• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden (for BB) 986s - Back from the Shop (Before & After Pictures)

Georgia

Reaction score
It took just over six weeks to get them back...Overall, I'm very happy.

Before:
027il.jpg

022oq.jpg

021coi.jpg

After:
015my.jpg

013pi.jpg

011mj.jpg

^^repaired stitching

Overall I'm very happy. I think it was worth the cost to get these restored.

I would grade the work an A-. Why not an A+? Two things: 1. the corrected stitching looks like a patch-job. Not the end of the world, but the stitching doesn't look as consistent as the rest of the shoe. 2. The right shoe (which had the stitching corrected) is a bit tighter than when I sent it (no big deal - I'm sure this will correct itself after a few rounds out and about and living with the shoe trees).

Now - the most important question - would I recommend this service to a friend? ABSOLUTELY.

Great work, Alden. I look forward to doing more business in the future. Especially since you included that catalog...

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised with the stitching. Not the end of the world like you said, but I'm still surprised. Otherwise, looks fantastic.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
They look great. It's nice that they do the Brooks Bros branding with made for BB shoes.

It's hard to tell in the pics; what was the degree of color change in the shell?

I think Alden's restoration service is a slam dunk on shell, and the way retail prices are going, it looks better on calf all the time.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The edge dressing looks like it was applied with absolutely no care. I've come to expect a little bit of that, but this shoe is worse than most.

I guess if there's something they could do a sloppy job with, that's probably one of the better areas. I'm glad you're happy with the work.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
The edge dressing looks like it was applied with absolutely no care. I've come to expect a little bit of that, but this shoe is worse than most.

I guess if there's something they could do a sloppy job with, that's probably one of the better areas. I'm glad you're happy with the work.

I didn't even notice the edge dressing. With that too as well, I'd be pretty angry.

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
It's hard to tell in the pics; what was the degree of color change in the shell?

Maybe one shade darker...They look good.

Originally Posted by Joenobody0

That was my thought exactly...they didn't get any dressing on the shell, so it's one of those 'good misses'.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Honestly, they didn't look like they needed it in the before pics.

absolutely

Georgia

Reaction score

Yeah - luckily the shell is/was is great shape.

The problem was the soles - they were wearing very thin. The stitching was unraveling as well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. The before pics look as good as the after.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads