• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
As long as we're taking shots at Presidents, I've never seen W look so old.

And, one of the problems with getting more people to ride bikes is the false assumption that you need to be tricked out in some spandex or a full kit. I think Obama's everyday clothing get up serves bicycling purposes just fine.

GWB's wearing mountain bike specific pearl izumi shorts, and I assume the shirt he's wearing is made from some sweat-wicking synthetic fabric. and in the other picture he wears sidi dominators (mtb shoes) so he knows what he's wearing and if he's on a trail its always best to wear trail specific clothes and shoes.

about obama.. first off he's wearing jeans (and lets no go into his wearing daddy jeans lol)... even for a regular commute or just going out to get a six pack, you can snag your jeans in the crank or chain.

fffffut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fffffut
whatchu know about abici?
i found one on cl that i really like, but im not sure if its worth what hes asking
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/bik/1850089321.html

anyone?
id love to get this bike but im not finding a lot out from google
if youre too lazy to click
3n03k63ob5Z65U55P3a7i8f130f8e573f10d1.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fffffut
anyone?

I know nothing about abici other than they went out of business several years ago.
That seems like a lot to pay for a several year old bike from an out of business company.
Of course there's almost no useful information in the ad either so who can really tell.

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
GWB's wearing mountain bike specific pearl izumi shorts, and I assume the shirt he's wearing is made from some sweat-wicking synthetic fabric. and in the other picture he wears sidi dominators (mtb shoes) so he knows what he's wearing and if he's on a trail its always best to wear trail specific clothes and shoes.

about obama.. first off he's wearing jeans (and lets no go into his wearing daddy jeans lol)... even for a regular commute or just going out to get a six pack, you can snag your jeans in the crank or chain.

I don't know. A billion chinese can't be wrong:

bike-beijing.jpg

Everytime I see these international bicycle scenes people are just wearing normal stuff. Dress up dress down, whatever, but just get there in a bike. No worries about getting your chain caught or helmets or the kind of things that (i think) keep bicycling down in this country.

Wouldn't it be great for the environment if people would just get on their bikes to just do regular stuff. Not to mention for people's waistlines in this country.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Yes. I've been commuting by bike all my life and have mostly worn jeans. There is a modern myth that if you don't ride carbon and don't wear spandex, you're not a real cyclist.
As long as people get on bikes, I could care less what they wear, what they ride and how they do it.

mondayc

Reaction score
+1 An entry-level hybrid is better than nothing. Besides, I think it would be dumb if he bought a $6,500 custom Parlee just to attach the trail-a-bike and ride 14mph down the MUP.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know. A billion chinese can't be wrong:

bike-beijing.jpg

Everytime I see these international bicycle scenes people are just wearing normal stuff. Dress up dress down, whatever, but just get there in a bike. No worries about getting your chain caught or helmets or the kind of things that (i think) keep bicycling down in this country.

Wouldn't it be great for the environment if people would just get on their bikes to just do regular stuff. Not to mention for people's waistlines in this country.

oh, I guess I failed to explain my point... gwb's wearing mtb specific stuff because he is doing mountain biking, and ordinary clothes won't work in that environment. commuting is another thing, and yes, wearing trousers would work on those (though I did snag my jeans once while riding my bike, and there is a good possibility of chain oil staining my pants)

SUPER K

Reaction score
fffffut;3536139 said:
anyone?
[/QUOTE

Search on Slowtwitch and other tri sites

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's my commuter that i used throughout the summer. simple upright hybrid/city bike.

4970159776_cb9244e60d_b.jpg

NYC has some great bike lanes now... i'd always noticed how so many new lanes pop up when ever i'm walking/driving around... walked into a bike shop in soho and then picked up a free bikemap (saw all the new lanes) and called my wife and bought some new bikes.

with the expanding bike lanes everywhere manhattan (and especially brooklyn) is very easy and very very FAST to get around (even if you follow all the rules and stop on red lights/stop signs and are totally safe/careful). i needed to pick something up in EMS soho and decided to just bike it from east williamsburg... it took 18min (taking the L train and transferring to N/R takes around 30+).

my wife and I biked to prospect park it took 30min on the bike lanes which were so easy to follow.

the only thing i hate is having to bring a heavy kryptonite lock and chain. but people steal anything, from cheap bikes to whatever. also i always wear a helmet... just last week these two lesbian hipsters walked into the ER and one had a fractured skull... she lifted up her ironic cowboy hat and her brain was peaking through.. oh yeah there's having to use a bell too... its lame but totally useful.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
4970159776_cb9244e60d_b.jpg

nice gary fishers...

also agree on the helmet thing... I'd probably be dead last Christmas day if it weren't for my helmet, and I wasn't even going fast when I fell and fractured my temporal bone and damaged my nerve vii. also, if possible I strongly suggest getting a helmet with a decent rear coverage- it definitely helps.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Commuter bikes have chainguards.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Commuter bikes have chainguards.

Not all of them. Look at the gentleman's Gary Fisher above. I would consider this a commuter bike but it has no chainguard.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for an entry level (rear) pannier that actually looks nice. I suppose it shouldn't matter, but if it weren't black, that'd be nice for a change too.

b

YuppieSkuppie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
suggest a first bike for me. only learned to ride last year. will spend $400 max.

I'm trying to resist looking up clothes purchases you've talked about here. $400 for a complicated piece of machinery is ridiculous. In SF terms it's like buying a suit from Wal-Mart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics