• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Willie5566

Reaction score
Had mine for a couple of months. I have had the proximity issue as well as the death grip. The phone sucks but everything else is awesome!
eh.gif
As for the battery life-take it back. The battery is great. I get a full day out of it, with about 25% remaining by the end of the day. I am a very high user-games, music,a lot of email, two phone numbers running to the same phone, some streaming, etc.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just upgraded to 4.1. Anyone taken any HDR photos yet?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, just tried this myself. Elements appear to be crisper but the colour is a bit washed out. Overall, I'd say it's an improvement. Normal.......................................................................................................................HDR
img0038rn.jpg
img0039n.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprise announcement, Apple is relaxing restrictions on developer tools for creating apps and will be publishing guidelines for its app approval process. Should increase accessibility and transparency, notably for those who used adobe's compiler to make their apps. I wonder if Apple is feeling the heat from Android. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html
— The App Store℠ has revolutionized the way mobile applications are developed and distributed. With over 250,000 apps and 6.5 billion downloads, the App Store has become the world's largest mobile application platform and App Store developers have earned over one billion dollars from the sales of their apps. We are continually trying to make the App Store even better. We have listened to our developers and taken much of their feedback to heart. Based on their input, today we are making some important changes to our iOS Developer Program license in sections 3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.9 to relax some restrictions we put in place earlier this year. In particular, we are relaxing all restrictions on the development tools used to create iOS apps, as long as the resulting apps do not download any code. This should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security we need. In addition, for the first time we are publishing the App Store Review Guidelines to help developers understand how we review submitted apps. We hope it will make us more transparent and help our developers create even more successful apps for the App Store. The App Store is perhaps the most important milestone in the history of mobile software. Working together with our developers, we will continue to surprise and delight our users with innovative mobile apps.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Surprise announcement, Apple is relaxing restrictions on developer tools for creating apps and will be publishing guidelines for its app approval process. Should increase accessibility and transparency, notably for those who used adobe's compiler to make their apps. I wonder if Apple is feeling the heat from Android. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html
This is big news. The one complaint against the App Store has been it's opaque review process. Glad to see Apple actually listens. There's no way they're feeling the heat from Android, though. The Android Market has so many problems to overcome right now.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
There's no way they're feeling the heat from Android, though. The Android Market has so many problems to overcome right now.

+1. Android suffers from the same old UNIX balkanization that's been around for decades.

--Andre

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to take a walk today and test the camera a little more thoroughly. Above: normal Below: HDR
img0046bni.jpg
img0047fa.jpg
Here we see that the HDR picture, despite adding definition to the clouds and evening out the blue of the sky, actually bleeds colour from the rest of the photo, especially the grass and the brick. The normal is superior in my mind.
img0058xt.jpg
img0059d.jpg
Here's an interesting case. At first blush, the HDR photo is far superior: colours are more vivid, the sky isn't just a white splotch, and the excess shadows are gone. However, look at the two men. In the second picture, they've doubled up. This is because they were moving when the photo was taken, but in HDR mode two (or three) photos are taken in rapid succession and then merged. Unfortunately, the capture isn't instantaneous so any movement in the frame leads to stuttering and artifacts. Pity.
img0066fu.jpg
img0067q.jpg
This one's a question of taste. The normal photo is more saturated, with deeper and richer colours, but lacks the detail of the HDR version, which brings out the highlights in shadowy areas. Both are nice, though my preference is for the colour of the former. In Conclusion: 1. HDR is useless for action shots. 2. It will also either add or remove colour depending on the lighting, so it's really just a question of knowing when to use it (I still don't). 3. It's practically a given that the sky will look much, much better in an HDR photo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^It's good to see the comparison between normal and HDR. Thanks for doing this.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HolyM,

Are those pictures displayed in their normal size?

Just curious.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the real pics are massive: 2529 x 1936 pixels at 72 dpi. They run about 2mb each in size.

I reduced these to 640x480 for the forum.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
No, the real pics are massive: 2529 x 1936 pixels at 72 dpi. They run about 2mb each in size.

I reduced these to 640x480 for the forum.

Got it, thx. Those don't look half bad. May get one when my phone dies.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty cool. I just found an app called Zumocast which streams any media (videos, songs, documents) to your iphone/ipad via wifi or 3g. All you need to do is install the app, download and install the program to your computer, and create an account. All the media stays on your computer so there is no conversion or uploading required. And having tested it over wifi, the quality is superb and there is no lag or stuttering during play. App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appadvice/id386461020 Website: https://www.zumocast.com/files IN THE INTEREST OF FULL DISCLOSURE: 1. The app is free and has no ads, which leads me to believe that it will soon be either ad-supported or split into paid and free versions (which may already be taking place), or both. For the moment, however, the free version has 100% functionality. 2. The privacy policy is a bit sketchy. To wit:
When you use the Services, we collect personal information from you and about you. Personal information refers to information that can be used to contact or identify you and information on your use of the Services. Personal information that we collect include, but is not limited to, your name, email addresses, credit card or other payment method information, telephone numbers, home, business, and/or billing postal addresses, email contacts (names and email addresses), IP addresses, preferences and settings, and activities and the date and time of activities performed during the use of the Services.
I figure it's entirely possible they may be giving/selling this to third parties. So use at your own risk if you value your privacy.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm trying zumocast out right now. it will convert to 29.95 a year but there's some referral plan for a freebie. i used my dummy info to sign up for it. the interface/app is really clean and it's way smoother than subsonic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads