• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 2010 I'm not sure anybody follows the rule. No white shoes,pants etc.

Dress shirts OTOH are perfectly fine.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Stupid arbitrary rule. If anyone criticizes you, just ask them what the **** the point of the rule is. There's no logical reason behind it.

viator

Reaction score
Is it insane to go to Woodbury Common in NY this weekend? If it's not insane, will it be worth my while? I am looking for a suit and had good luck at Barney's last time I was there.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
Return or keep a nicely cut pair of black wool trousers (odd trousers, not a suit) to wear to work in NYC?

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wound an automatic watch backwards a few hours like an idiot. I think I broke it. About how much would it cost to get it fixed?

I'm sticking with battery watches from now on. >
frown.gif

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
mid palm (where the fingers start). However, that's for perfectly proportional person. However, this does not apply to people with unsual Arm and/or torso lengths. Hence, take this "rule" with a grain of salt.

Onix - assume you meant the bottom of the jacket, not sleeve length? I like the suit sleeve to end so that about 1/4 inch of shirt cuff is showing.

EZ

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge? I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford) I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay?
01211-3.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Onix - assume you meant the bottom of the jacket, not sleeve length? I like the suit sleeve to end so that about 1/4 inch of shirt cuff is showing.

EZ

Argh, I misread the question. Thanks for pointing out.

moody23

Reaction score
Hello, I recently stumbled upon this amazing site. I am a recent graduate, and as a result, am not as educated on suits as the majority of the members on this board. I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Milano last year, and after witnessing the fashion of the Italian culture first hand, I have developed quite the fascination with well, crafted suits.

Anyhow, I am interested in a suit in the buy/sell area but am uncertain about whether or not it will fit me. Could someone please explain to me what the below sizing means, particularly the area regarding the size of the pants? Thank you. Typically I wear a 32 by 30 inch waist, and fit a size 38R/40S suit. Most of the suits in the buy/sell forum appear to be from Italy, so if it helps I purchased a couple of Versace suits during my stay in Milano that were size 46 and fit exceptionally well on my upper-body . I am short 5'8 with an athletic build.

40S chest: 21.5" / shoulders: 18.5" / sleeves: 23.75" / BOC: 28.25" / pants: 34.5" x 34.75", with 10" rise

Particularly, how does the 10" rise on the pants impact the sizing? Are these pants too big for me? Thank you for any help provided. Please forgive me for asking such tailor-specific questions, but I am ignorant as to buying suits online and also am not aware of my exact measurements. Thanks again

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moody23
Hello, I recently stumbled upon this amazing site. I am a recent graduate, and as a result, am not as educated on suits as the majority of the members on this board. I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Milano last year, and after witnessing the fashion of the Italian culture first hand, I have developed quite the fascination with well, crafted suits.

Anyhow, I am interested in a suit in the buy/sell area but am uncertain about whether or not it will fit me. Could someone please explain to me what the below sizing means, particularly the area regarding the size of the pants? Thank you. Typically I wear a 32 by 30 inch waist, and fit a size 38R/40S suit. Most of the suits in the buy/sell forum appear to be from Italy, so if it helps I purchased a couple of Versace suits during my stay in Milano that were size 46 and fit exceptionally well on my upper-body . I am short 5'8 with an athletic build.

40S chest: 21.5" / shoulders: 18.5" / sleeves: 23.75" / BOC: 28.25" / pants: 34.5" x 34.75", with 10" rise

Particularly, how does the 10" rise on the pants impact the sizing? Are these pants too big for me? Thank you for any help provided. Please forgive me for asking such tailor-specific questions, but I am ignorant as to buying suits online and also am not aware of my exact measurements. Thanks again

I am very confused, and I think you are too with regards to the measurements. You wear a 32 by 30 inch waist? Do you mean you wear a 32" waist with a 30" inseam?

If you typically wear a size 38 or 40 coat but an Italian size 46 (US 36) coat fit you well, then either you wear a coat that's too big normally or that Versace was a HUGE 36.

Those pants have a waist of 34.5" with an inseam (from crotch to cuff) of 34.5". Those would fit me okay (I'm 6'3 200lbs). They are WAY too big for you.

Before you spend any money buying a suit online, you need to get yourself measured by a reputable tailor or other knowledgeable individual, else you will be waisting your money.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge?

I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford)

I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay?

01211-3.jpg

I'm okay with the floral medallion. What I don't like is the broguing from the medallion up the vamp to the laces. I think it looks weird. But most people won't even notice, so if you like them, rock them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads