• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
That's a bummer. I like the original, Intensa, and somewhat less the Absolut
The original's always been too fleeting for me to really enjoy. The Intensa is quite nice but I've never cared for the Absolut for some reason. I think this might hold up a bit better when the weather turns to the 70's or below here. Its just not made for 90 degree heat. Trying out the Bvlgari Man today. Very very light. In fact I can't really smell it at all. I get sort of an unscented moisturizer scent. Could be my unscented moisturizer.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kiehl's Musk - again - as I try to pull my thoughts together on this one.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Kiehl's Musk - again - as I try to pull my thoughts together on this one.

Try layering it with something. I'm trying to think what might be a good one to try... something ambery maybe?

I'd love to try a hefty rose scent with it, or you could do something with Cumin to try and get some MKK foulness.

It seemed a little flat to me, or very close, and while it was neat on its own, it might help with something added.

OOH, sandalwood! What sandalwood heavy scents do you have? That could be a neat layering...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Try layering it with something. I'm trying to think what might be a good one to try... something ambery maybe?

I'd love to try a hefty rose scent with it, or you could do something with Cumin to try and get some MKK foulness.

It seemed a little flat to me, or very close, and while it was neat on its own, it might help with something added.

OOH, sandalwood! What sandalwood heavy scents do you have? That could be a neat layering...

Amber absolute would be overkill, IMHO. Ambre fetiche...never liked it. And I think I got rid of the rest of the Ambers, owing to the short winters here. Although Chanel PM might play well with this.

I still have some Kingdom, though...rose + cumin should get me kicked out of the office. That said, I also have a decant of DSH Dirty Rose, which is alledgedly more 'dirty' than 'rose'. Still haven't tried that one yet. =(

Sandalwood: I have very little native sandalwood scents. A tiny decant of Egoiste...although the Kiehl's might lend it some much-needed interest.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silver Mountain Water. Smells great on my gf, but I think it'd be weird for us to have the same scent, right?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A tiny decant of Egoiste...although the Kiehl's might lend it some much-needed interest.

That could be interesting... sandalwood/vanilla and musk. Hmmm... let us know how it turns out. It might be awful, though, depending on what other "animalic" notes are in the Kiehl's... I can't remember off hand.

Anyway, enjoying the dry down of opium a LOT. I think I sprayed too much on this morning, though, and have been nauseating everybody within 50 feet.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been working through various sandalwoods this week. Today it's Cassewell-Massey's. Yesterday was Tam Dao and Art of Shaving. The AOS was rather soapy and died off fairly quickly. The TD was good, but not really anything I liked. This C-M has been surprisingly good, and it's got great longevity, and apparently's pretty cheap. If I liked Sandalwood this would be a winner!

I'm still probably going to buy Tommy Bahamma at some point (nose up at you Mr. Thomas).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That could be interesting... sandalwood/vanilla and musk. Hmmm... let us know how it turns out. It might be awful, though, depending on what other "animalic" notes are in the Kiehl's... I can't remember off hand.

Anyway, enjoying the dry down of opium a LOT. I think I sprayed too much on this morning, though, and have been nauseating everybody within 50 feet.

I got an old bottle of the EdT and wondered what all the fuss was. Probably didn't bother to check the drydown. Once winter comes around I'll get more bold about it.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've been working through various sandalwoods this week. Today it's Cassewell-Massey's. Yesterday was Tam Dao and Art of Shaving. The AOS was rather soapy and died off fairly quickly. The TD was good, but not really anything I liked. This C-M has been surprisingly good, and it's got great longevity, and apparently's pretty cheap. If I liked Sandalwood this would be a winner!

I'm still probably going to buy Tommy Bahamma at some point (nose up at you Mr. Thomas).

good luck with that. Maybe it will work better on you.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Tried another application of the Bvlgari Man. Its so light I can barely smell it. Oh well.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
judgeth not the bottle, only the juice!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got an old bottle of the EdT and wondered what all the fuss was. Probably didn't bother to check the drydown. Once winter comes around I'll get more bold about it.

good luck with that. Maybe it will work better on you.

Keep in mind I mean the original Opium, not the "Pour homme." And mine is in the Eau de Parfum, which is a little "deeper."

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Silver Mountain Water. Smells great on my gf, but I think it'd be weird for us to have the same scent, right?

The stuff is friggin amazing on the ladies.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind I mean the original Opium, not the "Pour homme." And mine is in the Eau de Parfum, which is a little "deeper."

Oh, I have the original Opium, EdT, bottle comes from around the 80's or so: dark juice, and it was still in its box, so it ought to have been okay. Smelled nice while I paid attention. Opium pour homme I've seen at Marshalls and avoided: My own Marshall plan.

Today - I wanted Vetiver but couldn't find it, so I went with Mouchoir de Monsieur

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I have the original Opium, EdT, bottle comes from around the 80's or so: dark juice, and it was still in its box, so it ought to have been okay. Smelled nice while I paid attention. Opium pour homme I've seen at Marshalls and avoided: My own Marshall plan.

Today - I wanted Vetiver but couldn't find it, so I went with Mouchoir de Monsieur

Ah, gotcha. I haven't actually smelled the Opium EdT, though I'm sure it is in the same realm as the Parfum and the EdT.

It is awfully sweet and a little heavy, but it has that wonderful, romantic, deep sort of allure. YSL, in the old days, really made some extraordinary scents. Of course, so did Dior, Chanel, etc. These days, they put out the same boring floral, sweet, or "fresh" garbage.
frown.gif

It's hard to believe that the company that makes "Allure Sport for Men" also makes Cuir de Russie.

Anyway, Chanel no. 5 for me today. Haven't worn this one in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads