• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I just got a sample of this while visiting a store. I put on a few dabs. I'm not really that familiar with the whole world of ouds, and my only previous experience was with Montale's Black Out which I just loved and bought a bottle of. So not much means to compare it to. I think it was quite nice but I need a full wearing to really judge this stuff. I find many L'Artisan's smell good off a stick or a dab but after a full wearing they're generally somewhat disappointing. I'll let you know once I do a full wearing later in the winter.
I'll look forward to it. The Ouds just don't do well in this blistering heat so I haven't even bothered with mine yet. Montale's Black Oud made me smell like a french whore sitting on top of a bag of mulch. The red kind, not the brown.
Originally Posted by willpower
I like Colonia Intensa. Of the line, I find it the most interesting and the longest lasting. It's darker - a cedar, orange rind, and leathery mix that's easy to wear and is very suited to the cooler days ahead. While it doesn't smell like Rose 31, it shares the same dry character. If you don't want a full bottle, you can buy the 2x15ml travel set and trade or sell the extra bottle.
Hmm. Never really thought of them as being similar but I suppose I can see it. MC - if you want to split the travel set let me know.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody have a Montale Aoud they aren't liking or want to send my way? I've used all of mine and am missing them, but don't want one enough to buy a full bottle. If so, send me a PM. Decant, sample, partial, anything is okay... and something priced reasonably (haha).
wink.gif
Thanks! p.s. SOTD is JHL.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Hey everyone, I have a 98% full 75ml bottle of Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey that I'd like to sell. Looking for $20.
Perhaps it is my fault for mentioning above that I wanted to buy some Aoud, but this isn't the thread to list your sales items. There is a sales forum for that, and it is best listed there. http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28 If this becomes a "hey, buy my bottle" it will become a mess and virtually unusable. My SOTD is Eau de Lalique; have to teach a seminar this morning and don't want to frighten the new students too badly.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am continuing on my 'empty a bottle this year' kick and went with Sushi Imperiale again.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Le Labo Rose 31 today.

(Hoping there's no sexual double entendre for Rambo to notice on this one!)

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Le Labo Rose 31 today.

Me too. Love that one.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rach - I hear that if you order Montale's from the middle east they're much cheaper, plus I also hear they can/will bump up the concentration levels if asked. IIRC you can get a 100ml plus a free 20ml set for somewhere around $120?

over at BN's, someone was just posting about a random jewelery shop with an online store that sells the Montale's at a good price. Just thought I'd mention.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Erm........I'll have to work on this one.

boo

Reaction score
Viktor & Rolf Antidote today

Originally Posted by Rambo
How'd you like the Al'Oud? I haven't gotten around to my sample yet.

What do you think of this one?

Since when are they cracking down on decants?

Decided to give Chanel Platinum Egoiste another try today. Not bad but nothing special. Sort of smells like a classed up version of Live Jazz which isn't necessarily a good thing.

It was about a few months back that Bond demanded via Twitter that perfumedcourt stop selling decants, and they disappeared from the perfumedcourt website a month or so later. Also, I had a bunch of Bond decants listed on eBay but they ended up getting taken down due to "trademark infringement" complaints from Bond. There's a long thread on basenotes about it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
It was about a few months back that Bond demanded via Twitter that perfumedcourt stop selling decants, and they disappeared from the perfumedcourt website a month or so later. Also, I had a bunch of Bond decants listed on eBay but they ended up getting taken down due to "trademark infringement" complaints from Bond. There's a long thread on basenotes about it.
Thanks for that. How can they keep you from reselling your own personal stash?

boo

Reaction score

eBay offers you a chance to challenge the removal, but I'm not exactly making enough on it to mount a legal challenge. I'm tempted to relist with receipt pics to see if it would make a difference.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Rach - I hear that if you order Montale's from the middle east they're much cheaper, plus I also hear they can/will bump up the concentration levels if asked. IIRC you can get a 100ml plus a free 20ml set for somewhere around $120? over at BN's, someone was just posting about a random jewelery shop with an online store that sells the Montale's at a good price. Just thought I'd mention.
That's a good price; I know you can request alternate concentrations in Paris as well. I wasn't really wanting a whole bottle, as I've had many of them (went through a big Montale phase 3-4 years ago), so I just figured I'd see if anybody had some they didn't want. I wasn't really into them enough to warrant buying new/full bottles, but sort of wanted to revisit a few of the Aouds. I may do a bit of perusing, though, and see if I have any students/former students back in Arab realms who might do a proxy (haha). To Boo above, I never could get into Antidote. I love Flowerbomb, but Antidote just seemed like a blended, muted mess. They put so many notes in there (hundreds of them!) that it seemed like putting all 100 colors of paint in the box together, turning out some sort of puddy brown. Nothing really came up to the surface for me, nothing distinctive, just sort of... sweetish, warmish, never getting beyond "ish." Just my two cents, of course. Among sweetish, warmish scents, I found it to be in the same universe as Guerlain L'instant PH, which I liked infinitely better (I know T and I will disagree about the merits of L'instant PH!)

Jacob_G

Reaction score
I like this too; I'm surprised it doesn't get more appreciation. It's youthful and vibrant, but it's still classic. Have you tried Kiton Napoli?

I'm giving the Delicious Closet Queen another try today. (The fragrance, I mean.) I'm liking it better, but still not a big fan.

No not yet but I will.
thanks

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Bond's point is twofold: 1) samples ought to be free and, b) once it's out of their hands, there's no quality control any longer. I respect these viewpoints - and if this were the end of Bond's strong-arm tactics then I'd leave it alone. But it's not.

Bond has also threatened action against another company for using the word "Peace" in their name. Again, trademark infringement. There are other instances which don't come to mind at the moment but they are a surprisingly prickly company. For this baggage alone, I decided I wasn't going to bother with the line at all, and even got rid of the samples I had.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
(...)
Just my two cents, of course. Among sweetish, warmish scents, I found it to be in the same universe as Guerlain L'instant PH, which I liked infinitely better (I know T and I will disagree about the merits of L'instant PH!)

Heh, funny how time flies. I have two bottles of L'Instant now.

Speaking of Guerlains, I'm wearing Pampelune now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads