• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

choice of dress for an interview

kregg32

Reaction score
My son has an interview for the Homeland Security Boarder Patrol. He said he wanted to wear a suit but I was wondering if that might be a little too much for such a job. I suggested a conservative jacket and pants and no tie. What do you think?

AlmostSmart

Reaction score
Your son can't go wrong wearing a suit, unless the interview has expressed that one is not necessary.

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kregg32
My son has an interview for the Homeland Security Boarder Patrol. He said he wanted to wear a suit but I was wondering if that might be a little too much for such a job. I suggested a conservative jacket and pants and no tie. What do you think?

Such a job?

A conserative suit with tie is totally appropriate, just not black. Try navy or medium grey.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostSmart
Your son can't go wrong wearing a suit, unless the interview has expressed that one is not necessary.

This

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with a suit for an interview unless it is for a burger joint or a gorcery maybe, perhaps he could loose the jacket if need be but I would deffinately go with a tie.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy or grey suit with tie and black/brown leather shoes. End of story.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
I'd suggest that he wear a suit. It doesn't hurt to be the only person who's wearing a suit during the interview process, but it could look bad to be the only guy who's not wearing one.

kregg32

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I will show these to him. I'm not saying any of you are wrong at all but is there no valid argument to overdoing what you wear to an interview? Don't some say dress for the job you are applying for? I once had an interview with a major RR for the switch repair crew. This is just grunt construction-concrete work, jackhammers etc. There were two guys there in suits, I wore some Dockers and a polo shirt, most of the rest wore jeans and whatever. I wondered if the suit guys did the right thing. By "such a job" I meant dress for Boarder Patrol is Glocks, automatic rifles, pepper spray and desert camo clothing. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by AlmostSmart

Originally Posted by dks202
Such a job?

A conserative suit with tie is totally appropriate, just not black. Try navy or medium grey.

Originally Posted by bowtielover
You can never go wrong with a suit for an interview unless it is for a burger joint or a gorcery maybe, perhaps he could loose the jacket if need be but I would deffinately go with a tie.

Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Navy or grey suit with tie and black/brown leather shoes. End of story.

Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
I'd suggest that he wear a suit. It doesn't hurt to be the only person who's wearing a suit during the interview process, but it could look bad to be the only guy who's not wearing one.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I will show these to him. I'm not saying any of you are wrong at all but is there no valid argument to overdoing what you wear to an interview? Don't some say dress for the job you are applying for? I once had an interview with a major RR for the switch repair crew. This is just grunt construction-concrete work, jackhammers etc. There were two guys there in suits, I wore some Dockers and a polo shirt, most of the rest wore jeans and whatever. I wondered if the suit guys did the right thing. By "such a job" I meant dress for Boarder Patrol is Glocks, automatic rifles, pepper spray and desert camo clothing. Thanks again!

I've seen a lot of guys not get decent paying jobs in oil and gas because they were too formally dressed. Sucks for them but it's the truth

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads