• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds Seconds Really Seconds?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most AE seconds I see don't have any defects. Also, every model and color seem to be available.
I find that to be a bit odd.
Does AE sell them as seconds as an excuse to discount popular models?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
I thought the production of 2nds were part of AE's marketing plan to get the occasionaly mention from Vox here on teh SF to elevate their brand visibility
eh.gif

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The English manufacturers have used this tactic for years. They marked surplus stocks as seconds to ensure that while the quality is high, and that the customers get a discount, the troubling thought of getting "inferior goods" lingers, thereby encouraging said customers to buy firsts in the future. It's a mind game. Kind of like how some prostitutes in the 1930s offer male virgins "free sample".

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Kind of like how some prostitutes in the 1930s offer male virgins "free sample".

This is not an analogy I would have thought of.

otacon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
The latest theory is that AE seconds are actually thirds and the true seconds are being sold as firsts. The members of AAAC are hoarding the real first for reasons unknown at this time.

They are going to flood the market once they have their first quarterly losses. Just wait.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure the premise makes any sense. If it does, it raises (or should) some troubling questions. If any manufacturer can sell firsts as seconds...and at a price level commensurate with the perception that it's a second...what's the shoe really worth?

zerostyle

Reaction score
I ordered 3 pairs of AE seconds... 2 of them were immaculate - I would never guess they were seconds.

The third pair had terribly distressed leather and was pretty awful.

I guess it's hit or miss.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I'm not sure the premise makes any sense. If it does, it raises (or should) some troubling questions.

If any manufacturer can sell firsts as seconds...and at a price level commensurate with the perception that it's a second...what's the shoe really worth?

It's worth what the market will pay for it, and both the consumer and the manufacturer have a lot of input into the equation. As previously discussed, this is likely nothing more than a clever clearance sale....

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
It's worth what the market will pay for it, and both the consumer and the manufacturer have a lot of input into the equation. As previously discussed, this is likely nothing more than a clever clearance sale....
I agree, they're worth what the customer will pay for them--that's what is known as "fair market value." But that's not the issue I was addressing...every product has a cost of production. Every business has a cost of doing business. Manufacturers typically know, and control, to the last penny how much goes into each pair of shoes. It is one thing to sell off shoes that are imperfect or otherwise flawed to cover the cost of raw materials. In difficult situations, one can even imagine such items being sold at a price that is actually below the cost of raw materials. Taking a one time loss, IOW. It is quite another to sell off "perfect" shoes that represent a minimum dollar value in cost of production--raw materials, the cost of labour, etc.--at a loss. No company can do this and stay in business. Not even on an occasional basis. Understanding this basic business premise calls into question whether the" urban myths" about companies selling firsts as seconds simply to generate happy thoughts among the general populace, can have any basis in reality. But, as I implied in my previous remarks, it also raises the issue of what the shoes are really worth if they are selling firsts...or seconds...at a much reduced price yet still making a profit (even if only a minimal profit).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Most AE seconds I see don't have any defects. Also, every model and color seem to be available.
I find that to be a bit odd.
Does AE sell them as seconds as an excuse to discount popular models?

6gfo7m.jpg

- B

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Thank You!

Congratulations! Please allow me to amplify your joy. Although it is not widely known, I have it on good authority that AE shoes are made with gemming just as Edward Green shoes are made with gemming, but at almost four times the price!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads