• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Despos Thread

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
. They fall from the shoulder point to the wrist in one sweeping curve, without any snagging or rumpling....
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy... These sleeves not only lack the obvious faults that we see very often, namely divots, pitch problems, and what is often misinterpreted as pitch problems but is really a problem with the way the shape of the sleeve is balanced to the shape of the armhole, but there are more subtle details which are not obvious to the casual observer but quite obvious to me. The lower part of the front of the sleeve requires a certain amount of fullness and a certain handling to get it right and we often see sleeves that are too dry and that don't "close" (not sure how to explain that simply). For some reason the English are more guilty than others of this sin. So what's the big deal, if it's not so obvious to the casual observer? Well, look at Yachtie's right arm- he's holding it away from his body which is causing very minor draw lines on the sleeve. If the front notch area of the sleeve were too dry, as many of the sleeves we have seen recently, this drawing would be really bad- they would appear to twist a whole lot but they don't. It gives him a better range of movement without disturbing the sleeve. Anyway, it elevates it from a sleeve that is merely "correct" or "without obvious fault" to a sleeve which is quite excellent. And George, if the love is too much for you, I invite you to search out the divot thread. And while you're at it, you could dig out a photo of Manton's latest coat from A&S. IIRC, that a good example of what I mean by a "dry" sleeve; I just don't remember where to find it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
And George, if the love is too much for you, I invite you to search out the divot thread. And while you're at it, you could dig out a photo of Manton's latest coat from A&S. IIRC, that a good example of what I mean by a "dry" sleeve; I just don't remember where to find it.
Did anyone ever tell you that you have a cruel streak.
wink.gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
thanks, jeffery - this is the kind of commentary that is helpful.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
thanks, jeffery - this is the kind of commentary that is helpful.
I can see you being a bad influence on here. I shall have to start canvassing for a ban. By PM of course.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
The lower part of the front of the sleeve requires a certain amount of fullness and a certain handling to get it right and we often see sleeves that are too dry and that don't "close" (not sure how to explain that simply). For some reason the English are more guilty than others of this sin. So what's the big deal, if it's not so obvious to the casual observer? Well, look at Yachtie's right arm- he's holding it away from his body which is causing very minor draw lines on the sleeve. If the front notch area of the sleeve were too dry, as many of the sleeves we have seen recently, this drawing would be really bad- they would appear to twist a whole lot but they don't.

I -think- I understand- perhaps you have a few other pictures to help illustrate what you mean by too dry? Thanks Jeffery.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I -think- I understand- perhaps you have a few other pictures to help illustrate what you mean by too dry? Thanks Jeffery.

I don't think it would be obvious without a very thorough explanation, and I'm not sure I'm in the mood for the sort of melee that usually starts when pointing out faults in other people's garments. Besides, this is Chris' thread; let's just say he makes a killer sleeve and leave it there.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm wearing RTW, non-Despos sleeves.

Their shape and fit are pedestrian.

No divots or pitch problems, though, so if I wore them in Chris's shop, he would have to pick one or more of several possible other reasons to throw me out.

This is a good point in this thread to introduce the word, "kimchi." This word is actually an acronym for the Japanese sentence, "Get a breath mint, you barbarian."

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This is a good point in this thread to introduce the word, "kimchi." This word is actually an acronym for the Japanese sentence, "Get a breath mint, you barbarian."

- B

this thread delivers

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing RTW, non-Despos sleeves. Their shape and fit are pedestrian. No divots or pitch problems, though, so if I wore them in Chris's shop, he would have to pick one or more of several possible other reasons to throw me out. This is a good point in this thread to introduce the word, "kimchi." This word is actually an acronym for the Japanese sentence, "Get a breath mint, you barbarian." - B
Kimchi, has the taste and consistency of Yak vomit.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Kimchi, has the taste and consistency of Yak vomit.

Glad you are familiar with the taste of yak vomit. So what are you saying about Koreans and Vox who like the stuff so much?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Glad you are familiar with the taste of yak vomit. So what are you saying about Koreans and Vox who like the stuff so much?
Eh?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Japanese and Koreans are both barbarians, silly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads