• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden shell cordovan shoelace hole misalignment - is this normal?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Picked up the black Alden 9901s. The shoelace holes on the left shoe were misaligned, but the right shoe was ok. Sent it back. Alden didn't have any more 9901s in my size for two months. So I returned them and exchanged for the 990s (color #8). The 990s had the same issue. Left shoelace holes misaligned. Right shoe ok. In addition, there was some gunk on the heel of the 990s and a dangling string. Are these sorts of things normal for an Alden shell cordovan shoe? The left shoe had shoelace hole issues in both the 9901 and 990 models. See images below. Black 9901.
aldendefect9901.jpg
Color 8 990.
9901.jpg
9902d.jpg
Glue on the heel?
slopn.jpg
Stitching dangling.
string.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why Alden is worth the premium over Allen Edmonds, umm - sorry wrong thread.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The hole alignment looks f*cked up--I would ask for another pair.

The other two things aren't problems.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A face only mother could love.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure those aren't seconds?
lol8[1].gif

You should return them for a pair that are correct.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Are you sure those aren't seconds?
lol8[1].gif
You should return them for a pair that are correct.

I guess I'm getting a little exhausted as this would mark the 2nd return. Maybe I should just get a refund instead. I already returned the black ones for the color 8 burgundy and they had the same issue as the black pair. I'm beginning to think that there is a quality control issue in recent batches of this blucher style. The left shoes in both the black and burgundy had issues.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring this up on the Alden thread in SW&D - the pros are there.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is probably not a misalignment, but an idiosyncrasy of your left foot.

A difference in the foot shape (compared to the last shape) makes, in this case, the outside quarter to sink lower then the inside quarter. In a ‘Blucher’ (Derby) the quarters can shift around like the tectonic plates. This cannot happen with a ‘Balmoral’ (Oxford) because the two quarters are stitched together at the bottom, so they cannot move independent of each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P. S.

When I wrote my answer, I hadn't seen that reply of yours. That just confirms my theory.

Originally Posted by nurktwin
I already returned the black ones for the color 8 burgundy and they had the same issue as the black pair. I'm beginning to think that there is a quality control issue in recent batches of this blucher style. The left shoes in both the black and burgundy had issues.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is probably not a misalignment, but an idiosyncrasy of your left foot. A difference in the foot shape (compared to the last shape) makes, in this case, the outside quarter to sink lower then the inside quarter. In a ‘Blucher’ (Derby) the quarters can shift around like the tectonic plates. This cannot happen with a ‘Balmoral’ (Oxford) because the two quarters are stitched together at the bottom, so they cannot move independent of each other.
The problem with this theory is that I tried a pair of 990s on in a store that carries Alden's in my city (which I didn't buy because the stain was not evenly applied to the shoe). The shoelace holes were aligned properly on the left shoe of that pair in the same model. In contrast, the two Aldens I mail ordered per above photos had the left shoe misalignment issue.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think vie paid more than $100 for a pair of dress shoes in my life and vie never had any of these problems.

I wonder if you shoe fetishists aren't having your strange desires shown up on this thread, lashing out hundreds of dollars for high end shoes and they cant even get basic things right like lace hole alignment and even dye. Have any of you ever read 'The Emperor's New Clothes'?

And this is clearly a factory error and nowt to do with the shape of you feet. How are you gonna have such a distorted misalignment in a brand new shoe when your feet aren't even in them?

cimabue

Reaction score
Must be a strong union shop at Alden. How many of these kinds of slip up are permissible before heads begin to roll?

Also makes me wonder about the "seconds" business model which says, "Whoa, don't throw that out! We can sell it for a good buck as a second." The line between doing it right and good enough gets blurred and pretty soon it's, "We really can do no wrong here."

I say to Alden and all the other shoe makers, scrap your junk and don't let defective products see the light of day outside your factory walls.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My #8 PTBs, left shoe sort of does the same thing but not as pronounced as yours. Funny enough, I exchanged my original pair because of a large blotch on the heel. I'd say it's pretty typical of Alden at this point. I only have 3 pairs of Aldens and they all have issues whether it be a crooked welt, dent in the welt or botchy color. That said, I still like my shoes. As long as the flaw is not terribly bad and has nothing to do with construction, its really a non-issue for me. They're workhorse shoes, not elegant in anyway. In your case though, it seems the eyes are way off at the top, certaily more than mine. I'd see about an exchange.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is probably not a misalignment, but an idiosyncrasy of your left foot.

Uhhh no.

I've seen this many times on bluchers of all types, Aldens up to Crockett and Jones.

See example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110582558696

You are fine to ask for a different pair, but unless you are there to look at them in the store and say "Um, I would like to try yet another pair", you are just as likely to see this misalignment again.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Uhhh no.

I've seen this many times on bluchers of all types, Aldens up to Crockett and Jones.

See example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110582558696

You are fine to ask for a different pair, but unless you are there to look at them in the store and say "Um, I would like to try yet another pair", you are just as likely to see this misalignment again.

It's interesting that two different Alden's had issues with the left shoe only. I wonder if there is a misalignment with their pattern they use to cut the leather on the left shoe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads