• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was this IWC watch a fake? (ebay)

Benscha

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_9041wt_1141

So this is the watch. It ended at 670 bucks and made me very concerned due to the low price. Normally a IWC watch goes for atleast a thousand and then it is often i poor quality aswell.

I Love the watch. And was ready to pay up for it and have it for a life-time, if the seller wasn't from South Korea and no box/papers were included.

So What do you think and what is your tips when buying a vintage watch on the line?

Cheers

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt that the makers of "replica" are going after that vintage of IWC. I have two IWC's purchased for less than $1000 on eBay ... and both are true IWC.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benscha
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_9041wt_1141

So What do you think and what is your tips when buying a vintage watch on the line?

Cheers

Rule #1- buy the seller. This guy has a lot of positive feedback. That's a good thing. But, I didn't look to see what other items he has sold, so it could be he sells cat litter and has a watch for sale.Good sellers of fine vintage watches are worth a premium over people who you can't verify their bona fides.

Rule #2- make sure you know what you are buying. This watch has a very robust IWC automatic in-house movement that was the workhorse of the IWC line, used in almost all of its automatics for decades, including Ingenieurs and Aquatimers. But, it also is a redial. That means that the original dial was in bad condition (or didn't look good) and was replaced with a new non-IWC dial painted by someone who may or may not be very good. Sometimes redials look like crap for the script IWC Schaffausen. Sometimes they look very good. Sometimes they can be factory redials, which usually mean NOS dials that should have gone with the watch to begin with. The case is also legit and original based upon the samping in the picture.

Rule #3- see rule #1

aragon765

Reaction score
I hope its not - it is beautiful!

Also, the seller has quite a high number of vintage watch sales, and "100%" feedback (fwiw). Of course, I say that without enough knowledge to make a comment on that particular watch.

But please post up your experience when you receive the watch, as that seller has a lot of nice stock, and I have been looking for a vintage piece!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price doesn't seem that low considering it's a redial and has a plated case.

KPaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I doubt that the makers of "replica" are going after that vintage of IWC. I have two IWC's purchased for less than $1000 on eBay ... and both are true IWC.

Actually you can get vintage replicas and I think of that exact model. However, to my amateur eye (and as a former IWC owner), that one looks to be authentic. As pointed out though, it has had a re-dial but the work is v good. I've often thought of travelling down the vintage road as there are some wonderful value and beautiful watches out there. However, I seem to have tied myself up in a small collection of more contemporary jobbies.

Suave

Reaction score
looks legit + dude has 555 100% positive feedback.

i'd trust it

(a little late now though, huh lol)

Benscha

Reaction score
Thank you for all your answers. I now regret that i didn't bid on it. I think it is a beautiful watch!

But I will take your information with me next time i search for a IWC watch online.

So what do you think the watchs' retail price would be? Am I wrong when I am guessing that the watch sold for 670 dollar here would have costed more than 3-4 grand when it was new?

Benscha

Reaction score
What do you mean? All the watches sold today by IWC is 1000+ dollar pieces. Why do you think it would be so cheap when it was new?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Belligero
Price doesn't seem that low considering it's a redial and has a plated case.

+1

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benscha
What do you mean? All the watches sold today by IWC is 1000+ dollar pieces. Why do you think it would be so cheap when it was new?

Because it's on the order of 40 years old.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Rule #1- buy the seller. This guy has a lot of positive feedback. That's a good thing. But, I didn't look to see what other items he has sold, so it could be he sells cat litter and has a watch for sale.Good sellers of fine vintage watches are worth a premium over people who you can't verify their bona fides.

Rule #2- make sure you know what you are buying. This watch has a very robust IWC automatic in-house movement that was the workhorse of the IWC line, used in almost all of its automatics for decades, including Ingenieurs and Aquatimers. But, it also is a redial. That means that the original dial was in bad condition (or didn't look good) and was replaced with a new non-IWC dial painted by someone who may or may not be very good. Sometimes redials look like crap for the script IWC Schaffausen. Sometimes they look very good. Sometimes they can be factory redials, which usually mean NOS dials that should have gone with the watch to begin with. The case is also legit and original based upon the samping in the picture.

Rule #3- see rule #1

+1

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
I think it's significantly older than that - I think that IWC used the 853 in the late fifties and early sixties.

/M

Probably more than 40, I think IWC stopped using the full name in the 60s, but maybe not too much more than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads