• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White shirt critique requested - lay it on me

grenadierow

Reaction score
Hello all, My first post to SF. Shopping today for a classic white shirt for my suit. I'm over 6 feet and obviously very slim, 170 lbs. 196 cm and 75 kg or so to you metric folks. My suit jacket is fairly slim fitting so I'm looking for an appropriately slim shirt with long enough sleeves for me. This is one of the best I found today . . . what do you think? I'm particularly interested in your opinions on a) sleeve length (I know the picture is not ideal) b) what is going on with those collar points? Will they 'sit down' against the shirt after a wash & iron? c) generally, lay it on me. I haven't bought the shirt yet . . . I don't know what's going on with the stupid posture. It's different than my normal stupid posture. Shirt is Joop slim fit, european size 40. Regards and thanks for the input.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didnt know Joop! was still around... I should break out that cologne for memories sake.

The shirt fits you pretty good - the collar points are rising a bit, dont know if thats because of your pose or because its too tight in the neck. Does it have collar stays in? All in all, not bad.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks good but is the shirt too short?

grenadierow

Reaction score
@ SpooPoker - thanks for the early feedback. Yes, the stays are in the collar. I couldn't figure out why the collar was doing this and thought it might be because of the way it was pressed or something . . . I don't think the collar was too tight. Maybe I'll come back and try another shirt to see if it was just something goofy going on.

@ DragonB - I wasn't too worried about the length - unless you are referring to the sleeves. I should tuck it in when I try it on again to be sure - thanks.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to fit well to me but it is a tad short and may come untucked easily.

GBer

Reaction score
Tough to say since it's so wrinkled. Is the right sleeve pulled down all the way? Or is the wrinkle pulling it up a bit?

grenadierow

Reaction score
I think the wrinkle might be pulling it up a bit. But not a whole bunch I don't think.

iheartangels

Reaction score
I think the sleeves are a touch too short. Plus, it will probably shrink 1/4".

grenadierow

Reaction score
Absolutely useful and constructive observations. Thanks very much to all.

I had not even got far enough to consider shrinkage - thanks for pointing that out.

I will not buy this shirt. I am going to pursue a made to measure option in the city instead.

Interesting that nobody has commented on the collar not lying flat against the shirt. I'm still not sure the cause of the problem but won't worry about it for now.

Thanks!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grenadierow
Interesting that nobody has commented on the collar not lying flat against the shirt.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The shirt fits you pretty good - the collar points are rising a bit, dont know if thats because of your pose or because its too tight in the neck. Does it have collar stays in? All in all, not bad.

confused.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think this shirt looks good on you. You have a long neck, so you need a higher collar to compensate for it. But that's just me being picky... Are you sure the collar isn't a size too large?

grenadierow

Reaction score
@ SpooPoker - Sorry, my bad. I remember reading and thinking about this comment but forgot about it when writing that reply. Sorry!

@ acecow - I don't think the collar is a size too large. And your comment of me possibly trying a higher collar is something I have heard once before and will think about some more now. One question about that though - doesn't getting a higher collar mean that more collar will show at the back of the neck above the suit jacket? Or are collars shaped in a way that avoids this problem? The reason I ask is because I think I'm already on the verge of showing too much collar at the back of the jacket as it is.

Best,

K

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get a higher collar - more of it will show from underneath the jacket. That's not necessarily too bad, as long as you don't go overboard. Half an inch to an inch is widely accepted. To be sartorially correct you can show more cuff too. It's also possible to raise the collars of the jackets that you have. It's not too expensive of an alteration. It's better to start thinking about it now, before you've acquired too many items.

But then again, I'm very anal when it comes to fit. I suffer from this, as most of my clothing is not ideal to my eye. Therefore, I don't get as much satisfaction as I could have were it not for my anal retentiveness. It's best if you just keep wearing your stuff as it is, since nobody will ever pay attention to this. And the ~0.5% increase in your good looks is not worth all the headache.

Originally Posted by grenadierow
@ SpooPoker - Sorry, my bad. I remember reading and thinking about this comment but forgot about it when writing that reply. Sorry!

@ acecow - I don't think the collar is a size too large. And your comment of me possibly trying a higher collar is something I have heard once before and will think about some more now. One question about that though - doesn't getting a higher collar mean that more collar will show at the back of the neck above the suit jacket? Or are collars shaped in a way that avoids this problem? The reason I ask is because I think I'm already on the verge of showing too much collar at the back of the jacket as it is.

Best,

K

Watchaholic

Reaction score
IMHO the shirt fits well, for a casual shirt.. with jeans perhaps - not really a suit shirt as it were.

Out of interest where are you getting your MTM shirts in Warsaw ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads