• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you be comfortable dating a woman who made significantly more money than you?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is one of those things that will only be an issue if you choose to make it an issue. If you are insecure about it, that'll obviously manifest itself, which will -- ironically enough -- get her to thinking about your inadequacies as a man or as an earner. At which point, your paranoia has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just be cool with it, enjoy it, and it'll be smooth sailing. Just make sure she doesn't expect to play the totally "female" role in the relationship and be constantly wined and dined on your dime.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is her income related to the sale of spirits and fine wines?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
I figured I'd be more settled and successful in my career at this point of life.

If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone else in today's generation is in the same boat. Except for, like, big time traders or something. Generations Y and younger got bent over the table and fucked repeatedly by the Baby Boomers. Up the ass. With neither lube nor a courtesy reach-around.

Just keep the perspective in mind that everyone is fucked, not just you. That's what I tell myself whenever I start freaking out about how much less successful I am at 30 than my father or grandfather were. The opportunities just aren't here like they used to be. Unless you get extremely lucky or start a successful business or something.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Am about to marry someone who has made significantly more than me for the last decade.

Congrats!

As for a spouse who earns more, it's worked well for me for a long time. What you need is a reliable and equal partner in life, and the most important things are not about money.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Comfortable? I'd be damn excited.

could have not said it better!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
What you need is a reliable and equal partner in life, and the most important things are not about money.
Truth. I honestly couldn't imagine being with someone with whom money was such a big issue. Or rather, I couldn't imaginable being comfortable with someone if I was so insecure about such trivial things. OP needs to let go of his insecurity and realize that this is nearly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was married for about 20 years. For the first 12-13 years I made more. For the last 7-8 years my ex-wife made more money than me. In some years nearly double.

I'm currently dating a woman that makes (probably) at least as much as I do and I wouldn't be surprised if she made significantly more. We haven't exchanged financial information as yet, so I can't be sure. However I am certain that she doesn't make substantially less than me.

Obviously I have no problem with it.

On the downside, the increase in income by women has been cited in recent studies as a significant cause in the increase in the divorce rate. In short, when she no longer is financially obliged to put up with your ****, she no longer will.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would love if Mrs. Piob make double or triple what I do. I've always said her only flaw was that she was not a millionaire heiress. FWIW, there were two years where she made as much or more than me, a long time ago when I was in grad school. Caused zero problems. Now, however, I keep telling her I'd like to be a house husband. This makes her say hateful things, like I'd have to get rid of my current vehicle and drive a Yaris, stop buying wine, etc. Totally unreasonable!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This makes her say hateful things, like I'd have to get rid of my current vehicle and drive a Yaris, stop buying wine, etc. Totally unreasonable!
butbut.gif
cry.gif
How dare she!!!?!?!? That's not even funny to joak about.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
butbut.gif
cry.gif
How dare she!!!?!?!? That's not even funny to joak about.

I bet she didn't seem that mean, did she?
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads