• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spending $5k on suits

strungoutt1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
He didn't say he was. He said he's a lawyer.

A Juris Doctor likewise does not make you a lawyer. He has a degree in law. He is not an attorney or a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, another attorney, just what the world needs.
facepalm.gif

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strungoutt1
A Juris Doctor likewise does not make you a lawyer. He has a degree in law. He is not an attorney or a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it.

I disagree. But back to our regular programing.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend going to Mariano Rubinacci for suits. His store is called London House.

The suits are universally accepted and beyond reproach of any kind, especially on this forum, which has the harshest critics of any kind.

That would be money well spent, represent excellent value, and should last you a lifetime and give you much joy and flair and daily style.

Good luck with the law profession.

gamma1234

Reaction score
Either you are studying for the bar really early or you don't yet realize you missed the exam (the bar exam is only offered in July and February in the U.S.). Best of luck either way - I just sat for the bar so I feel your pain.

hermes man

Reaction score
you are going to be a lawyer you have to impress the judges by standing out..

to stand out u need more fashion forward suits like from prada,gucci or armani

LRMD

Reaction score
Seems pretty simple. Buy one suit. Wear it. If you like it, then buy four more.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
chaisingred: thx for the advice and time. This board goes way off topic and threads in the 15 page range are not unusual. For someone like me (no time to waste at the moment) I can't afford it. I think I will take it slow and read a little once I'm done with the bar. Still, I feel this place is not the best to learn. Unless you got tons of time to waste. Search function is useless with so much information.

vox: ty for the link. Spent 30 minutes of my precious time to read one useful post. 12 pages of bashing the guy, then one guy comes up with some useful advice.

There is a fundamental philosophical (note the small "p") issue here. For many people, a wardrobe is a thing. I need clothes. I buy clothes. I now have a wardrobe and can forget about it until I wear it out/get too fat, etc.

But a wardrobe can also be a process. A wardrobe, like a doctoral thesis, is infinitely perfectible. Unlike a doctoral thesis, however, the endless tweaking and re-organizing can be a great deal of fun.

It is tempting to go for instant gratification. But instant gratification is not all that it is cracked up to be. I suspect that you realize this as you are trying to get a PhD in philosophy.

So take the bespoke process slowly, recognizing that you are taking up a hobby, not just buying clothes. There are several reasons for this. First, you will enjoy it a lot more. Every suit, every jacket, every pair of shoes will tell a story to you when you see it in your closet. Your gray pinstripe will not just be a gray pinstripe. Rather, it will be the suit you commissioned that time in Naples and you and your wife ate at that great little trattoria just around the corner from blah, blah, blah, etc.

Second, your tastes will change both as you change and as your knowledge increases. It is much less expensive -- and less embarrassing -- to make your mistakes in serial rather than in parallel. If you commission a bunch of suits at the same time, you will inevitably realize within two years that you should have done them differently. Within four years, they will be acutely embarrassing.

As an example, you say you don't like tweed. Dude, you're going to be a philosophy professor.

So rather than go to one place, hand over your credit card and say, "Hook me up!," I suggest that you start with one project, in London where the process will be both convenient for you and comfortable. Go to, say, Anderson & Sheppard and have one suit made. You can't go too far wrong there. You will have an interesting and educational experience. You will also get an excellent suit. Then decide what you want to do next in light of what you have learned both about the process and your tastes.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor

vox: ty for the link. Spent 30 minutes of my precious time to read one useful post. 12 pages of bashing the guy, then one guy comes up with some useful advice.

Get ready for deja vu.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

You're very welcome.

You're a very thorough lawyer if you take 30 minutes to read 12 StyleForvm pages.

- B

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Damn, I lost everything else I wrote after the end quote.

Started something like this:

great, another attorney, just what the world needs.
idiot.

Then I started talking about Michael Douglas and how you're here today and tomorrow you're gone. ALso said I'm a man of good taste. I know a good thing when I see one. Art, shoes, clothes, women.

I also wrote that if you're willing to spend 5 hours researching to save $100 then you're not on the same age as I am. Life is short. I don't have a wife, no mortgage, no GF, no kids. Just became a lawyer. Have a couple of grand to spend on my wardrobe. Why not? I feel great when I shop!

But I am with you, I need to be more informed before making any decisions. So I guess I will wait 2 more weeks until I'm done with the bar (not in US) and start reading this forum.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
What a poor guy (or a poor lawyer)!
Doesn't have time to do his own research
frown.gif

Try to find a quick way around by starting his own thread
boxing[1].gif

Now he has to read all the sh*t in this thread
facepalm.gif

Yet, in the end he still won't have a clue.
lol8[1].gif

You're like the Dylan Thomas of teh StyleForvm.

- B

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I lost everything else I wrote after the end quote.

Started something like this:

idiot.

Then I started talking about Michael Douglas and how you're here today and tomorrow you're gone. ALso said I'm a man of good taste. I know a good thing when I see one. Art, shoes, clothes, women.

I also wrote that if you're willing to spend 5 hours researching to save $100 then you're not on the same age as I am. Life is short. I don't have a wife, no mortgage, no GF, no kids. Just became a lawyer. Have a couple of grand to spend on my wardrobe. Why not? I feel great when I shop!

But I am with you, I need to be more informed before making any decisions. So I guess I will wait 2 more weeks until I'm done with the bar (not in US) and start reading this forum.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Forgot to ask, you don't have a job lined up either, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads