• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help Globetrotter build a new wardrobe

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I need a new wardrobe, and I have earmarked the money for it. I hope to buy around January-Feb.

about me - I am a director in a 200 mil company, father of twin 4 year olds and a 9 year old, 43. short and broad, full head of hair, light skin. ex-military

what do I want? - I like to have a simple wardrobe, not really flashy or looking like it consits of a lot, but I want it to look better, more organized, neater. for influence, I really like the simple lines of il vechio, I like the type of look of Dennis Farina in Law and order, I like the idea of very simple clothing with a good fit and excellent fabric, in dark blue and gray, with blue and white shirts.

here is what I am thinking -

8 suits - 4 heavy wool, midnight blue single and double breasted, charcoal gray single and double breasted, all solid fabric. same thing in light weight wool. for each jacket, 2 pair of matching pants and one non-matcing (say a patterned) pair. 8 waistcoats, 4 matching and 4 in different colors.

5 pair of black cordovan ankle boots - one monk, one austerity, one brogue, one whole cut medalian, one split toe.

36 shirts - 9 linen - 3 white, 3 blue 3 blue with white colar and cuffs. 9 light wool - 3 white, 3 blue, 3 blue whith white colar and cuffs. 18 cotton, 6/6/6.

16 ties, all gray or dark blue, seven fold. 4 summer, 4 wool, 8 silk. a few striped and pin dots, but mostly solid.

4 pair boxcloth susperders in bright colors,

one alegator belt

15 pocket squares in bright colors

one alpaca overcoat, dark gray

one trilby in dark gray

the plan is that I want to buy the fabric and buttons, get linings made with some bright designs on them, then get the clothes made.

I am open to any suggestions and comments. not locked into anything yet. have a few months to tweak the plan.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****. Best "help me dress better" thread I've ever seen.

It looks like you know what items you need, what kind of budget have you set asside for this? I could easily spend £20,000 on that lot and still only go with budget-bespoke!

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you plan to do with your current lineup, trash it all?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you plan is specific enough.
laugh.gif
If you're in Chicago, you have local and visiting options for custom clothes. It would probabably make the most sense if you meet with a few tailors and see who clicks with you in style and personality. Your list seems heavy on vests and light on odd jackets, unless the objective of your list is to supplement a larger existing wardrobe. - B

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, a few more details -

a few ties and 2 pair of shoes are staying (and included in the list) everything else is going, I've lost a bit over 120 pounds, and I am hoping to lose 30 or 40 more by the time I pull the trigger. my clothes are all old, and don't fit me.

I will have everything made in india, the shoes will be alden or vass, the ties hober.

the budget is much smaller than you would think, but I am convinced that I can get what I want for about 12 K, with the proper work and negotiation.

I don't wear any odd jackets today - I may add 2 alpaca double breasted jackts and 2 tweed single breasted to this. I like th add vests, but I may drop some.

I see the idea that pretty much all of these jackts/pants and vest could be worn with each other.

go! advise me, offer me wisdom and guidance.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, a few more details -

a few ties and 2 pair of shoes are staying (and included in the list) everything else is going, I've lost a bit over 120 pounds, and I am hoping to lose 30 or 40 more by the time I pull the trigger. my clothes are all old, and don't fit me.

I will have everything made in india, the shoes will be alden or vass, the ties hober.

the budget is much smaller than you would think, but I am convinced that I can get what I want for about 12 K, with the proper work and negotiation.

I don't wear any odd jackets today - I may add 2 alpaca double breasted jackts and 2 tweed single breasted to this. I like th add vests, but I may drop some.

I see the idea that pretty much all of these jackts/pants and vest could be worn with each other.

go! advise me, offer me wisdom and guidance.

I've answered your thread in the streetwear section. I know you travel a lot so I agree the modular wardrobe is optimal. I'M not sure what you gain by having 5 pair of boots if you only ever bring 1-2 though. I'd get like 4 and be done with it (hate split toes-ditch that
smile.gif
). The suit thing is perfect. I'd lower the shirt count to two weeks (14 shirts + say 6 extra=20). I'd then make another order 6 months down the road if I needed it, leaves you time to think.

I would get two overcoats; one lighter than the other. There is nothing more annoying than only being adapted to super freezing, you need to be fine in mid cold too. Casablanca in december isn't Munich in december...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, congratulations on the discipline in losing all that weight.

I have to admit that I'm skeptical about a strategy that involves having everything made all at once in India.

OTH, if you are addressing an immediate need in January, but spending modestly so that you can see how your weight settles out in the first year after your weight loss, it could make sense.

- B

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

I have to admit that I'm skeptical about a strategy that involves having everything made all at once in India.

So am I. Which Indian tailor do you intend to use for 8 suits in one go ? Have you considered HK as an alternative

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a sportcoat kind of guy, you are not apparently, so what you have in mind seems great for you. What is missing is a casual wardrobe. You mentioned that you are the father of 3, young twins and a 9 year old. You're gonna need some stuff to knock a ball around/hang out at home with them. I'd add to that list three pair of jeans, dark, raw denim, a lighter wash, and something else (maybe black?). Two pairs of casual khakis (not dress khakis) and 5 polo shirts. I'd also add some casual sport shirts (think JCrew, patterned, can be worn tucked in or out), maybe 5 of those. A pair of Jack Purcells in white or off white and a pair of all-stars. Top it off with a pair of LLBean Bluchers Mocs (or their signature line's Blucher Boots) and a pea coat and you sound good to go.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I'm a sportcoat kind of guy, you are not apparently, so what you have in mind seems great for you. What is missing is a casual wardrobe.

rob, there's a thread on his own in sw&d
laugh.gif

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been there, and am currently in the very same boat as you are. I've dropped 145 pounds in the last 2 years, and have fluctuated up and down 15 pounds over the last year. I want to rebuild a staple wardrobe myself, mainly a much simpler pair of SB suits, solid dark grey and navy. But I've held off commissioning Chan to do these, until I settle out at the goal weight for more than 9 months. Ideally, I hope to drop the last 28 pounds or so, before I pull the trigger.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought it was interesting to see someone in the same boat. You're wardrobe overhaul seems to be on a much grander scale than mine although.

Best of luck!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Well, congratulations on the discipline in losing all that weight.

OTH, if you are addressing an immediate need in January, but spending modestly so that you can see how your weight settles out in the first year after your weight loss, it could make sense.

- B

I agree with vox here. My issue isn't with the country of origin, but rather with the idea of doing it all at once. If you're unhappy with the tailor's work, you're pretty much screwed. Good luck either way. This seems like quite the sartorial adventure.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My friend who first went to Raphael was convinced he could get similarly excellent results from an Indian tailor touted to be one of the best. He got a suit. It was dirt cheap ($100, I think). It looks like garbage.

Perhaps you know better about where to go, but everyone else is right: ordering all that stuff in one visit would be disastrous regardless of the tailor or geographical location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads