• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident

What the **** is wrong with you? You obviously know what the guy means. So what if he doesn't know the correct terminology? Stop being a huge condescending dick and help the poor guy. And who are you to be a condescending dick to anyone? You sell clothes for a living. Do your ******* job and sell the goddamn clothes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EdenResident

He wanted a "button" shirt, which obviously means a shirt with buttons on it -- a dress shirt. Notice that he didn't use the "button-down" term the second time around but this douchebag SA decided to continue to mock the poor guy for his own amusement. And no, you don't have to "shout expletives" to be a dick. Everyone can tell how big of a dick Suitmyself was acting like in this case, despite his fake polite manner.

In the end, the customer lost nothing. He would just buy a shirt somewhere else and maybe tell his friends about "this douchebag SA" he met at a store so they would shop elsewhere as well. Suitmyself, and ultimately the store, lost out on a sale and maybe repeated business in the future. Tell me who won this fight.

Oh and BTW, the term "button down shirt" has been used casually, though technically erroneously, to refer to dress shirt/button-up shirt for a while. See here.
It's not a huge error to ridicule someone over.

Clarification on the button shirt situation:

Yes, I did take him over to our dress shirt department and I actually showed him some dress shirts, pointing out the vertaical row of buttons down the front of the shirt. You'd have thought this would have solved the issue of clarification . . . but, sadly, it didn't.

Dude looked at the shirts and said he wanted a button shirt.

"All shirts have buttons, sir!"

That was when the expletives began.

You would think buddy would have just picked a shirt and said, "I'll take this one" or something like that; in other words, all he had to do was point to which one he liked and that would have been it.

But no.

He didn't do that.

He just looked at all the shirts and said, "I need a BUTTON SHIRT!"

Yes, I even pointed out what a button-down collar would look like (I pointed to the collar points on a shirt and explained there would be a button at the end of each collar point if it was a button-down collar) but, NO, BUDDY STILL DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE **** I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

Stupid dumbass moron.

You would all be surprised how many customers come in referring to a dress shirt as a button shirt. I'd suppose that in their minds, a "non" button shirt would be anything but a dress shirt (e.g. a t-shirt, a golf shirt, that sort of thing). Everytime someone comes in looking for a button shirt, I always say " . . . all shirts have buttons" and they they explain themselves by going into mime mode and using their fingers to point to a row of buttons running down their torso.

Did I think buddy meant a button-down collar? No. He was obviously NOT referring to a button-down collar.

Did I think he meant a plain regular ol' dress shirt with--wait for it!--buttons going down the front in a vertical row? Most likely.

BUT WHY THE **** DIDN'T HE GRAB ONE AFTER I SHOWED HIM WHAT A ******* DRESS SHIRT LOOKED LIKE? WHY THE **** DIDN'T HE CONFIRM THAT WAS WHAT HE WAS LOOKING FOR?

NO, BUDDY WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT AS YET DESIGNED BY MERE MORTAL HUMAN MINDS. BUDDY WAS IN HIS OWN ******* WORLD WITH HIS OWN ******* VERSION OF A BUTTON-SHIRT. HE WANTED SOMETHING THAT WAS AKIN TO WHAT PEOPLE WEAR ON HIS HOME PLANET ALPHA BIZARRO CENTAURI.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7

Um, he walked into a men's clothing store wanting a button shirt. Take him to the ******* OCBD sections and the regular formal dress shirt sections and see wtf he was talking about. No point in being a complete anal prick about it. You're just mad because you're also a dumbass.

In my original post I had already mentioned we did not have button-down collar shirts at the time.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I got it... what an idiot. wtf was he talking about?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator

From the way you wrote this, it appears that you and he both knew exactly what he was looking for, and that you needlessly tormented him for his inability to use the terminology you prefer.

In my original post I had already mentioned we did not have button-down collar shirts at the time.

mondayc

Reaction score
Maybe he meant a polo shirt? Besides dress shirts and OCBD shirts, I can't think of anything else. And I've heard neck ties being called "collar attachments."

I had some woman go off on me last night because I asked for her ID after seeing "SEE ID" on the back of her credit card. WTF? You wrote it there. Not my worst, rudest, or most ignorant, but still.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc

Maybe he meant a polo shirt? Besides dress shirts and OCBD shirts, I can't think of anything else. And I've heard neck ties being called "collar attachments."

I had some woman go off on me last night because I asked for her ID after seeing "SEE ID" on the back of her credit card. WTF? You wrote it there. Not my worst, rudest, or most ignorant, but still.

A tie is a collar attachment? Some people are so stupid. Who the hell DOESN'T know a tie by name?!

I had one guy who didn't sign his credit card and I said to him he really should sign it to ensure his own security in the event his card should become lost or stolen to prevent the thief from signing his own signature on the signature strip and going on a wild shopping spree with his stolen card.

Buddy looked me dead in the eye, signed for his purchase, made a big show of shoving his card back into his wallet, turned, and left.

Whatever, buddy. Just don't cry a ******* river if your cardgets lost or stolen with no signature on the back.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7

Um, he walked into a men's clothing store wanting a button shirt. Take him to the ******* OCBD sections and the regular formal dress shirt sections and see wtf he was talking about. No point in being a complete anal prick about it. You're just mad because you're also a dumbass.

Technically, a "formal" shirt is a tuxedo shirt, not a "regular" dress shirt that one wears with a "regular" four-in-hand necktie when wearing a suit, sports jacket, or blazer.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm just a "dumbass".

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
It was shipment day. Anyone who's worked store-level knows the agony of receiving and putting away hundreds of boxes of inventory. Anyone who's worked store-level also knows that business always seems to pick up on this day. With more business naturally comes more idiot customers.

I'd been busy putting away products while another employee was assisting a customer. Somewhere along the line, he walked away from her and she made her way to the counter unnoticed. No one's there to help her, and so she calls over to me, "Helloooo."

Me: Are you ready to check-out?
Her: (with an attitude) Obviously

I ring up the protein bar that she wants to purchase, and I read her the total (about $3). She gets a sour look on her face.

Her: What!? That's not the price
Me: It's $2.99 before tax
Her: No it's not. That's not what he told me (referring to the other employee, who has magically disappeared at this point)
Me: There's a $2.99 sticker on the wrapper
Her: Wait a minute. (Walks over to the aisle that she got the bar from) See!?
Me: (Walks over)
Her: It says $1.59
Me: (realizing the issue) This box is in the wrong place.
Her: The wrong place? Oh well. Not my problem.
Me: Clearly, it belongs on the shelf with all of the other bars from this brand.
Her: Clearly, it wasn't there. I want that price
Me: I can't give it to you at that price. I'm sorry for any confusion, but I'm not sure how the box got there (I step back to the register)
Her: You're sorry? That's false advertising. If it says $1.59, I should get $1.59
Me: (agitated) It does say $1.59, but it ALSO says the product name that it refers to. It's not this one (holding up the bar). I couldn't sell you a $100 product for 5 bucks just because someone sat it in the wrong place, especially if the price tag tells you that it doesn't refer to the $100 product.
Her: That's not my problem. That's why you have price tags: So we know the price
Me: That's true, but that's why we have employees: So we can explain things to you when you're not sure about it. Again, there's a $2.99 sticker on the bar.
Her: (shocked)
Me: You can buy the $1.59 bar if you want, but I can only sale this one to you for $2.99. Do you want it?
Her: Yeah. I'm not going to put it back over $1, but I want to talk to the manager
Me: (putting her money in the drawer) Thanks (smiles). Sure, you can speak to the manager
Her: Where is he
Me: He's gone for the day
Her: When will he be back
Me: Tomorrow
Her: I want to tell him about this false advertising.
Me: Feel free. He'll tell you the same thing that I did
Her: OK. Write down the store phone number
Me: (handing her a receipt) It's on the top of your receipt (attempts to circle the number)
Her: (snatches the receipt) I said "write it down."
Me: (no response)
Her: You act like you're scared to write it down....
Me: Scared? Of you? (smiling) Why? Rest assured, you can talk as loud as you want. It doesn't bother me at all. Besides, I'll never see you again after this. Have a nice day (walks away).
Her: (Says something as I'm walking away)
Me: (without turning around) Have a nice day

You have to love customers who feel that they can out-talk employees and send them running to the nearest corner from a slight raise of the voice. The truth is, when you behave like an ass to an employee, things become difficult for you. Any chance that you had of pleading your case goes out of the window.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc

She was probably a lawyer and meant "See Id."

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
It was shipment day. Anyone who's worked store-level knows the agony of receiving and putting away hundreds of boxes of inventory. Anyone who's worked store-level also knows that business always seems to pick up on this day. With more business naturally comes more idiot customers.

I'd been busy putting away products while another employee was assisting a customer. Somewhere along the line, he walked away from her and she made her way to the counter unnoticed. No one's there to help her, and so she calls over to me, "Helloooo."

Me: Are you ready to check-out?
Her: (with an attitude) Obviously

I ring up the protein bar that she wants to purchase, and I read her the total (about $3). She gets a sour look on her face.

Her: What!? That's not the price
Me: It's $2.99 before tax
Her: No it's not. That's not what he told me (referring to the other employee, who has magically disappeared at this point)
Me: There's a $2.99 sticker on the wrapper
Her: Wait a minute. (Walks over to the aisle that she got the bar from) See!?
Me: (Walks over)
Her: It says $1.59
Me: (realizing the issue) This box is in the wrong place.
Her: The wrong place? Oh well. Not my problem.
Me: Clearly, it belongs on the shelf with all of the other bars from this brand.
Her: Clearly, it wasn't there. I want that price
Me: I can't give it to you at that price. I'm sorry for any confusion, but I'm not sure how the box got there (I step back to the register)
Her: You're sorry? That's false advertising. If it says $1.59, I should get $1.59
Me: (agitated) It does say $1.59, but it ALSO says the product name that it refers to. It's not this one (holding up the bar). I couldn't sell you a $100 product for 5 bucks just because someone sat it in the wrong place, especially if the price tag tells you that it doesn't refer to the $100 product.
Her: That's not my problem. That's why you have price tags: So we know the price
Me: That's true, but that's why we have employees: So we can explain things to you when you're not sure about it. Again, there's a $2.99 sticker on the bar.
Her: (shocked)
Me: You can buy the $1.59 bar if you want, but I can only sale this one to you for $2.99. Do you want it?
Her: Yeah. I'm not going to put it back over $1, but I want to talk to the manager
Me: (putting her money in the drawer) Thanks (smiles). Sure, you can speak to the manager
Her: Where is he
Me: He's gone for the day
Her: When will he be back
Me: Tomorrow
Her: I want to tell him about this false advertising.
Me: Feel free. He'll tell you the same thing that I did
Her: OK. Write down the store phone number
Me: (handing her a receipt) It's on the top of your receipt.
Her: I said "write it down."
Me: (no response)
Her: You act like you're scared to write it down....
Me: Scared? Of you? (smiling) Why? Rest assured, you can talk as loud as you want. It doesn't bother me. Besides, I'll never see you again after this. Have a nice day (walks away).
Her: (Says something as I'm walking away)
Me: (without turning around) Have a nice day

That belongs on Youtube.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

do you guys seriously remember these long drawn out conversations, or do you just make up half the dialogue?

The dialgoue is not verbatim but is drawn from memory of how the scenario took place.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I was referring to the fact that many people refer to dress shirts as "button downs" or "button ups." But in any event, your explanation that you showed the guy a bunch of shirts causes me to retract my earlier statement.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
what started as comedy is now becoming tragicomedy. on multiple levels.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
what started as comedy is now becoming tragicomedy. on multiple levels.

The all thing will become an existentialist drama very soon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads