• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pope Hartford

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Gentleman, I am envious. I live in northern Ontario where one cannot buy anything of quality either new or otherwise.

Yeah, I'm from Thunder Bay, ON, and had to move to Toronto just to know I'll get something good at Value Village ::

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
I think wearing dead mens' clothes is someone all us thrifters just have to live with.

Yep, that's where all my dad's Viking's sweatshirts went. My mom's (d. 2000) clothes (almost all early 1960's) were bought by a reseller.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
its a taboo from the wild west days to wear a dead mans shoes,when they put a bullet in you the first thing they did is size up the dead guys shoes (and gun) and it was bad luck to wear em usually earning a bullet yourself for the trouble...and then i think the same taboo was perpetuated in WW2 not steal a deadmans shoes because it was bad luck

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought two things at Winners in the last week that I'm very happy with.

A few days ago I found a long-since-discontinued Juicy Couture reversible rabbit fur hoodie for $149 so I picked it up (it's my second, they're comfy as hell and since they are totally plain, nobody can ***** except for PETA).

Then today I went in to buy some underwear and found a really cool Drykorn blazer for $199 (not cheap but retail is >$400 in Canada), I'm not sure how to describe it except it's vaguely like a safari jacket got impregnated by one of the ridiculous Dior Homme Napoleon jackets -- about as close to Hedi-DH as anything I've ever seen that wasn't, well, Hedi-DH.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of disappointment today. I found a gorgeous navy pinstripe flannel suit jacket from Oxxford. Mint condition. Looked all over the store with no luck finding the trousers. I think they have have gotten "salvaged". The men's trousers section which is usually overflowing looked like it was just thinned out today, as there was a lot of room in there.
frown.gif

Temujin

Reaction score
Just gonna let you know about my cobbler in case you don't have a good one where you live. They are a father and son team and very knowledgeable about the trade. They also operate a mail in service for out of towners. Here are there prices:
14.95/pr of heels
33.95/pr of full soles and heels
25.95/pr for half soles
16/pr of protective soles/toppies
25/pr of protective soles/heels
Their names are Jim & Hardy Johnson and their phone # is :865-689-6486

CUSTOM SHOE REBUILDERS
5503 N. BROADWAY
KNOXVILLE, TN 37918

Please let me know about other threads where this post would be welcome, or feel free to paste it there yourself

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
4 Hickey Freeman shirts ( 1 french cuff, 1 Hickey Freeman Collection, 2 striped)
1 Theory shirt
They'll probably end up in the trading thread with some other stuff I've been meaning to post there.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
found a navy overcoat that may be the heaviest thing I've ever seen. Fits me perfectly. No tags so not sure the maker but seems really high quality. Single breasted, $11.

Also a really nice tan tweed jacket by Corbin, not a SF superstar but I've always liked their stuff. It has a plaid pattern with blues and maroons in it and will go with a lot of stuff. Finally a couple pairs of linen Brooks Bros trousers in my size. A little late but it stays hot in NC for a little longer and I can wear them next season too.

Lokesh

Reaction score
I live in the Downtown San Francisco area, does anyone know of the thrift stores in the area? I don't actually know where they are and which ones usually have nice stuff. I walked around looking for one and the only one I saw was somewhere almost in the Tenderloin and their stuff was not so good. I head that the Community Thrift Store was good. Any others you guys shop at?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I don't know any specifics, but the few SF members who lived in the San Fransisco area and thrifted came out with some mind-blowing stuff. Kiton & Brioni suits/jackets, mint Hermes suits, vintage Savile Row bespoke, Lobb and Vass shoes...etc. Do some searching around town and I'm sure you'll find some amazing stuff. There's a lot of money in that area, as well as some nice clothing shops, which means nice donations. Good luck!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Found two Oxxford jackets today. One is a charcoal herringbone with a salmon windowpane. The other is a navy blazer with tonal stripes. Cool striped lining. $9/each.

what size?
DV?
Id love to see them.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ I don't know any specifics, but the few SF members who lived in the San Fransisco area and thrifted came out with some mind-blowing stuff. Kiton & Brioni suits/jackets, mint Hermes suits, vintage Savile Row bespoke, Lobb and Vass shoes...etc. Do some searching around town and I'm sure you'll find some amazing stuff. There's a lot of money in that area, as well as some nice clothing shops, which means nice donations. Good luck!

Yeah I've always had luck at most thrift stores that I've been to. Some in Windsor, England were pretty cool. I've always wanted to try here in SF too but never knew where they were and which ones to go to! I hope to find out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics