• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty interesting. Actually happened a few miles from my house. Via ESPN:

IRVINE, Calif. -- Forget "Fore!"

"Fire!" was the cry of the day for a golfer whose off-target swing sparked a 12-acre blaze in Southern California.

The golfer at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine landed a shot in the rough Saturday. On his next swing, his club snagged a rock, causing a spark that lit the rough ablaze and eventually attracted 150 firefighters to the scene.

Fire officials say the fire burned through the rough, into vegetation next to the course and over two dry, brushy hillsides.

No charges were filed against the golfer, whose name was withheld.

.bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Geez that's a lot of golf. I've been telling myself forever I want to do a golf only trip. Still haven't gotten around to it.

Sure was a lot of golf! Worth every moment of it. The weather didn't make it any easier, some of the guys only brought one pair of shoes, which after 18, and pouring rain left some ****** foot conditions. A few resorted to playing in sandals.

Nothing like a good group of friends to golf with. it's been a yearly tradition, and will continue to be for a while.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BDC2823 - That's Crazy!! I'll be sure to check for rocks when I'm hacking out of the hay from now on. haha

If I did a golf trip I would probably do a 5 day trip. Play a different golf course every morning, probably do it in the spring. I would only play 18 holes because I could see myself getting worn out playing 18 in the afternoon. IDK where I would want to go. I've always said Myrtle Beach.

Going to play some golf this weekend.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
BDC2823 - That's Crazy!! I'll be sure to check for rocks when I'm hacking out of the hay from now on. haha

If I did a golf trip I would probably do a 5 day trip. Play a different golf course every morning, probably do it in the spring. I would only play 18 holes because I could see myself getting worn out playing 18 in the afternoon. IDK where I would want to go. I've always said Myrtle Beach.

Going to play some golf this weekend.

I've only done one of these in my life. A buddy and I went to Hilton Head and stayed at Sea Pines. Played 18 early every morning, went to the beach and ogled women, played 18 more before dark, then went to dinner/drink and ogle more women. For six glorious days. Played all (three, then) of the Sea Pines courses. Played Harbor Town three times (it had a surcharge to our golf-inclusive package). This was about 25 years ago.

Since then it's mainly been weekenders with the boys to Austin or whatever. Those are fun too, but it's hard to beat the weeklong golf orgy.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I've only done one of these in my life. A buddy and I went to Hilton Head and stayed at Sea Pines. Played 18 early every morning, went to the beach and ogled women, played 18 more before dark, then went to dinner/drink and ogle more women. For six glorious days. Played all (three, then) of the Sea Pines courses. Played Harbor Town three times (it had a surcharge to our golf-inclusive package). This was about 25 years ago.

Since then it's mainly been weekenders with the boys to Austin or whatever. Those are fun too, but it's hard to beat the weeklong golf orgy.

Was in Hilton Head week before last. Wanted to play Heron Point, but didn't have my clubs and wasn't going to pay $55 to rent some crappy Nikes. Harbor Town looked really nice. I ended up just playing a lot of tennis and going to the beach

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer recs for courses/resorts in Palm Springs? I will be there for a week over Thanksgiving and trying to plan in the next few days. FWIW - I hate target golf, carry an 8 handicap, like to play the tips and the faster the greens the better.

I suspect iammatt will know where to play but it will probably be private.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I golfed yesterday for the first time in two years. No range time, no practice swings. Stepped up to the first tee and laced a drive 265 right down the middle, chip and a putt for birdie!

I should have quit then and there. I limped home at 9 over for nine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I golfed yesterday for the first time in two years. No range time, no practice swings. Stepped up to the first tee and laced a drive 265 right down the middle, chip and a putt for birdie!

I should have quit then and there. I limped home at 9 over for nine.

I hate you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I did something similar for Labor Day weekend some 15 years back, except it was a last-minute deal between assignments: I was on my own, stayed at some cheap hotel but got onto some decent enough courses.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I wouldn't be buying clubs right now unless I lived in a locale where I could play year round.

Yeah. I'm leaning towards not buying them. I'll keep my eyes peeled on Craigslist and ebay until them just in case.

RedScarf7

Reaction score

Doing something similar in Invermere, B.C. this coming week. Got the tee-times booked, now it is a matter of purchasing enough beer to keep us going!

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yeah. I'm leaning towards not buying them. I'll keep my eyes peeled on Craigslist and ebay until them just in case.

you can probably do as well on ebay for used

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Heading out to the range shortly. Will be trying out my new Nike driver.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Warmed up with a seven iron. Vardon grip is starting to feel comfortable and had some good swings. Took out the driver. Had a few line drives with okay distance and a couple worm rapers but nothing I was happy with. Took out seven iron to finish off and was more or less pleased at progress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads