suffering because they are a common prey. Evolutionarily, developmentally, physiologically, it would not make sense for them to experience existence or pain to the magnitude of other animals.
Applying this standard, isn't any omnivore found in the wild alright for humans to consume?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Intelligence is a considerable aspect, but self-awareness more importantly.

I'm not a vegan, or else I wouldn't be asking for suggestions on what insects to eat. I suspect that insects/bugs aren't (as) capable of suffering because they are a common prey. Evolutionarily, developmentally, physiologically, it would not make sense for them to experience existence or pain to the magnitude of other animals.

I don't eat clams. That was a one time thing many years ago and an experience I wouldn't want to have again.

Excellent conflation to include teleology. Don't think I've ever quite seen this combo before. But as we both agree, I'm teh dumb, so pay no attention to my comment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics