• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why burberry is so expensive?

jc1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

There is always someone who can custom make the same type of thing better for less. Its really not about quality, cut, finish, materials, its about that little label they add when they are all done. That is what raises the price 300%

Originally Posted by Coburn
Otavalo the City?

How do you arrange this?

Yes Otavalo, the city famous for their wool and wool products. There is a gentleman who sells direct from Otavalo on ebay, but if you buy 3 or more sweaters he will have them custom made in the style, color, and measurements you wish. At least he did that for me. They will last forever.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

letmefly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
burberry is trying to price itself out of its main market: chavs, hooligans and member of footballer's firms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burberr...revitalisation

facepalm.gif

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I would give Burberry a wide berth. They closed down their UK factory a couple of years ago and sacked all their staff, most had been there many years, they then contracted their production out to a company in the building next to me in HK who make it all in Shenzhen. Now they have the balls to start upping prices when production costs must be 10% of what they were before. They won't get one cent from me. I don't mind brands getting in made in China but reflect it in the cost, there is nothing luxury about a bunch of peasants toiling away for 16 hrs a day for peanuts. More and more seems to be going this route even though they don't admit.

Neb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc1234
There is always someone who can custom make the same type of thing better for less. Its really not about quality, cut, finish, materials, its about that little label they add when they are all done. That is what raises the price 300%

As a Graphic Designer, I can make any label you'd like so you can buy knockoffs with a 100% accurate knock-off label!
fight[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
I would give Burberry a wide berth. They closed down their UK factory a couple of years ago and sacked all their staff, most had been there many years, they then contracted their production out to a company in the building next to me in HK who make it all in Shenzhen. Now they have the balls to start upping prices when production costs must be 10% of what they were before. They won't get one cent from me. I don't mind brands getting in made in China but reflect it in the cost, there is nothing luxury about a bunch of peasants toiling away for 16 hrs a day for peanuts. More and more seems to be going this route even though they don't admit.

Globalization my friend...

People who thought prices will go down as a result of cutting labour costs were fools.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc1234
Maybe for some items but I have never seen someone custom make a replica Burberry prorsum runway outfit. Someone could do it I suppose. That could be an expensive experiment. Most people here do not pay retail FYI.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
You probably got a Burberry Brit or London from the department store. Both lines are pretty crappy. London has some decent stuff at times, but very overpriced. Brit, besides being overpriced, is just complete ****.

London is indeed serviceable once discounted. I have a pair of its wool Oxford bags that I am fond of

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You should take a poal on that subject.

A "How to spell 'M8'" poal doesn't say "popular attraction" to me

Originally Posted by DLester
I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

^ This

Bellum

Reaction score

+1

Most Burberry I've seen in recent years has been underwhelming. The $120 boxer and t-shirt set they sell at Saks is a joke.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would give Burberry a wide berth.

They're the United Fruit Company of clothiers. (Ironically, it's not Banana Republic.)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burberry is part of a global corporation ... with blinders focused on growth, visibility, brand awareness, advertising and most expecially PROFIT! It's a world where perception trumps reality. The family run business that cared about integrity and quality is long gone.

pendragon

Reaction score
Actually, they are priced at $$$$ simply so that people can sell them on the B&S saying "retail $$$$ reduced to... $$."

JN41

Reaction score
This is hearsay, but I once heard that Burberry actually *destroys* any surplus merchandise every season /year in order to ensure that nothing is reduced to sale/clearance bins, and thereby protecting the exclusivity and "prestige" of the brand.

On one hand, this could be completely false. On the other, it could even be common among high end design houses. Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of the fashion industry?

Yika

Reaction score
Only like the Burberry Black Label line

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JN41
This is hearsay, but I once heard that Burberry actually *destroys* any surplus merchandise every season /year in order to ensure that nothing is reduced to sale/clearance bins, and thereby protecting the exclusivity and "prestige" of the brand.

On one hand, this could be completely false. On the other, it could even be common among high end design houses. Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of the fashion industry?

I have a Burberry jacket I bought at Nordstrom Rack for around 50% off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads