• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Glashutte From An AD?

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be going to Wempe in midtown this coming weekend to purchase a GO Senator Chronograph XL, and am wondering how big a discount I can expect?

Luxury Bazaar.com is offering a flat 30% discount. Naturally, I don't expect ADs to match online prices, but should I go in expecting at least a 25% discount to list?

Thanks,
Gramm

Poindexter

Reaction score
Nomos Tangente for me, Spoo, but I feel your pain.

Poinz

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
God, I wish I had these problems. Although I would go for A.Lange & Sohne, but thats just me and my pipe dream.

I would too, but you realize that the cheapest Lange is still 2.5x the price of this GO?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
I would too, but you realize that the cheapest Lange is still 2.5x the price of this GO?

Of course - and by no means am I knocking it. Like I said, I wish I could grab a Glashutte - but my grail watch is AL&S.

BTW - the guys at Wempe can be dicks if you get them the wrong way.. just sayin.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course - and by no means am I knocking it. Like I said, I wish I could grab a Glashutte - but my grail watch is AL&S.

BTW - the guys at Wempe can be dicks if you get them the wrong way.. just sayin.

Mine is too. Would kill for the Zeitwerk in RG. Kill. Anybody.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
I'll be going to Wempe in midtown this coming weekend to purchase a GO Senator Chronograph XL, and am wondering how big a discount I can expect?

Luxury Bazaar.com is offering a flat 30% discount. Naturally, I don't expect ADs to match online prices, but should I go in expecting at least a 25% discount to list?

Thanks,
Gramm

25% minimum. 30% should not be hard, but I don't know about Wempe and discounts. Mostly it's all in how you present it and push for it. If they won't play, you have to walk and find another AD.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
25% minimum. 30% should not be hard, but I don't know about Wempe and discounts. Mostly it's all in how you present it and push for it. If they won't play, you have to walk and find another AD.

Thank you - useful info.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've seen a few GO Senator's pop up on TZ lately. If you don't mind used its a good way to save some cash. Still waiting for a white PanomaticLunar to show up
plain.gif

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should dress well and wear another quality watch or no watch at all going to Wempe. They can be very dismissive of people who don't meet their view of what a high end watch buyer looks like. There was a really good sales guy at Cellini who used to post on TZ and was a competitive cyclist, but I can't remember his name; it's been years since I've been on TZ regularly. If you search TZ archives you might find him and see if he's still working in the industry. Not that he'd break house rules to give a bigger discount, but he's not going to be a dick like some of the other high end salespeople. Good luck. I bought both of my IWCs from recommended ADs over the phone. One offered me a great discount via e-mail. The other was recommended by IWC.it because it was a limited edition watch for the Italian market only. Sometimes certain transactions are easier if the person at the other end isn't making value judgements based upon age and ohter factors. I was only 25 when I bought my Ingenieur and I wasn't treated very well anywhere B&M I went.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll be going after work and intend to wear my JLC Eight-Days, so I should be ok on that front.

Just wanted to make sure that a 25-30% discount from a big-name AD wasn't totally out of the question.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Not sure Wempe is the place to find the best deal among ADs of any watch label. However, in general, I think you can find at least one AD who will come in at a major online discounter's price. That's what I've found looking at Rolex, Omega and IWC and comparing actual prices to authenticwatches.com. In fact, I've usually done a few percent better.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Not sure Wempe is the place to find the best deal among ADs of any watch label. However, in general, I think you can find at least one AD who will come in at a major online discounter's price. That's what I've found looking at Rolex, Omega and IWC and comparing actual prices to authenticwatches.com. In fact, I've usually done a few percent better.

Sadly, apart from Tourneau, they are the only GO dealers in NY. Cellini does not carry the brand.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wempe SA's are dicks in general, if you come in with a PP or a Timex.

To put forward my own experience, I have been in there several times to browse Lange's and VC's, and have always been treated very well.

I think it helps if you demonstrate some knowledge right off the bat, rather than act as just another guy browsing at watches (nothing wrong w/ that, but I'm guessing ADs see a ton of those people every day). I typically go in to look at something very specific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads