• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a day pack

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a good day pack for hiking/biking/skiing type activities?

I used to have one made by Camelbak that was pretty good and I would like to replace this (but maybe go a little bigger).

Features I think I want are:
-hydration (something removable as I don't always want the bladder)\\
-waist strap for stability, maybe the chest buckle too.
-some form of compression to hold the load in place.
-on the high end of the 10-20L capacity range (I think this is a good size...but it is hard to visualize...maybe 25L is better, especially if it is very collapsible).

I looked at a few north face ones but I feel like I am paying a hefty premium for the north face name...
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=AA2
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w..._vc=CrossSells

I also looked at a few camelbak models and liked this one
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...0-hawg-nv.aspx
But there I am wondering if they are getting marked at a premium because they came up with the water bladder system even though other people can make better bags for less.

I don't need the newest, greatest thing...last years models and closeouts are fine as I'd prefer to save some $$$ and this isn't exactly a daily (or even weekly) use item.

limester816

Reaction score
Skiing daypacks are different than hiking/biking daypacks... You could get something like this that could maybe suffice for all of those activities: http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-pa...1200-1400cu-in There's also a 30L. Things are so specialized these days, but if you need one for all of those things then I would get a skiing pack because not all daypacks can hold skiis-- but all skiing packs can hold bladders, clothes, etc... I would say that the camelbak is overpriced. You DO get a bladder, but there are better deals to have (I have a similar camelbak that ripped after one fall on my mountain bike). Those North Face packs can't hold ski's...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
Skiing daypacks are different than hiking/biking daypacks...

You could get something like this that could maybe suffice for all of those activities:

http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-pa...1200-1400cu-in

There's also a 30L.

Things are so specialized these days, but if you need one for all of those things then I would get a skiing pack because not all daypacks can hold skiis-- but all skiing packs can hold bladders, clothes, etc...

I have no desire to hold skis, just have a smaller pack to hold things like snacks/extra layers/etc while skiing.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although thanks for the Osprey suggestion

Now I have also looked at the
talon 11 (also available in 22L) and the
raptor 10 (also in 14L and 18L)

I might have to find a store in chicago that carries these so I can get a feeling for what size I really want...I like the look of the talon 11 but it might be a pinch too small.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have a specific recommendation, but I will second Osprey packs, which always seemed highly recommended when I was looking. Bought one myself and have no complaints, though I unfortunately haven't had that many opportunities to use it yet.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
For scrambling I love the REI Flash 18.

Unfortunately I would prefer zippers/pockets and all that fun stuff. Like the price point though
smile.gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
How are these? I've heard great things, but they're not common, I don't know anyone with one. Good climbing pack?

I borrow my friends one often and it is brilliant. Definitely on my list before my next big trip.

KenN

Reaction score
Arc'Teryx Cierzo 35. The 18L version is good too.
It is very simple and light, and can be collapsed into its own pockets.

limester816

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Arc'Teryx Cierzo 35. The 18L version is good too.
It is very simple and light, and can be collapsed into its own pockets.

I've used this. Very basic pack with no real padding (why would you ever need to collapse your backpack into itself?). On long treks your back gets super sweaty. If you're going Arcteryx I recommend the Axios 35. It looks cooler, anyway.

Axios-35-Lichen.png

Might be a bit big for what you're looking for, but I like mine because you can compress it to however small you want it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like TNF personally. If you go skiing a lot I'd take a look at the Camelbaks for backcountry. The water bag and tube are insulated from freezing (also keeps the water cold in the summer). I have the Hellion and it's pretty good. Has plenty of pockets, zippers, straps, etc (all that does add some weight).
BK.jpg
For lightweight day hikes, I use those nylon gym sacks that look like grocery bags. Can use the loop as shoulder straps and you have like a 2 oz bag that can carry a couple liters of water, snacks, shell. Bonus is that companies and vendors like to give these out as swag so it costs nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads