• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Again, not saying I have a theory or know what is happening. I am just saying that people jump to conclusions that are not necessarily supported by pictures taken by a bunch of guys with a Canon S90 and a forum membership.
yeah, I hear what you are saying - that we don't know for sure if Alden is worse b/c forums and digital camera didn't exist 20 years ago. but, I have trouble believing that only Alden has been a victim of this new 'scrutiny' - I have not seen people post about problems with other equivalent brands, but clearly these people have cameras and post on forums too. basically - why is that that we only see lots of posts about Alden QC problems? if you can't find an explanation, I would tend to believe the simplest possible reason, which is that Aldens have more problems

joz411no

Reaction score
I'm almost ambiguous about it. At the same time with about 9 or 10 pair, myself, I'm wondering if there is something I looked beyond before wearing them. I've noticed small imperfections but in only one instance did I need to return a pair. Comparatively speaking I have 9 pair of Allen Edmonds, and only 1 pair each of CT's, Bally's and Florsheims. I've noticed small irregularities (eyelets off-center from the grommet, etc.) in my AE's as well. In my deduction the irregularities I've found are based heavily on how many items I've purchased as opposed to any one company's blatant disregard for quality.

I work in a job where our QA/QC is very heavily depended on. Do they make mistakes? Yes. At the same time, those loafers are shameful. But I'm not ready to give up on Alden yet.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
basically - why is that that we only see lots of posts about Alden QC problems? if you can't find an explanation, I would tend to believe the simplest possible reason, which is that Aldens have more problems
Well this is the Alden thread so that explains that side of things.

The other explanation I have is what is considered a lot. When there is a post and it gets a lot of attention and the same people saying "LOOK! Alden has a QC problem!!!" orgasm after the previous posts then it may make it look like there is a bigger issue than there really is.

I would also like to point out that a lot of the posts contained things like "When I pay $400 for a pair of shoes I do not expect this to happen!" which could add to the comments. Maybe the people buying CJ are not as concerned about the price or are in a different social group and act differently. There are a lot of unknowns here but most are not as sensational as "OMG! Look at the thread on my shoe! Alden has a QC problem!"

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Well this is the Alden thread so that explains that side of things. The other explanation I have is what is considered a lot. When there is a post and it gets a lot of attention and the same people saying "LOOK! Alden has a QC problem!!!" orgasm after the previous posts then it may make it look like there is a bigger issue than there really is. I would also like to point out that a lot of the posts contained things like "When I pay $400 for a pair of shoes I do not expect this to happen!" which could add to the comments. Maybe the people buying CJ are not as concerned about the price or are in a different social group and act differently. There are a lot of unknowns here but most are not as sensational as "OMG! Look at the thread on my shoe! Alden has a QC problem!"
Alden does have a QC problem. Debate the size of it, but there's been too many examples of shoddy shoes shown here- problems that are easily noticeable to the untrained eye, nevermind someone whose job it is. As for people that buy other shoes having different social groups, I don't know about that. I have as many CJ as I do Aldens, haven't experienced and quality control issues with CJ however. People are more than 10 times likely to complain about something than to extol its virtues, though, so complaints always look overblown on forums, etc. I would say this is the most likely reason. My prediction: The QC issues are a slow leak- a) the person doing the job possibly stopped giving a **** and b) given the popularity of Alden in more mainstream stores they're probably under pressure to deliver a larger quantity than they're used to. If you have a quota and you need to ship that shoddy shoe to make it, you ship it. As it seems to be a very "community oriented" factory I think the QC guy probably knows the assembly people and would feel bad for rejecting their craftsmanship, particularly if they're going to grab a beer after work. Just a guess though.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
Alden does have a QC problem. Debate the size of it, but there's been too many examples of shoddy shoes shown here- problems that are easily noticeable to the untrained eye, nevermind someone whose job it is.

As for people that buy other shoes having different social groups, I don't know about that. I have as many CJ as I do Aldens, haven't experienced and quality control issues with CJ however.

People are more than 10 times likely to complain about something than to extol its virtues, though, so complaints always look overblown on forums, etc. I would say this is the most likely reason.

My prediction: The QC issues are a slow leak- a) the person doing the job possibly stopped giving a **** and b) given the popularity of Alden in more mainstream stores they're probably under pressure to deliver a larger quantity than they're used to. If you have a quota and you need to ship that shoddy shoe to make it, you ship it. As it seems to be a very "community oriented" factory I think the QC guy probably knows the assembly people and would feel bad for rejecting their craftsmanship, particularly if they're going to grab a beer after work. Just a guess though.

spam[1].gif
I knew you would show up for your favorite topic.

I do not care what you think.
musicboohoo[1].gif

GreatHighway

Reaction score
oh man... i just think the post should read like this, or something like it: "Hey guys, check this out. Blah blah blah, defect *pic of defect insert*. Blah blah blah, i ended up getting it fixed, heres a pic *pic of fixed shoe*, be careful it could happen to you like it did to me but be like me and get it fixed."

is that too much to ask? as opposed to "wah wah wah im a big baby. does this make you cry too? wah wah. what ever will i do? damn alden."

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's wrong with posting pics of defects? ****, what else should we do? Just slobber over Alden's nuts on every post when there are problems with the shoes we're receiving?

That being said though, **** trying to speculate what the QC problems are, if there are actual QC problems, or comparing them to C&Js or some other brands. If you've personally had a QC problem with Aldens and have a big enough problem with it, just stop buying them, or at least buy them in person or with retailers with generous return policies.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
spam[1].gif
I knew you would show up for your favorite topic. I do not care what you think.
musicboohoo[1].gif

You're my favorite stalker. Greathighway, couldn't agree more. I can see how people get disappointed and want to vent though. Just make sure you buy them from a reputable source like Tom and send them back.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
What's wrong with posting pics of defects? ****, what else should we do? Just slobber over Alden's nuts on every post when there are problems with the shoes we're receiving?

That being said though, **** trying to speculate what the QC problems are, if there are actual QC problems, or comparing them to C&Js or some other brands. If you've personally had a QC problem with Aldens and have a big enough problem with it, just stop buying them, or at least buy them in person or with retailers with generous return policies.

There's nothing wrong with posting pics of defects. What I'm saying is post the defect but then post the steps you took to have it resolved. So far there has been zero of that; there is just complaining. My 9 pairs have some flaws but have you heard a single thing about them from me? Don't just be a whistle-blower, try to also be a problem-solver.
Originally Posted by sockpuppets;
Greathighway, couldn't agree more. I can see how people get disappointed and want to vent though. Just make sure you buy them from a reputable source like Tom and send them back.

True. I guess you could say I'm venting about how I'm not big on venting lol what a paradox.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're my favorite stalker.
I was responding to a post where you were responding to me.
facepalm.gif

Not sure why you think that is stalking but by all means when someone comes into your place of employment and responds "no" to your question of "Would you like fries with that?" feel free to think they are stalking you.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
spam[1].gif
I knew you would show up for your favorite topic.

lol8[1].gif

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I was responding to a post where you were responding to me.
facepalm.gif

Not sure why you think that is stalking but by all means when someone comes into your place of employment and responds "no" to your question of "Would you like fries with that?" feel free to think they are stalking you.

You work for the "The official Alden thread - supported by Leather Soul?"

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alden does have a QC problem. Debate the size of it, but there's been too many examples of shoddy shoes shown here- problems that are easily noticeable to the untrained eye, nevermind someone whose job it is.

As for people that buy other shoes having different social groups, I don't know about that. I have as many CJ as I do Aldens, haven't experienced and quality control issues with CJ however.

People are more than 10 times likely to complain about something than to extol its virtues, though, so complaints always look overblown on forums, etc. I would say this is the most likely reason.

My prediction: The QC issues are a slow leak- a) the person doing the job possibly stopped giving a **** and b) given the popularity of Alden in more mainstream stores they're probably under pressure to deliver a larger quantity than they're used to. If you have a quota and you need to ship that shoddy shoe to make it, you ship it. As it seems to be a very "community oriented" factory I think the QC guy probably knows the assembly people and would feel bad for rejecting their craftsmanship, particularly if they're going to grab a beer after work. Just a guess though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I will say though that 100% of the shoes I've returned due to defects have been Alden.
Of course that's just one pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads