• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

anonymouschris

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Gf and I broke up a few days ago, after about 3.5 yrs. Complicated situation as we live together and I may be taking a job that will take me to Hong Kong. We moved in together about a year ago but I just started a job that I hated and after a few months was just checked out, from the relationship and the job. From both sides I guess we got too comfortable and didn't work much on the relationship and got too complacent. Guess it got to the point where she said she loves me but isn't in love with me anymore. I guess I feel similarly but would have wanted to try to work it out, but its probably too late now. Honestly had thought we would eventually get married.

She are still best friends and I love her to death but this time apart while I'm abroad will help us appreciate each other a lot more. Not saying I am hoping to get back together but now we can actually see if we can achieve the same kind of relationship with someone else. I have doubts about that but only time will tell.

I think a lot of Western raised women have this idealistic idea about what a relationship should be like. For me, I love living with her and liked the routine. But the biggest challenge is to fight complacency and continue to work on the relationship. I feel like I'm almost more devastated that our life together is ending rather than the actual breakup.

anyone have an experience like this before?

exact situation i am in, except...

i don't live with the gf
i've been with her almost 6 years
and we're not broken up yet

it gets harder to break up everyday, but it has to be done. i'm fucked.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
I don't fully understand the logic of: Dating a perfect girl + she wants marriage - you want marriage = break up with her
On the surface I suppose I could understand this but why would you want to stay with somebody who has no interest in making the same huge life decisions that you do? Same rationale with kids/no kids.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She are still best friends and I love her to death but this time apart while I'm abroad will help us appreciate each other a lot more. Not saying I am hoping to get back together but now we can actually see if we can achieve the same kind of relationship with someone else. I have doubts about that but only time will tell.

man i've had doubts that i'd ever be as close to someone again like 4 times in my life. you will.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My friends, one time I was gained a date with a beautiful womans from the restaurant where I work all night as a wash the dishes boy. This womans was a waitress at these restaurant, so yes, you can say she is probably a beautiful creature indeed!
wink.gif

So I take the beautiful womans on a date to a movies theatre, we saw a movies it is called Toy Story 3. Well would not you know this, the next second I started to cry right there in the Toy Story 3!! My date, she ask why I am moved to such tears for this Toy Story 3. I tell her womans, you do not understand my shame because I grew up so poor I did not have such beautifuls toy in my house! I did not! I cry for my childhood, I cry for the shame of my father who work every day of his life so that we can have the best foods fresh from the fields and the fish energies from the wild ocean sea. I cry because live is so magical, you must treasure it!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
Are you jesting?

No sir, I do not jest about this, the date I did gain with this womans. It was beautiful time and experience in my live, it remind me of connection to the earth and to every person in it.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of breaking up with my girlfriend and going on a date with a younger, more attractive girl. My current girlfriend and I get along well, but I don't see a long term thing happening with her plus she has gained a bit of weight since we began dating. I want no part of a fatwife and I fear this is where she will end up based on the weight gain and the size of her mother.

Must decide in the next few days before my window closes with the hot one.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I'm thinking of breaking up with my girlfriend and going on a date with a younger, more attractive girl. My current girlfriend and I get along well, but I don't see a long term thing happening with her plus she has gained a bit of weight since we began dating. I want no part of a fatwife and I fear this is where she will end up based on the weight gain and the size of her mother. Must decide in the next few days before my window closes with the hot one.
All signs point to...

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I'm thinking of breaking up with my girlfriend and going on a date with a younger, more attractive girl. My current girlfriend and I get along well, but I don't see a long term thing happening with her plus she has gained a bit of weight since we began dating. I want no part of a fatwife and I fear this is where she will end up based on the weight gain and the size of her mother.

Must decide in the next few days before my window closes with the hot one.

they all put on weight, just so you know

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack

pretty well my experience, except for my first-ever...who thinned out and lost her formerly-magnificent rack.
frown.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I expect it after years of marriage and children. Not so much while still dating in our 20's.

That's really only a small part of it. Like I said, while I enjoy being with her, I don't see any long term possibilities. I'm thinking about just cutting my losses at moving on at this point. Hot young girl is merely a bonus.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke things off with my gf of almost 3 years in Feb. ****** at first, but now I feel awesome.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After 11 years of marriage and 3 kids, wife is size 2. It's her job.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

Has anyone ever bought any of this crap? Why do these . . . . people . . . keep doing this?

(The crap was removed by the moderator.)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of Western raised women have this idealistic idea about what a relationship should be like.
+100. In general, western men and women have an idealistic view of what life should be like. They are heavily influenced by the media, whose job is to entertain, not educate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics