• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for boots that are versatile that I could wear to work, with a pair of jeans and when I'm out for a night on the town.

I've come up with 2 choices. I like the

Wolverine 1000 mile boot
wolverine-1000-mile-boots-hypebeast-2.jpg

and the Clarks desert original

clarks-desert-boots-ronnie-fieg-3-615x409.jpg

What are your thoughts/opinions?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^those are both pretty different. wolverines are more of a big clunky work boot, and the clarks are a slim unstructured suede boot with a crepe sole.

what kind of work do you do, and what do you consider, 'a night on the town?'

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
^those are both pretty different. wolverines are more of a big clunky work boot, and the clarks are a slim unstructured suede boot with a crepe sole.

what kind of work do you do, and what do you consider, 'a night on the town?'

I"m in I.T so it's business casual. As for a night on the town, ie, going to clubs, bars, lounges.. Something that I can wear that isn't running shoes and would look good with jeans

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people wear non boot cut jeans/slim chinos with boots? Does it depend on the ankle width of the boot or is there a kind of overall standard?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
How do people wear non boot cut jeans/slim chinos with boots? Does it depend on the ankle width of the boot or is there a kind of overall standard?

You can just pull down the sides of your jeans around the sides of the boots if you want. If both items are appropriately sized, this should rarely be a problem. Slim/skinny pants usually look much better tucked as well.

shckr446

Reaction score
Wool winter coat that is not a peacoat or overcoat. Preferably less than 200

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid

I have a pair of chinos which are incredibly tight cuz they are skinny fit, and they still have room to go around my boots. This is pretty much a non-issue. Also, I dunno I think tucking them inside boots is incredibly ugly at least on me. Just wanted to share that as well.

Surreal

Reaction score
Recommend me nice casual white sneakers. Something that will go well with most of the stuff. Pimsolls maybe? I'm not looking to spent a lot, maybe 60$ after a discount? I live in Europe, so I need to calculate shipping. I will consider paying more if you post something really good. I know it's not much for shoes, but I'm looking for something casual, simple but nice for summer.

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
^ I second that question. Was thinking maybe of all white sambas or purcells. I like common projects' achilles but lol@price. If either of the above are recommended or maybe something I haven't heard of I'd appreciate it.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a leather for the fall/spring. Something quality. Any suggestions?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
Looking for a leather for the fall/spring. Something quality. Any suggestions?

I don't know man, maybe first you should kop some specificity.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
I don't know man, maybe first you should kop some specificity.
Something slimmer fitting, single or double breasted (doesn't matter to me), brown would be wonderful. I haven't a clue about leather jackets, which is why I posted here. Any brands I should look into? I like the look of the ToJ double rider & the moto, but both are discontinued (rats).' Any advice? edit: so looks like ToJ rereleased the Moto & DR? I emailed to find out more info...

Cheese1

Reaction score
Does Gap or Banana Republic have anything decent right now? My girlfriend can get me 50% off there so if I pick out a few things she could hook me up
smile.gif

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR Loafer socks are the ****.

farraj18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
Recommend me nice casual white sneakers. Something that will go well with most of the stuff. Pimsolls maybe? I'm not looking to spent a lot, maybe 60$ after a discount? I live in Europe, so I need to calculate shipping. I will consider paying more if you post something really good. I know it's not much for shoes, but I'm looking for something casual, simple but nice for summer.

Originally Posted by AlbertCamus
^ I second that question.

Was thinking maybe of all white sambas or purcells. I like common projects' achilles but lol@price.

If either of the above are recommended or maybe something I haven't heard of I'd appreciate it.

Take a look at Clae for some options/ideas that are almost always under $100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics