• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preventing neck stains

daspianist

Reaction score
I had looked/lurked quite a bit on this issue, and have found many helpful guides here on removing neck stains, but not so much on preventing them in the first place. Granted, the best solution is to not perspire entirely, but are there any after-wear treatments that could help reduce the build up of neck stains?

Thanks!

Larson McCord

Reaction score
waterless hand cleaner works well, treat the collar after you wear it and let it sit at least 24 hours before laundering. Someone posted GOOP I think that is available at Dollar Tree stores.

I got some orange based hand cleaner at Lowes for a couple of bucks and have been using it. It removes stains and I assume it will help with buildup as well.

calvinloke

Reaction score
You just stick cellophane tape around the collar band each time before you wear it.

daspianist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
You just stick cellophane tape around the collar band each time before you wear it.

This is genius!
tinfoil.gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
a dash of talcum powder on the neck works well for me.

the trick is to find a powder that smells okay.

acqua di parma makes a nice one. it is not cheap, but on a per-use basis it's reasonable, and you avoid smelling flowery.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everytime I go the bathroom and wash my hands I also give my neck a quick rinse. This works well with an open collar shirt. If you're wearing a tie a dirty collar to some extent seems inevitable, unfortunately.

Suave

Reaction score
keep the cardboard cutout in when you first buy it

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke

you wimp.
bah, a real man would use duct tape.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Everytime I go the bathroom and wash my hands I also give my neck a quick rinse. This works well with an open collar shirt. If you're wearing a tie a dirty collar to some extent seems inevitable, unfortunately.

do you get your collars dirty when you wear them open collared? I only have problems with shirts that I wear a tie with

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the reason the problem is so prevalent.
there is dust in the air every where.
especially downtown in any city.
it gets mixed with the body oils in the sweat.
and thats not an easy cleaning problem.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
do you get your collars dirty when you wear them open collared? I only have problems with shirts that I wear a tie with

I do a lot of walking plus I often try to wear shirts two times before cleaning just to cut down on the wear and tear of the wash. My method above is almost more pre-emptive than anything, but it seems to work!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my shirts come with a contrast color neck band. This usually keeps the appearance of the collar acceptable. Especially when the color is brown already.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy shirts frequently. Works well for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads