• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

pokey07

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in need of a couple things for my wardrobe.

First off, I need button down shirts. I'll be wearing these on casual Fridays and out to the bar and what not. Like most I like my shirts slimmer on the waist and shorter than the normal button down shirt. Pretty much BoO fit, without the price tag, since I can't afford that. Is my best option, to buy some shirts from JCrew for instance and have them tailored the way I'd like?

Second, I need a new pair of jeans. Something straight, not too tight, since my legs are a bit bulkier. Also, how do 514s fit? I wanted to get a couple pairs of jeans that aren't raw also because I get tired of the "wear the same jeans every day routine."

Last, I need some slightly dressier shoes to wear, but not too dressy. I just wear my white Jack Purcells with everything and I just want something a little different. Especially to wear with polos and dress shirts. The Jack Purcells are fine with tees, but I'd like to dress it up a little more with nicer shoes. American Eagle actually has some distressed oxford and wingtips that I kinda like on the cheap. I know everyone will frown at the brand choice, but if anyone has some any other recommendations like that I'd appreciate it. Oh also something different from desert boots. I have 2 pairs of those, but I just want to be able to switch it up every once and a while.

Thanks in advance!

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wear a leather jacket + belt + shoes, do they all have to match exactly, or can I have a light brown leather jacket w/ medium to dark brown shoes + a belt? I would think it would make sense for the shoes + belt to either match or always be darker than the jacket (i.e. gray jacket, black belt + shoes, but not black jacket w/gray shoes) but I'm looking for insight.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
If I wear a leather jacket + belt + shoes, do they all have to match exactly, or can I have a light brown leather jacket w/ medium to dark brown shoes + a belt? I would think it would make sense for the shoes + belt to either match or always be darker than the jacket (i.e. gray jacket, black belt + shoes, but not black jacket w/gray shoes) but I'm looking for insight.

personally, for casual clothes i prefer when stuff isn't too matchy, so i think you're good with the combo you mentioned.

as for shoes and belt being darker, i think it really depends. shoes+belt being darker than the jacket will probably have a higher success rate than dark jacket with light shoes+belt, but ligher shoes+belt can certainly look good. i remember some old aeglus fits where he had a dark leather jacket and that raw leather belt on. looked pretty good imo.

farraj18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Hey, I'm in need of a couple things for my wardrobe.

First off, I need button down shirts. I'll be wearing these on casual Fridays and out to the bar and what not. Like most I like my shirts slimmer on the waist and shorter than the normal button down shirt. Pretty much BoO fit, without the price tag, since I can't afford that. Is my best option, to buy some shirts from JCrew for instance and have them tailored the way I'd like?

Second, I need a new pair of jeans. Something straight, not too tight, since my legs are a bit bulkier. Also, how do 514s fit? I wanted to get a couple pairs of jeans that aren't raw also because I get tired of the "wear the same jeans every day routine."

Last, I need some slightly dressier shoes to wear, but not too dressy. I just wear my white Jack Purcells with everything and I just want something a little different. Especially to wear with polos and dress shirts. The Jack Purcells are fine with tees, but I'd like to dress it up a little more with nicer shoes. American Eagle actually has some distressed oxford and wingtips that I kinda like on the cheap. I know everyone will frown at the brand choice, but if anyone has some any other recommendations like that I'd appreciate it. Oh also something different from desert boots. I have 2 pairs of those, but I just want to be able to switch it up every once and a while.

Thanks in advance!

1. Body type (athletic, lean, average, etc) are going to play a role in what brands you should lean towards when buying at lower price ranges. I'd check out JCrew and Gap for slimmer fitting shirts. Make sure you try them on though. Brooks Brothers might also fit the bill and tends to be about the same price range as JCrew's stuff.

2. I wear 511's, so I don't have a great sense of knowledge about the 514's, however, the 511's fit very nicely on my legs (former soccer player for 14+ years). 514's are probably a good bet for what you're looking for. Check out Macy's and UrbanOutfitters for a variety of options.

3. American Eagle's shoes tend to be made pretty poorly, so I'd recommend staying away from those unless you only plan on the shoes lasting a year at most. It's hard to make a recommendation on shoes without knowing a price range.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farraj18
1. Body type (athletic, lean, average, etc) are going to play a role in what brands you should lean towards when buying at lower price ranges. I'd check out JCrew and Gap for slimmer fitting shirts. Make sure you try them on though. Brooks Brothers might also fit the bill and tends to be about the same price range as JCrew's stuff.

2. I wear 511's, so I don't have a great sense of knowledge about the 514's, however, the 511's fit very nicely on my legs (former soccer player for 14+ years). 514's are probably a good bet for what you're looking for. Check out Macy's and UrbanOutfitters for a variety of options.

3. American Eagle's shoes tend to be made pretty poorly, so I'd recommend staying away from those unless you only plan on the shoes lasting a year at most. It's hard to make a recommendation on shoes without knowing a price range.

Thanks for the response.

1) Body type is athletic. I usually wear J.Crew shirts, and wore mediums but the size varies so much. I have mediums that fit perfectly minus length issues, then I have some that are extremely baggy and some so tight I can't move. My problem is my chest/arms need a medium or large depending on the brand, but my waist is fine with a small, so I need a pretty good taper going on. I'm guessing this is only something that a tailor can fix.

2) I'll have to try and the 511s and 514s to see which one fits better. I might end up going with a pair of APC NS also.

3) Yeah for 60 bucks I figured they'd be ****, but I don't wanna spend too much... probably around $100 but I could push it up to $150 if I loved the shoe.

Thanks again for the help!

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
Seconding the request for good shirts for someone with a large taper from shoulders to waist. I usually wear a small in Jcrew, Gap, or wherever but the shirts are typically too baggy around my midsection and I dunno if I should look into BB extra slim or what exactly.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tit_tyrant
Seconding the request for good shirts for someone with a large taper from shoulders to waist. I usually wear a small in Jcrew, Gap, or wherever but the shirts are typically too baggy around my midsection and I dunno if I should look into BB extra slim or what exactly.

If you like your current slew of shirts but think they are too baggy around the waist, you can have them darted or taken in at the waist, so you can have your shirts & wear them too!

Also, it won't hurt to try on a BB extra slim fit, just to see if it works for you. I'm planning on doing the same at the local BB at some point soon.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting shirts tailored is a great idea

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
I guess I'll just need to find a tailor around here. I just hope said tailor will be helpful and not mess up my shirts or anything.

One more question: Can anyone recommend cheap vnecks (preferably fitted) that aren't see through? I like my Hanes V's but the white ones are kinda transparent. I plan on checking H&M soon and wish there was an AA around me but unfortunately there isn't. Every store I go into seems to rarely have Vnecks which makes being able to see if they are transparent/how they fit quite difficult.

Thanks

jamays00

Reaction score
for just casual wear how does this work for a daily outfit.

black CP training boots or the wings + horns black nubuck boot, APC NC or PS, hanes white/grey/black crew & vneck Ts. when it gets cooler a slim black leather jacket (saw a few ricks, diors, and julius that i really like)

i really wound like to keep it to 1 nice pair of shoes and 1 nice jacket and 1 nice pair of raw jeans to beat up on. since most of the time i'm wearing dress clothes at work.

NoahRose

Reaction score
I'm looking for some decent sub $100 cardigans and v-neck sweaters for the fall and winter. Grey, navy and maybe black. (I'm trying to build up my wardrobe
blush.gif
) How are J. Crew sweaters? Please don't kill me. I know some of you hate J. Crew.
wink.gif

Decemberist

Reaction score
Could someone recommend me some nice fall/winter knit sweaters. Preferably in the sub 200 price range. I'm 5'9 and rail thin. I'm from Toronto Canada and i wouldnt mind buying online. Something similar to Inverallan or SNS herning.

Thanks!

ddragovi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamays00
for just casual wear how does this work for a daily outfit.

black CP training boots or the wings + horns black nubuck boot, APC NC or PS, hanes white/grey/black crew & vneck Ts. when it gets cooler a slim black leather jacket (saw a few ricks, diors, and julius that i really like)

i really wound like to keep it to 1 nice pair of shoes and 1 nice jacket and 1 nice pair of raw jeans to beat up on. since most of the time i'm wearing dress clothes at work.

don't think you can really go wrong there man as long as everything fits you well.

Originally Posted by sebastianm
Im looking for a pair of shoes similar to these just without the "boat-shoes"ishs strings on the side. Anybody having a suggestion?
timberland-abington-boat-wedge-2.jpg

adidasxransom bluff

adidas-originals-ransom-bluff.jpg

LuvRawDenim

Reaction score
Can someone recommend me a nice backpack? I'm looking for something to wear to school, but that looks classy. Preferably not too expensive though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads