• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Brief/Attache Case?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictures make the holes look large but this is a 3/32 punch. I got about 6 stitches per inch. Also, the leather will be darker once it's finished and I think the brown thread adds dimension.

Thanks for the input thus far.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that you're making your own, so props. However, if you can come anywhere near the quality of a good briefcase (which is going to be next to impossible), I'd start selling them. It depends what you want. If you just want something that you made yourself, by all means, go for it. If you want something that screams exceptional quality and craftsmanship, not gonna happen.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that you guys would expect a result that of someone with years of leather working experience. I am humbled.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pics of the bag just about complete. I still have to find the correct size brass rivets to secure the lock hardware (there are brass brads holding it on right now), polish/wax the bag (which will darken the leather and add some depth) and make the PDA/pen holder which will be glued to the inside back.

Best representation of the current color:

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Much nicer than I thought it was going to be from the earlier pics. Can't wait to see how it looks after you polish it.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I am sorry to denigrate your hard work, and I am sure it is better than anything I can do, but it is ugly as sin, I wouldn't carry it if it were given to me.

The stitching is slapdash and too highly contrasting, but the worst part is the strange inward bent to all the panel, leaving the seams exaggerated and discordant.

Again, sorry, but I think you would have been better off saving the money on materials and putting it towards buying a nice SAB or similar.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
Much nicer than I thought it was going to be from the earlier pics. Can't wait to see how it looks after you polish it.

Thanks. After a quick polish using Meltonian tan:

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
I am sorry to denigrate your hard work, and I am sure it is better than anything I can do, but it is ugly as sin, I wouldn't carry it if it were given to me.

The stitching is slapdash and too highly contrasting, but the worst part is the strange inward bent to all the panel, leaving the seams exaggerated and discordant.

Again, sorry, but I think you would have been better off saving the money on materials and putting it towards buying a nice SAB or similar.

I appreciate your input, thanks.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who likes to tinker, I think for the first attempt, it isn't all that bad. If you learn from your mistakes, I think the second one might be better. I think black stitching doesn't look as good as slightly yellowed white.

Can you post pictures of the stitch pattern you're using. I'd be interested in trying to do this as well.

And kudos for sharing.

Blamm

Reaction score
Carry it with pride - I think it looks fantastic. You have a great story to tell if asked - "where's your bag from?" Better than my - "my wife got it for me at a coach outlet..."

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
As someone who likes to tinker, I think for the first attempt, it isn't all that bad. If you learn from your mistakes, I think the second one might be better. I think black stitching doesn't look as good as slightly yellowed white.

Can you post pictures of the stitch pattern you're using. I'd be interested in trying to do this as well.

And kudos for sharing.

My wife said the same thing about the thread color until it was close to done. I like the contrast.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Very cool bris!

Thanks man.

Originally Posted by distinctive
I don't think you guys understand how difficult this is. For a first project, you did a fantastic job. Kudos! One thing that I would add to use (and still possible) is gum tragacanth (sp?) on the edges.

Very difficult. Fingers are sore. Sewing leather it quite the challenge. I used Kiwi sole edge dressing on the edges to darken/moisten it, then neutral wax and rubbed with a cloth tied around my finger. Seems I got the same result with much less work.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
opulence, you has it

Thanks son!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blamm
Carry it with pride - I think it looks fantastic. You have a great story to tell if asked - "where's your bag from?" Better than my - "my wife got it for me at a coach outlet..."
Thanks man. Welcome to teh forum. I wanted the bag to look like it was made by hand. Much more believable that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads