• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

Tried the Chanel Bleu today. God that sucked.

Sprayed it on a card and laughed. Oh good, another fresh aquatic...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How was it?

Tried the Chanel Bleu today. God that sucked.

Delicious Closet Queen is okay, but I certainly won't be buying a whole bottle. There's a very medicinal note on the top, which is not exactly like oud, but is in the ballpark. Competing with that note is a fruity note, which they call "iridescent raspberry." It smells much more like raspberry-flavored lip gloss than actual raspberry. I really don't like the way those notes blend. As it develops, the fragrance somehow ends up smelling sort of like women's makeup--like powder foundation, I think. I don't really want to smell like medicinal lip-gloss raspberry powder foundation. (Also, a closet queen who regularly went out in public smelling like women's makeup would be a bad closet queen.)

What didn't you like about the Bleu? I sampled it at Neiman and found it fairly generic, but at least not offensive.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Sprayed it on a card and laughed. Oh good, another fresh aquatic...
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
What didn't you like about the Bleu? I sampled it at Neiman and found it fairly generic, but at least not offensive.
Well, it smelled like a cross between Polo Sport and Platinum Egoiste. Plus, when it dried down, I smelled like I'd been riding horses all day without showering the day before
plain.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been avoiding trying Bleu, if only for the impending disappointment.

Although, I have to say that wide-release Chanels are not at all similar to Exclusifs.

Toda: Kiehls Musk

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Continuing with the ELdO samples, I'm wearing Vraie Blonde today.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, from the sample box. I think this might be one of Thomas' with the rubbed off labels. All but one or two of the labels are decipherable with some effort. I think one of the vials emptied completely in the baggy, thus mostly erasing the marker.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ sounds right. I sent pretty well all the TF vials I had. Pretty annoying that the markings came off, though.

Today - Kiehl's Original Musk, again.

Jacob_G

Reaction score
I normally use:
creed silver mountain water
tom ford extreme
chanel antheus
l'instant de guerlain
kiton red

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacob_G
I normally use:
kiton red

I like this too; I'm surprised it doesn't get more appreciation. It's youthful and vibrant, but it's still classic. Have you tried Kiton Napoli?

I'm giving the Delicious Closet Queen another try today. (The fragrance, I mean.) I'm liking it better, but still not a big fan.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Back at the mall again today and saw a few new releases: Zegna Forte, Bvlgari Man, and Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenzia.

Tried on the AdP Colonia Essnezia. Very weird scent to my nose. Sort of like regular Colonia mixed with baby powder on my right arm and bug spray on my left.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back at the mall again today and saw a few new releases: Zegna Forte, Bvlgari Man, and Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenzia.

Tried on the AdP Colonia Essnezia. Very weird scent to my nose. Sort of like regular Colonia mixed with baby powder on my right arm and bug spray on my left.

That's a bummer. I like the original, Intensa, and somewhat less the Absolut

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
YSL Opium (the original 'women's" one). Really a wonderful classic. A little heavy and sweet, but quite a unique experience if you've never tried it, and miles more complex, deep, and interesting than the men's Opium (which itself isn't bad.)

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wearing Purple Patchouli, the world's only indisputably great fragrance. Okay, I know that's excessive; I just got a new supply after having run out, so I'm very happy. This one's been discontinued, so it's going to get harder to find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads