• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Could I get feedback on the fit of this jacket?

I see some puckering over your biceps on the upper jacket arm. I'm guessing you are pretty athletically built.
The sleeve and jacket body length is nice.
I dont like the "double break" you have on your trousers at the knee - heavy weight cotton is troublesome that way...

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeremiahJW
Got a wedding at the end of the month and I am in it, I need a black suit, 2 button 36s and would like a slim fit, I jammed myself up by waiting so late and was wondering if you guys have any options. I might just rent since every suit I see is $800, I have read some threads here and searched online but I don't really see suits for $500.

Thanks.

I vote for the rental option. Any possible future occasion you might come across to wear a black suit that you owned would require it be of finer quality than say a Men's Wearhouse $400 variety.

greg.turner

Reaction score
I normally wear a 42r. There are currently some great sports coats at a local thrift store, but they're a little big. How big can I go before tailoring and alterations just aren't an option?

JR'85

Reaction score
Preface: I did a forum search on "French Cuff" and came up with 991 forum threads... I'm still scouring through them but in the mean time...

Does anyone have a link they can post to a thread on the do's and dont's or general rules of wearing shirts with French cuffs? (i.e. Only with suit and tie? Can they be worn in business casual with trousers and jacket sans tie?) I like the look and personal touch of style that comes with the cuff links but my work dress is more business casual and rarely requires a suit (or even a tie for that matter). Is the French cuff considered too dressy for casual attire?

I appreciate the input!

EDIT: Refined the search query. Found what I was looking for.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it permissible to post a duplicate sale thread in the Men's Clothing sale forum after posting one in the Street Wear sale forum?

I have some blazers that might have crossover appeal to Men's clothing.

durstgt

Reaction score
What color tie would you recommend with a purple and white stripe shirt? The stripes are equal size and are probably 3-5mm wide. This is a similar shade and size. http://moderntailor.com/items/common...9246561980.jpg

I was thinking gold or orange. I'll be wearing it with a dark grey suit and brown shoes FWIW.

Thanks.

--Chris

addewitt

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on how to find a good tailor in my city? I'm new to it and don't know any of them here.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Fit feedback please! Also, any thoughts if this could be pressed into more of a 3 roll 2 or at least 3r2.5?

449666d1.jpg
539a22bd.jpg
72ab57b6.jpg
5ae04e03.jpg

Are the sleeves too short or is it just the sleeves that are too long on my shirt making it look like that? Is the overall length too long?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Are the sleeves too short or is it just the sleeves that are too long on my shirt making it look like that? Is the overall length too long?

I would say both. The Shirt is way too long, the jacket is acceptable (but on the slightly short side).

con detail

Reaction score
I recently found an old pair of plain toe Florsheim imperials at a thrift store that have 3 v-cleats on each heel. I cannot figure a reason why someone might put additional v-cleats in the heels so I thought maybe Florsheim might done this with the imperial line at one point. So does anyone know if florsheim used 3 v-cleats ever or why these shoes might have the two additional cleats?

-thanks

captmomo

Reaction score
For Seavees moccasins, should I go TTS or downsize by half to account for the leather stretching?

EFBenson

Reaction score
does anyone know how to remove the scuff marks on these suede shoes? they don't come out using a crepe brush

Morgan

Reaction score
abliss, those are the "stone" color available here. I have them and they darken fairly quickly with regular use. However, they provide zero support for your foot. After about six months I sucked it up and bought a pair of Alden suede chukkas with a single oiled leather sole, like these. The difference is huge. I can wear them all weekend and my feet feel great. Plus my toes don't catch on carpeting like they do with the crepe sole. If you like the crepe sole though, there are stores that sell the Aldens with a crepe sole and leather toe, which is a pretty good solution. I think Crate in L.A. offers these.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cerebrals
I've been trying to find a topcoat with a red (inner?) collar just as same as Rory Stewart (British MP) is wearing. Does anyone know where can I get one? Thanks in advance.
You might consider having a tailor replace the undercollar melton with red. It's not a really big job for a skilled tailor. See below:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=185545

Originally Posted by JxhnG
Hello,

I'm looking for a source of good quality 100% cotton tees that are available in a variety of colors... and hopefully won't cost a fortune.

AA shirts offer said variety of colors but their sizing is extremely inconsistent.

BDG shirts fit well but I can never find them in 100% cotton.

BR shirts also fit well and are available in 100% cotton, but their color selection is pretty limited.

Some I've heard of but haven't yet tried are AX, Jcrew, Topman and Uniqlo.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

This has been done to death in the Streetwear & Denim forum. Personally, I've been happy with Uniqlo t-shirts.

Originally Posted by JeremiahJW
Got a wedding at the end of the month and I am in it, I need a black suit, 2 button 36s and would like a slim fit, I jammed myself up by waiting so late and was wondering if you guys have any options. I might just rent since every suit I see is $800, I have read some threads here and searched online but I don't really see suits for $500.
+1 on the rental option. What you're likely to find for $500 on short notice is not going to be good.

Originally Posted by frascati
I saw some photgraphs from the turn of the century showing workmen's pants with a couple of inches of rise above the belt loops. Kind of hard to describe it better. Not that the belt loops were lower on the waist, but the top of the pants were a couple of inches higher, particularly at the sides. Is there a name for this type of pant style?
Were they worn with suspenders? Some dress trousers are made with a "fishback" design for suspenders.

Originally Posted by jrd617
Is it permissible to post a duplicate sale thread in the Men's Clothing sale forum after posting one in the Street Wear sale forum?

I have some blazers that might have crossover appeal to Men's clothing.

Sometimes. See j's post below:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=451

Originally Posted by addewitt
Can anyone give me advice on how to find a good tailor in my city? I'm new to it and don't know any of them here.

You might consider a starting a thread with your question in the Men's Clothing forum if a forum search turns up no threads mentioning tailors in your new city.

Originally Posted by EFBenson
does anyone know how to remove the scuff marks on these suede shoes? they don't come out using a crepe brush

I'm not sure what a crepe brush is. It looks like a suede brush would take care of those scuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads