• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Shot a gentleman's 85. Not an incredible score, but I felt good about it after having not played for over a year. Plus it was my first time ever shooting with a new driver. So not bad at all. Was absolutely crushing it off the tee, and only had 30 putts the whole round, but it is always my midrange game that suffers when I take major time off. Oh well. Hopefully will get out a few more times this year, maybe whittle it down to 80.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would be a happy camper with 85. Hell, happy with 95.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I would be a happy camper with 85. Hell, happy with 95.
Been playing for over half of my life man. Plus I'm young and spry, if fat. i think by the time i'm the ripe old age of nearing 40 I'd be happy with 100. TBH, though, I'm quite happy with 85. When I used to play regularly, I would only get down to mid-80s after playing most of the season. I think today was a good combo of finally getting a decent driver and having gained a lot of muscle since playing last.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Been playing for over half of my life man. Plus I'm young and spry, if fat. i think by the time i'm the ripe old age of nearing 40 I'd be happy with 100.
I was talking to a guy on the range who's 70. Says he's still shooting 78. Watching him, I believe it. Not long, drives about 200 yards, but each and every single shot goes right where he wants it to. Oh, I get to tell a long drive story now. I have no idea what the total distance on the driving range is, as they move it up and down to get new grass, but I whacked one onto the road at the end of the range with my new Nike. Then I promptly raped the worms on the next swing
frown.gif

nairb49

Reaction score
What I'm doing is taking about ten practice swings, without a ball, and the goal is to take a divot just in front of where the ball should be.

Just want to make sure you're not setting up to cause yourself tons of grief, your divot should occur on the target side of the ball.... always...

Probably what you meant by "in front" of the ball, but just looking out for you
smile.gif
! Although, if your instructor is telling you to hit ground first, then ball, you better start looking for a new instructor
teacha.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nairb49
Just want to make sure you're not setting up to cause yourself tons of grief, your divot should occur on the target side of the ball.... always...

Probably what you meant by "in front" of the ball, but just looking out for you
smile.gif
! Although, if your instructor is telling you to hit ground first, then ball, you better start looking for a new instructor
teacha.gif

Target side. Descending blow on the ball.

nairb49

Reaction score
Glad you're on track. Been playing for years, some competitively, and still can't get enough. Welcome to a world of pleasure and frustration that will be with you for a lifetime.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hit the range a few times this week after work. Seven iron = dialed in swing. Still dodgy with my hybrid, so taking the four of out my practice bag and putting in the six, as I figure it should be easier to hit. Driver still iffy but those "ahhhh," shots are getting more common.

18 tomorrow.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the round.

Haven't played golf in 2 weeks. Gonna get back out there next weeked.

Dburr

Reaction score
As predicted, Tiger picked for the Ryder Team.
Tiger is not the most controversial captain's pick.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr
Tiger is not the most controversial captain's pick.

Scroll back several pages. My call that he'd get picked certainly met with some resistance.

Dburr

Reaction score
Scroll back several pages. My call that he'd get picked certainly met with some resistance.
I think the issue was whether Pavin would make the pick or would the PGA pressure him to choose Woods. I believe this to be Pavin's nod, but it's really a no-brainer. How could you not pick the #1 player in the world? Rickie Fowler? Now that's controversial!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think the issue was whether Pavin would make the pick or would the PGA pressure him to choose Woods. I believe this to be Pavin's nod, but it's really a no-brainer. How could you not pick the #1 player in the world? Rickie Fowler? Now that's controversial!
Ah yes, here was your post disagreeing with me:
I respectfully disagree with the Pio on this one. The Ryder Cup attracts far more than hard core golf fans Anyone who's been around golf for even a short time knows that the Ryder Cup is bigger than any of the majors, and has been for years. For Pavin to pick Woods at this point would be as big a blunder as Hal Sutton made in 2004 when he paired Tiger and Phil and they got drubbed big time. This is the biggest event in golf. To pick Woods for a so called ratings increase would smack of a madness that cannot be tolerated in the last gentleman's sport left. I've counted a considerable number of PGA and Championship tour players as friends over the years (and know Corey Pavin as a casual acquaintance) and I can tell you that to the man, making the Ryder Cup Team is /was even more important than winning a major. It's a big, big deal. I hope Cory does the right thing.
Now, I'm a golf noob but have been paying attention to things like the FedEx playoffs and watching the latest events. How could you not pick the current #1? Well, since that ranking is determined on a rolling two year period. Tiger is not the Tiger of two years ago. Hell, he's not the Tiger of one year ago. In the above, you certainly seem to be making the case picking Tiger would not be the wisest thing. The bolded makes it quite clear you think picking Tiger would be a mistake. I guess you've changed your mind? So you seem to be saying that Pavin would "do the right thing" and disregard ratings. I have to think picking Tiger is certainly not about his current ability to play golf. If you want to attribute the pick to something else, fine, just please don't attribute it to the current state of Tiger's game. Maybe he'll pull things together; he's certainly improved over the last few months. I don't know. You make some good (if maybe conflicting) points but I think it's fair to say that surely, the current state of Tiger's game could not be the sole reason he got the nod. YMMV.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am potentially dreaming here, but I am wishing for a Sunday singels match-up with Fowler and McIlroy at the Ryder Cup. This would blow my mind.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I am potentially dreaming here, but I am wishing for a Sunday singels match-up with Fowler and McIlroy at the Ryder Cup. This would blow my mind.

The two young turks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads