• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

brandom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A-Mart
Why wouldn't you just give him your name if you did nothing wrong? And he's actually right. If the for sale signs are up, you have to honor the sale. for instance, if a $100 pair of jeans is on a rack that has a 'all items $19.99' sign on it, but the jeans still contain a $100 price tag, the store must honor the price advertised on top of the rack.

The customer was not right. He said that the sale sign clearly stated the dates in the fine print, so it was not 'false advertising'.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
19.) If there is one thing I truly despise, it's customers who ask for a discount or something for free because they're buying so much.

Just how much "so much" is is subject to personal opinion, of course.

I remember one young guy (mid 20s) who was looking at buying one sport shirt but, in the end, he decided he wanted to buy two.

"Now, let's talk for a moment," he said.

Oh Christ, I knew what was coming next.

"I want to buy two shirts. Since I'm buying so many, what sort of deal can you give me?"

"You're buying how many shirts, sir?"

"I said I want two. These two."

"I thought you said you were buying many, not just two. Two is not many. Two is not a lot at all. I've had customers buy eight or more shirts at a time with two ties or more to go with each one. Two is not a lot."

Silence.

"I cannot give you any discount regardless of how much you buy," I said.

"Oh."

Silence.

"I think I'll just go with the one, then,"

"Okay. I'll fold it up for you and key it through."

I started folding up the shirt and wrapping it.

"Are you sure you can't give me a deal if I buy two?"

"I cannot give you any deal or discount even if you buy the entire store."

"Oh. Okay."

Stupid moron.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandom
Yes. If you're a salesman, why didn't you try to sell anything to him? This kid had a job and knew what he wanted, but was obviously ignorant of the basics. Why wouldn't you spend a few moments trying to educate him some, and maybe getting a sale out of it?

And if he was obviously far out of the price range of your store, what would be the harm in giving him 5 minutes of a basic lesson on what to ask for and pointing him to a cheaper place that would be more in line with his budget? This would be a classy move on your part, and maybe start a kid down a path towards not wearing the crap clothes he has on now.

Like I said, though...these are entertaining, so please keep them coming.

In my original post detailing this incident, the ****** walked out right after his spiel about wanting an Italish tuxedo. He walked in, gave his spiel, and then walked right out without so much as giving me an opportunity to say a single word.

Any other questions?

literasyme

Reaction score
You really are one of the most impressive blowhards around here at the moment. Sure, that particular guy was a fool for considering two shirts "many," but whyever would it be inappropriate for someone buying a lot of items at full price to ask for some kind of discount? More to the point, what the hell could possibly be considered despicable about that? We all know most retailers are selling items at a very comfortable profit margin if tehy're selling at full price, and it seems perfectly reasonable to try to negotiate a bit if you're in the process of dropping a sizeable amount of cash.

brandom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
In my original post detailing this incident, the ****** walked out right after his spiel about wanting an Italish tuxedo. He walked in, gave his spiel, and then walked right out without so much as giving me an opportunity to say a single word.

This is why I mentioned the different speaking patterns and the length of pauses that are expected. When someone is nervous, like say when a "whigger" kid walks into a snobbish suit store, it's magnified. Again, this is all playing devil's advocate, since I wasn't there.

Any other questions?

Yes, but I don't want to agitate you so feel free to ignore it: do you enjoy your job?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme

You really are one of the most impressive blowhards around here at the moment. Sure, that particular guy was a fool for considering two shirts "many," but whyever would it be inappropriate for someone buying a lot of items at full price to ask for some kind of discount? More to the point, what the hell could possibly be considered despicable about that? We all know most retailers are selling items at a very comfortable profit margin if tehy're selling at full price, and it seems perfectly reasonable to try to negotiate a bit if you're in the process of dropping a sizeable amount of cash.

It's like this: Why should one person pay a lower price for these items simply because he asked for a discount when another customer in another of our stores who buys the same items pay full price because he did not ask for a discount?

My point is this: If you give him a discount today, then who's to say what he will ask for tomorrow? Where--and when--will it all end?

Sure, today you can give him, let's say, 10% off his total . . . but how about next time? He'll ask for more next time because he knows he can twist your arm. What will you give him next time?

You know what I've said to customers? In a joking manner, I've said to them, "If you want a better price than what you're getting today, then get a job here and get the staff discount." The customers and I chuckle for a few moments over this and that's that. They understand what I mean and they accept it.

With all due respect, I don't mind if people ask for a discount. There's no harm in asking, right? BUT if I tell them there's nothing I can give them and they STILL pursue it, then I get pissed off and bring out the heavy artillery. Some of these customers will ask to speak with the manager to get a discount and I've always said to these people, "It doesn't matter who you speak to. The manager will tell you the same thing I just told you because the manager and all of us--the sales staff--follow the same set of policies given to us by our corporate office."

Think about it.

brandom

Reaction score
It's like this: Why should one person pay a lower price for these items simply because he asked for a discount when another customer in another of our stores who buys the same items pay full price because he did not ask for a discount?

My point is this: If you give him a discount today, then who's to say what he will ask for tomorrow? Where--and when--will it all end? Sure, today you can give him, let's say, 10% off his total . . . but how about next time? He'll ask for more next time because he knows he can twist your arm.

Think about it.

I'm confused. Did you lie to him, and you actually do have the ability to give a discount?

And if you do, and if you are paid on commission, why would you not entice him to buy a 2nd shirt with some discount (5, 10, 20%) that still makes you & the store more money? That would seem to be worth the burden of having to worry about him trying to twist your arm on some future deal.

Crap. There are more questions. I promise I'll shutup soon, but this thread is addictive.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Yes, but I don't want to agitate you so feel free to ignore it: do you enjoy your job?

YES, I DO!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I absolutely love it to pieces!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

It gives me such immense joy and meaning and spiritual enlightenment!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thank you for asking!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

brandom

Reaction score
YES, I DO!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I absolutely love it to pieces!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

It gives me such immense joy and meaning and spiritual enlightenment!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thank you for asking!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Now THAT is a salesman.
laugh.gif

SuitMyself

Reaction score

I'm confused. Did you lie to him, and you actually do have the ability to give a discount?

We DO NOT, CANNOT, and WILL NOT give discounts of any sort, period.

And if you do, and if you are paid on commission, why would you not entice him to buy a 2nd shirt with some discount (5, 10, 20%) that still makes you & the store more money? That would seem to be worth the burden of having to worry about him trying to twist your arm on some future deal.

Crap. There are more questions. I promise I'll shutup soon, but this thread is addictive.

What about integrity? I have my integrity. Some people don't. But I do. And I intend to keep it until the day they dump my dead body into the dark cold hard earth.

literasyme

Reaction score
19.) If there is one thing I truly despise, it's customers who ask for a discount or something for free because they're buying so much.

With all due respect, I don't mind if people ask for a discount. There's no harm in asking, right?

Just sayin'.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
20.) A mid-40s man (one of those Middle Eastern guys who's ALWAYS asking for a deal of some sort) came into the store one night and browsed around for a bit and finally stopped in front of some white dress shirts.

He asked to be measured and I measured him.

He picked up one he liked and he noticed a small ink stain (probably from when a ballpoint pen rubbed against it) on the collar. In such cases, we simply send the item back to the vendor.

He picked up the shirt, saw the ink stain, and asked me for a discount.

I told him I could not do that since we have to send the shirt back to the vendor in a case like this. I suggested he get a different shirt. I looked through the stack and found the same one in his size and without any stains.

He said to me he still wanted the stained one.

"Why?" I asked. "That has a stain. Why don't get this one without any stains?"

"No, I want the one with stain."

Ooooooooooooooookay, I thought.

"Give me discount," he said.

"Sir, I cannot do that."

"Give me discount. It has stain."

"I cannot give you a discount. We will send this shirt back to the supplier. I cannot sell you that shirt."

"Give me free."

"No."

"How about that one?" he asked, pointing to the one without the ink stain.

"What about this one?" I asked.

"Give me for free."

"Excuse me?"

"I want that one free."

"You do?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Silence. No answer.

"Why do you want this shirt and not have to pay for it?"

Silence. No answer.

"I want for free."

"No."

He looked at it for a second and turned around and left.

Stupid moron.

The manager and I wrote up the stained shirt the following week and sent it back to the vendor for a full credit.

21.) I remember a friend of mine, who was working part-time in a shoe store while he was going to university, who told me this story about a cheap ass customer.

The guy brought his son in to buy a pair of shoes and they selected and decided on a pair on sale for $99.

My friend was keying in the sale when the dad said to him he should give him a discount for buying the shoes.

My friend told him they cannot and do not give discounts; furthermore, the shoes were already on clearance, my friend told him.

The dad didn't give up and continued to pursue the matter for about five minutes or so.

"C'mon, how about a free pair of laces? They're only $4."

My friend still didn't budge simply because they do not give discounts or freebies.

"Awww, c'mon. Just one pair of shoe laces. They're only $4 a pair."

My friend noticed there were lots of customers milling around and that things were getting very busy in the store and he was missing out on a lot of customers and sales and he wasn't even sure if this guy would even buy this pair of clearance shoes for his son.

In the end, my friend gave in (I still don't know why he did this) and said, "All, right, all right, I'll pay for this pair of laces for you! All right?"

The cheap ass MOFO customer was happy now. He took out his Platinum American Express card and my friend noticed his title on the card.

"You're a doctor?"

"Yes. Anything wrong with that?"

My friend stared at the card in silence. He finally looked up and said to the cheap ass MOFO in a loud voice, "Sir, you are a doctor. You make more money in one year than what I make in five or ten. You asked me for a pair of $4 shoe laces which I decided to buy for you to keep you happy and to shut you up. I'm spending $4 for shoe laces to give to you when I'm only earning 2% commission for selling these shoes to you. Right now, I'm $2 poorer than before you came in. YOU SHOULD BE ******* ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!"

Dr. Cheap Ass was red in the face now with embarrassment. His son had left the store long ago to check out some other stores while dad was paying.

My friend packed up the shoes and the $4 laces he paid for with his own money, shoved the package into the MOFO's arms, and walked out. He quit that day.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
My point is this: When you start giving discounts to customers just because they ask, there's no telling where and when it will all end.

If a shirt is selling for $95, then we expect you to pay $95 for it. It's that simple.

So, please, DO NOT ask me if there's a discount on it. If there is a discount, then you really think I wouldn't have told you about it by now? If$95 is not the price as stated on the ticket, then can you tell me what the real price is? Can you?

22.) I remember this one guy (late 50s) who came into the store during the Christmas season and he was examining some sweaters I was just putting onto the table. I told him these were brand new and that we were just unpacking them from our shipment that was delivered this afternoon.

"They're sure nice," he said.

"Yes, indeed they are, sir," I said.

"Are these on sale?"

Huh?

WHAT?!

"Sir, I just told you these sweaters are BRAND NEW and that we're still unpacking them from the boxes that were just delivered to us TODAY. THEY'RE BRAND NEW. NO, THEY'RE NOT ON SALE."

"Oh."

Stupid moron.

He walked around for a bit more and then left.

Stupid moron.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HILARIOUS! AHHAHAHAHHAA.

20.) A mid-40s man (one of those Middle Eastern guys who's ALWAYS asking for a deal of some sort) came into the store one night and browsed around for a bit and finally stopped in front of some white dress shirts.

He asked to be measured and I measured him.

He picked up one he liked and he noticed a small ink stain (probably from when a ballpoint pen rubbed against it) on the collar. In such cases, we simply send the item back to the vendor.

He picked up the shirt, saw the ink stain, and asked me for a discount.

I told him I could not do that since we have to send the shirt back to the vendor in a case like this. I suggested he get a different shirt. I looked through the stack and found the same one in his size and without any stains.

He said to me he still wanted the stained one.

"Why?" I asked. "That has a stain. Why don't get this one without any stains?"

"No, I want the one with stain."

Ooooooooooooooookay, I thought.

"Give me discount," he said.

"Sir, I cannot do that."

"Give me discount. It has stain."

"I cannot give you a discount. We will send this shirt back to the supplier. I cannot sell you that shirt."

"Give me free."

"No."

"How about that one?" he asked, pointing to the one without the ink stain.

"What about this one?" I asked.

"Give me for free."

"Excuse me?"

"I want that one free."

"You do?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Silence. No answer.

"Why do you want this shirt and not have to pay for it?"

Silence. No answer.

"I want for free."

"No."

He looked at it for a second and turned around and left.

Stupid moron.

The manager and I wrote up the stained shirt the following week and sent it back to the vendor for a full credit.

21.) I remember a friend of mine, who was working part-time in a shoe store while he was going to university, who told me this story about a cheap ass customer.

The guy brought his son in to buy a pair of shoes and they selected and decided on a pair on sale for $99.

My friend was keying in the sale when the dad said to him he should give him a discount for buying the shoes.

My friend told him they cannot and do not give discounts; furthermore, the shoes were already on clearance, my friend told him.

The dad didn't give up and continued to pursue the matter for about five minutes or so.

"C'mon, how about a free pair of laces? They're only $4."

My friend still didn't budge simply because they do not give discounts or freebies.

"Awww, c'mon. Just one pair of shoe laces. They're only $4 a pair."

My friend noticed there were lots of customers milling around and that things were getting very busy in the store and he was missing out on a lot of customers and sales and he wasn't even sure if this guy would even buy this pair of clearance shoes for his son.

In the end, my friend gave in (I still don't know why he did this) and said, "All, right, all right, I'll pay for this pair of laces for you! All right?"

The cheap ass MOFO customer was happy now. He took out his Platinum American Express card and my friend noticed his title on the card.

"You're a doctor?"

"Yes. Anything wrong with that?"

My friend stared at the card in silence. He finally looked up and said to the cheap ass MOFO in a loud voice, "Sir, you are a doctor. You make more money in one year than what I make in five or ten. You asked me for a pair of $4 shoe laces which I decided to buy for you to keep you happy and to shut you up. I'm spending $4 for shoe laces to give to you when I'm only earning 2% commission for selling these shoes to you. Right now, I'm $2 poorer than before you came in. YOU SHOULD BE ******* ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!"

Dr. Cheap Ass was red in the face now with embarrassment. His son had left the store long ago to check out some other stores while dad was paying.

My friend packed up the shoes and the $4 laces he paid for with his own money, shoved the package into the MOFO's arms, and walked out. He quit that day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads