• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ready to leave your country forever?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Feyn, make sure you know what you're getting into. Diaspora Indians are treated relatively poorly and are not entirely accepted into upper social classes.

i10casual

Reaction score
I love how spoiled my fellow americans are. They cry, lay around, and collect wellfare checks after loosing their jobs. Even after years of unemployment. They complain about the immigrants but don't see the immigrants are stronger than they are. Go to where the jobs are.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a new graduate looking to leave the country for a bit at least. Swap.ca is my way out, a program for Canadians to travel to other countries and work there.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
For a while I thought of moving to the UK (where most of my family are), but from what I've read in the news over the past few years, and since the birth of my kids, that's not really an option anymore. In fact, one of my cousins (a police officer in Hertfordshire) is coming over here with his family next spring, and his parents are desperate to get out, too.

My wife (then my g-f) and I contemplated going abroad in the months leading up to the 1995 referendum, if things turned sour. We were in university then, and figured that would have been the best time to go if things went to pot. I suppose things turned out for the best, in the end, but I haven't ruled out wandering a bit after retirement, or once the kids are gone.

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've already done it and there are also many other places I'd move to in a second, if I could transfer my current standard of living there.
I'm right with you there. I've lived abroad for just over 3 years now, since graduating from university. ~2 years in Saudi Arabia, a few months each in UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, 5 months in Switzerland, and 8 months now in Equatorial Guinea. When I first moved abroad there was nothing in the world that could make me want to move back. I still feel that way about half the time, but the other half of me wants a place to call my own and that speaks English, as my Spanish and French aren't good enough to really feel comfortable here in E.G. or Switzerland, where my parents moved to. That's a big part of your standard of living that money can't buy, comfort in another tongue. I think a few months back in the US would get me wanting to move again, though.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
I'm right with you there.

I've lived abroad for just over 3 years now, since graduating from university. ~2 years in Saudi Arabia, a few months each in UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, 5 months in Switzerland, and 8 months now in Equatorial Guinea.

When I first moved abroad there was nothing in the world that could make me want to move back. I still feel that way about half the time, but the other half of me wants a place to call my own and that speaks English, as my Spanish and French aren't good enough to really feel comfortable here in E.G. or Switzerland, where my parents moved to. That's a big part of your standard of living that money can't buy, comfort in another tongue.

I think a few months back in the US would get me wanting to move again, though.

Look at what your taxes would be. That will cure you quick. I can't wait to get my career to the level where i'll be attractive to multinationals in the ME, and where the pros will offset the cons.

Siggy

Reaction score
I have lived in the US, France, Germany, and Austria. I am satisfied living abroad now but eventually I may want to move back to the homeland. There are always little things that I miss (local sports, food, etc), but then I get my fill of them just going back for the holidays or something. Otherwise, I prefer the challenges, quirks and adventures of living in a foreign country and functioning in a foreign language while still fitting in quite well- being part of the culture and still a stranger to it.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The world over, most people are idiots. No matter where I go, I'm already used to it.

Correct; this observation is.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Shto Takoye? Ni polu4ilas zhenitsa na oligarkeh?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
I'm desperate to leave Paris.
confused.gif
Never lived more than 7 years in a country and I'm getting overdue right now.

I get to move every month or so for work in various places around the globe (mainly in West and Central Africa right now), but working offshore on a ship doesn't count when speaking of living abroad experiences I guess.

If I was able to move for good, it would be for South America (Brazil, many many opportunities down there and really cool mountains nearby in Bolivia, Argentina...) or Central Asia. I can see myself living in Kyrgyzstan or Kazhakstan, and taking time to travel to the most remote places in Tibet, Sichuan, Xinjkiang and Northern Pakistan and give a try to every unclimbed moutain I will encounter.
I would probably live like this for 2 to 3 years plus my gf works for an airline so free tickets available to come back in Europe every month or so, for fittings with tailors for instance.
laugh.gif

Then, perhaps, move to North America

do you work in oil?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i live in what is probably the nicest place you can live and work in my industry. everwhere else is wartorn, opressive, really cold or houston.

i cant imagine myself leaving this place for ever. will do a few stints in the above locations for some experience soon tho.

Wess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I would like to live in Paris.
Cool story to impress your friends with, but living in Paris will be SO dissapointing. I don't want to learn a new language. I speak French, German, Dutch, Cantonese and English but will never want to live in France, Germany, UK, or US. Hong Kong or Canada wouldn't be bad I suppose. Meh, I enjoy living not in Amsterdam.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wess
Meh, I enjoy living not in Amsterdam.

I find it, the Amsterdam is a sad place full of sorrow. In my travels from the old country I find myself in Amsterdam when I gain work aboard a freighter shipping American item to Nederlan. The captain of this boat he tell me, he say young mans when you get aboard in Amsterdam you must gain a blowjobs from a womans in the district of redding lights. Well my friend, I tell him what is this blowjobs? He tell me what this mean, I slap him quite hard across the cheekbones. I tell him you do not misrespeck a womans like that. You never do that. I never do such a things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads