• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
yeah they do have good customer service but it doesn't justify increasing the cost of shipping simply because an item costs more, regardless of the actual size of the order

things like that just come across as greedy to me, sorry

Yeah their shipping costs don't make too much sense. They're probably losing business due to it. I'm in Canada so if I wanted to buy 1 $60 shirt, it would cost me $15.50 to have it shipped.

It looks like they are doing something to get more business. There is a new free shipping code for orders over $100. As far as I can remember, it's ususally been $150. I saw over at j crew aficionada that they've been having 3 day sales on some of their womens items (instead of just waiting to do a blanket final sale).

cimabue

Reaction score
Ever wonder how the quack medicine peddlers can give their garbage away in the so-called "free 30 day trial offers"? Because they never intended to sell the crap in the first place. They make it all on the padded shipping and handling costs. Subtract, let's say, $4 in costs from the $12 s & h charges they charge, multiply that number times a few hundred thousand and you're looking at nice profits. Likewise the online retailers. Don't be a chump. You need to tell them to stuff their brokerage fees, and they'll listen because they need you more than you need them. The next step is to get UPS, FedEx and the USPS in line. Extortionists all.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Ever wonder how the quack medicine peddlers can give their garbage away in the so-called "free 30 day trial offers"? Because they never intended to sell the crap in the first place. They make it all on the padded shipping and handling costs. Subtract, let's say, $4 in costs from the $12 s & h charges they charge, multiply that number times a few hundred thousand and you're looking at nice profits.

Likewise the online retailers. Don't be a chump. You need to tell them to stuff their brokerage fees, and they'll listen because they need you more than you need them.

The next step is to get UPS, FedEx and the USPS in line. Extortionists all.

I just don't buy the stuff. I've bought a few things from J.Crew, but everything has been on sale with a 30% off code, because that's the only way I can agree to their ridiculous shipping prices.

I'm trying to find the Field Mechanic's jacket at a local store, too, so I can try it on, but none of the stores in my area even stock it.

J.Crew just doesn't seem to be very good at getting my money
smile.gif

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shop at online stores with free shipping or special discounts. ***** just a way to mask the total price like bue explained earlier.

supermidget

Reaction score
still waiting for the toggle cardigan to show up in the jcrew stores in NYC. anyone seen it yet? hows the fit?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by supermidget
still waiting for the toggle cardigan to show up in the jcrew stores in NYC. anyone seen it yet? hows the fit?
I have the toggle cardigan in M. Probably fits "big" for SW&D standards, but I like the chunkiness.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I 100% agree that JCrew's shipping policies are outrageous, you guys do know you can get free shipping on items via the Red Phone in stores right? It's a little trick to get around the shipping charges on most items.

I do wish JCrew would follow GAP/BR's and offer $7 flat rate shipping for all items.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by palma
Hey guys,
I was wondering if J Crew already did or were planning on doing this jacket http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...6051/96051.jsp in some shade of green? Also, if anybody has any experience with this jacket could you comment on how true the sizing is and quality of the cloth.

Thanks,

i tried htis on the other day and it fits very big for a j crew m

ceekay

Reaction score
yea their shipping is pretty expensive but why pay it? just go to the store with a list of everything you want and order it from there.. I've never paid shipping, even on sale items. plus they will give you the student or teacher discount too. I think it's actually a very good system and the are always super nice about it all.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
i tried htis on the other day and it fits very big for a j crew m

+1. i ordered an M last year and sent it back because it was so big. great jacket and i'm sure an S would have fit but i'm lazy.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick verdict on the new slim fit: similar to gitman vintage, slim body, slightly higher armholes, but the sleeves are still roomy. it's between the polo custom fit and brooks brothers extra-slim.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
quick verdict on the new slim fit: similar to gitman vintage, slim body, slightly higher armholes, but the sleeves are still roomy. it's between the polo custom fit and brooks brothers extra-slim.

Are the shoulders still wide or did they narrow them up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics